• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Influenza 2017-18; 60 fatalities, including 3 children

Second pediatric flu-related death reported in Ohio today
    Updated 4:45 PM; Posted 4:34 PM

By Marcia Pledger, The Plain Dealer
    The Ohio Department of Health reports the state's first pediatric flu-related death of the 2017-18 flu season, a 1-year-old boy from Lucas County and a 4-year-old boy from Montgomery County.
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...related_d.html

4-year-old boy is Ohio's first child flu-related death this season
    Updated 10:44 AM; Posted 10:43 AM

Influenza claimed the lives of two people in Northeast Ohio, according to the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. A 70-year-old woman from Mentor died during the week of Dec. 24-30, and a 92-year-old woman from North Royalton died in October, the board said.
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...ios_first.html
    Last edited by JimO; January 12, 2018, 02:18 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Summit County reports 5 flu deaths, including one child, this season

AKRON, Ohio? Summit County Public Health reported there have been five flu deaths in the county so far this season.

Four of the victims were adults and one was a child.

Last year, there were 10 adult flu deaths in Summit County during the entire season. The flu season typically lasts from October through May.

“It is still not too late to get your flu vaccination. Flu vaccinations are still available at most healthcare providers’ offices and retail pharmacies. There are currently no vaccine shortages in Ohio,” Summit County Public Health said in a news release on Friday.

Earlier this week, the Ohio Department of Health reported the first two pediatric flu deaths in the state: a 4-year-old from Montgomery County and an 18-month-old from Lucas County.

In Cuyahoga County, there have been two flu-related deaths, including a 70-year-old woman.
    AKRON, Ohio-- Summit County Public Health reported there have been five flu deaths in the county so far this season. Four of the victims were adults and one was a child. Last year, there were 10 adult flu deaths in Summit County during the entire season.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

JIm - I get 9 total.

Lucas 1
      Montgomery 1
      Cuyahoga 2 (the 2 in post 2 are the same as the 2 in post 1)
      Summit 5
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Three more flu-related deaths reported in Lucas County

Photo courtesy of U.S. Air Force / MGN
        By Brian Trauring | Posted: Fri 2:00 PM, Jan 12, 2018 | Updated: Fri 2:21 PM, Jan 12, 2018

TOLEDO, Ohio (13abc Action News) - Three more "preseumptive" flu-related deaths were reported by the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department. So far, 212 flu-related hospitalizations have occurred in Lucas County.

The cases were all reported within the last several days according to a Health Department news release. The cases involved a 58-year-old woman and an 86-year-old and 90-year-old man.

Comment

Sorry Ro for the confusion. I'm a little rusty.
          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

LOLZ - It's like the good ole days around here! Nice to have you posting, Jim!!

Comment

Local cab driver dies after being hospitalized for flu
              Family: Local man dies after getting the flu

By Tony Geftos | Posted: Sun 11:25 AM, Jan 14, 2018 | Updated: Sun 12:26 PM, Jan 14, 2018

TOLEDO (WTVG) -- At least four people in Lucas County have died in the past week after getting the flu.

Now, one local family says the influenza virus has led to the death of yet another person.

"I thought I had hoped he would get better, but it didn't turn out that way," says Erica Orwig, whose husband, Michael Orwig died January 11, 2018, at the age of 71.
              The family of a 71-year-old man in Toledo says he went to the hospital for treatment of the influenza virus, but never returned home.

Comment

Flu raging through Ohio, with a third child dead; precautions you can take to stay well
                Anne Saker, asaker@enquirer.com Published 5:01 p.m. ET Jan. 17, 2018 | Updated 7:45 p.m. ET Jan. 17, 2018

Ohio registered a third child death from flu this week as the illness rages as an epidemic in the nation.

The Ohio Department of Health reported the third pediatric death this flu season, in Summit County. Last week, 20 children died from flu across the country ? and four of those were in Ohio and Kentucky. Hospitalizations are running ahead of last year's numbers.

Comment

Fifth Lucas County death confirmed from flu-like symptoms

TOLEDO, Ohio (WNWO) The flu epidemic continues in Lucas County as a fifth death has been reported. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department announced the death of a 71-year-old South Toledo man Wednesday, adding to the list of four adults and one 18-month-old boy this flu season.

