X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode Island Influenza 2017-18: 12 fatalities

Flu Strains R.I. Emergency Rooms

By LYNN ARDITI
    Nearly 300 people have been hospitalized for the flu in Rhode Island this season and emergency rooms at two local hospitals are overwhelmed with patients.

State Health Director Nicole Alexander-Scott said Wednesday the recent spike in flu-related hospitalizations is ?not significantly higher? than it was last season. However, she said, the increase is contributing to longer wait times at Rhode Island Hospital and The Miriam Hospital emergency rooms.

Dr. John Miskovsky, a family physician in Pawtucket, said the problem is especially acute at The Miriam.

?It?s just been insane,?? he said. ?I mean I?ve had patients tell me they?ve waited 13 hours in the Emergency Department to have a determination made (as to) whether they need to be admitted. And once they?ve been admitted, they?ve waited three or four days in emergency holding areas to get beds.?

The recent closing of Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket, Miskovsky said, is partly to blame. ?Couple a bad flu season with one less emergency department,?? he said, ?and it?s really been almost catastrophic.??

Rhode Island health officials said there have been seven flu-related deaths and 295 hospitalizations so far this season. Last year, 33 people died and 1,216 were hospitalized due to flu-related illnesses.
    Nearly 300 people have been hospitalized for the flu in Rhode Island this season and emergency rooms at two local hospitals are overwhelmed with patients.
    Last edited by JimO; January 30, 2018, 10:19 AM.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Eleven people in RI connected to flu-related deaths
    by NBC 10 NEWS Thursday, January 25th 2018

There have been 11 flu-related deaths in the Ocean State, according to The Rhode Island Department of Health.

Ten of the 11 have been people over the age of 65 years old.
    The Rhode Island Department of Health said there have been 11 flu-related deaths in the state so far this season.Ten of the 11 were people over the age of 65.The Health Department on Thursday said 300 people in the state have been hospitalized with the flu
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

POW! Science! owner dies from flu
      By Matt Sheley | Staff writer Jan 30, 2018 Updated 5 hrs ago 1

NEWPORT ? Eric Bulmer was more than just the co-owner of the POW! Science! store in Wakefield.

Friends said Bulmer inspired young minds and helped them embrace their naturally inquisitive nature. He also gave them a feeling of strength and belief, often dressing as comic book superhero Captain America at area events.

On Monday, the life of the 48-year-old Newport man was celebrated after he died from unexpected complications with the flu over the weekend.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

RI Department of Health continues to encourage people to get flu shots
        by CRYSTAL BUI, NBC 10 NEWS Tuesday, February 27th 2018

Since the beginning of February, the influenza is starting to level out. However, though it?s still the highest tier of the wide-spread flu, luckily, the numbers of people sick with the virus are finally coming down.

It's not over yet, but there have been fewer hospitalizations for the flu.

Since the beginning of February, the influenza is starting to level out. However, though it?s still the highest tier of the wide-spread flu, luckily, the numbers of people sick with the virus are finally coming down.

?It's been a severe flu season,? said Joseph Wendelken of the Rhode Island Department of Health.

There have been 34 flu-related deaths in Rhode Island so far in 2017. That's compared to about 33 deaths last year.
        It's not over yet, but there have been fewer hospitalizations for the flu.Since the beginning of February, the influenza is starting to level out. However, though it’s still the highest tier of the wide-spread flu, luckily, the numbers of people sick with

Comment

Working...
        X