• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma doctors calm Swine Flu fears

Oklahoma doctors calm Swine Flu fears
    Reported by: Jason Grubbs

Last Update: 8:49 pm

Local doctors are trying to calm the public's fears about Swine Flu.

They're hoping H1N1 education will rein in the hype.

Dr. Stephen Thomas is chair of OU-Tulsa's Emergency Medicine Department.

He's starting to see more possible cases of H1N1; but, Dr. Thomas says that isn't cause for panic, "The more information we have the less concerned we're going to be."

Dr. Thomas is trying to educate the public by hosting forums.

He's covering all corners of the virus, like what does the flu looks like and who needs to be vaccinated?

Dr. Thomas says a majority of patients are going to be just fine.

But, there are some groups which need more attention, "Even in those groups it's added precaution it's not necessarily a case where those patients are inevitably going to have a bad problem."

"I think that we're taking valuable resources that should be spent for other areas," State Representative Mike Ritze is hoping the hype will start to subside.

He's one of two medical doctors in the Oklahoma Legislature.

Thursday, the lawmaker from Broken Arrow warned of panic, "I think we're pushing too quickly and it's hype, just like we've done with the West Nile and the Avian Flu and the SARS. We need to back up and says where are our priorities."

"I think it's probably hyped up a little bit," Lionel Hefley agrees with Representative Ritze.

Hefley attended the swine flu forum and says he's more worried about the common seasonal virus, "I haven't made up my mind yet on it whether I'll take the Swine Flu shot yet or not."

Shipments of the new H1N1 vaccine are expected to be in Oklahoma sometime next month.

This week, 20 people in Oklahoma have been hospitalized with symptoms.

Two people have actually died from Swine Flu complications, both with underlying medical conditions.

One lived in Kay County, the other Carter County.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X