The most recent death from flu-like symptoms adds to the season that has seen more than 240 hospitalizations in Lucas County.
                  The flu epidemic continues in Lucas County as a fifth death has been reported.The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department announced the death of a 71-year-old South Toledo man Wednesday, adding to the list of four adults and one 18-month-old boy this flu sea

Comment

The Cayuga County Health Department is reporting a total of five adult fatalities through Week 2. See comments under Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cayuga County.PNG
Views:	1249
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	788599
                    ? Flu Season Rating Guide The flu season rating guide offers information about the seven indicators found in the weekly flu surveillance report that are used to measure flu activity within Cuyahoga County. Please click here to view the guide. ? 2017-2018 Flu Season 2018 Week 2: January 7-13 Week 1: December 31 ? January ?

Comment

Flu involved in one death, sends several to hospital

Illness associated with the flu has been blamed for one death in Ashtabula County and hospitalized more than a dozen people so far this flu season, health officials said Wednesday.

The death occurred earlier this month and involved a resident over the age of 65, said Chris Kettunen, director of nursing for the Ashtabula County Health Department.

As of Wednesday, 19 hospitalizations associated with the flu have been reported in all three of the county?s health districts: eight in the county, four in Conneaut and seven in Ashtabula.

Numbers are already ahead, or on a pace to beat, of totals posted in the 2016-2017 flu season, officials said. Last season, upwards of five hospitalizations were reported in the county, Kettunen said, while the city of Ashtabula saw a total of 13 hospitalizations, according to Ashtabula Health Commissioner Christine Hill.

?It?s a little early to be seeing this,? Kettunen said. ?We could be seeing more (hospitalizations).?

No flu-related deaths were reported last season, she said.

Flu season traditionally can extend well into spring. With many weeks remaining, Ashtabula Health Commissioner Christine Hill is worried numbers in her city could climb much higher, especially when school convenes on a more regular basis. Classes in the city?s school district have been spotty the past few weeks because of brutal winter weather ? which may actually have helped slow the spread of viruses, she said.

The Ohio Department of Health last week reported 1,750 new flu-associated hospitalizations across thestate during the first week of January, a big jump from the 925 reported the last week of December, according to a statement.

Illness associated with the flu has been blamed for one death in Ashtabula County and hospitalized more than a dozen people so far this flu season, health officials said Wednesday.

Comment

2018 Flu update: Death toll reaches 11 in Cuyahoga County

Six additional flu-related deaths were reported this week in Cuyahoga County, bringing the total number of flu-related deaths this season to 11. The Cuyahoga County Public Health Collaborative reported the totals on Thursday in its influenza report for the week of Jan. 14-20...

Comment

10 flu, pneumonia deaths in Medina County since beginning of influenza season

MEDINA COUNTY, Ohio ? There have been 10 deaths associated with influenza or pneumonia since the beginning of the flu season in Medina County, according to health officials.

The data is according to the Medina County Health Department?s Influenza Activity Report for Jan. 14 to Jan. 20.

The number has doubled since the department?s report dated Dec. 10 to Dec. 16.

Note: Given that these are described as P&I deaths, I did not add them to the total.

MEDINA COUNTY, Ohio -- There have been 10 deaths associated with influenza or pneumonia since the beginning of the flu season in Medina County, according to health officials. The data is according to the Medina County Health Department's Influenza Activity Report for Jan. 14 to Jan. 20.

Comment

Five more flu-related deaths in Cuyahoga County

CLEVELAND? Five more people have died from flu-related deaths in Cuyahoga County, the board of health said on Thursday.

The victims were a 93-year-old man from Euclid, a 90-year-old woman from Independence, an 87-year-old woman from Mayfield Heights, a 60-year-old woman from Parma and an 87-year-old man from Westlake. The deaths occurred between Jan. 21 and Jan. 27.

The Cuyahoga County Board of Health said that brings the total number of flu-related deaths to 16 for the season...

CLEVELAND-- Five more people have died from flu-related deaths in Cuyahoga County, the board of health said on Thursday. The victims were a 93-year-old man from Euclid, a 90-year-old woman from Independence, an 87-year-old woman from Mayfield Heights, a 60-year-old woman from Parma and an 87-year...

Comment

JIm - I get 29 total, what am I missing?
                              Ashtabula: 1
                              Lucas 5
                              Montgomery 1
                              Cuyahoga 16
                              Summit 6

Comment

• JimO
                                JimO commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I had one less in Summit and needed to update that and I went ahead and added in the 10 deaths reported in Medina County even though they reported them as deaths due to influenza and pneumonia. If you think we should, we could delete those 10 from the total.
                            Working...
                            X