Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Influenza 2017-18; 24 fatalities, including 5 children

Monroe County reports first flu death of season
    Patti Singer, @PattiSingerRoc Published 9:44 a.m. ET Jan. 10, 2018 | Updated 11:37 a.m. ET Jan. 10, 2018

Monroe County reported its first flu death of the season ? a person between 50 and 64 years old.

The death was recorded in the county's influenza report for the week ending Dec. 30 and posted on the web site of the Department of Public Health.
    https://www.democratandchronicle.com...on/1019935001/
    Last edited by JimO; February 6, 2018, 11:49 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

New York State Health Commissioner Reminds New Yorkers to Get Flu Vaccine
    State Reports First Pediatric Death from Influenza
    Number of Influenza Cases Rise Sharply Across New York; Rate Highest in Central New York
    ALBANY, NY (January 11, 2018) ? New York State Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker today urged all New Yorkers six months of age and over who have not yet received a flu shot to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Over the past week, cases of influenza rose by 37%, and new cases of influenza were reported in 61 of 62 counties.

New York State also reported its first influenza-associated pediatric death this season, which was confirmed by the Wadsworth Center, the state's public health laboratory. To protect the family's privacy, the Department can only confirm that the death occurred downstate.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Three dead in three weeks in Monroe County

Rochester, N.Y. ? The Monroe County Health Department reports the number of flu-related deaths this season has risen to three.
      Last week, the department cited one death in a report on flu cases that was released through December 30, 2017.
      In a new report, dated through January 6, a total of three deaths are reported, with 916 lab-confirmed cases of the flu and 278 hospitalizations.
      The two most-recent deaths reportedly happened to individuals between the ages of 75 and 84 years old.
      Rochester, N.Y. ? The Monroe County Health Department reports the number of flu-related deaths this season has risen to three.Last week, the department cited one death in a report on flu cases that was released through December 30, 2017.In a new report, da
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

2 more flu-related deaths reported in Monroe County
        January 22, 2018 01:59 PM

Two more people have died as a result of the flu in Monroe County.

The Monroe County Department of Health cited the deaths in a report on flu cases through Jan. 13. One person was between the ages of 75 and 84; the other was 85 years old or older.

In total, since flu season began on Oct. 1, three people between the ages of 75 and 84, one person between the ages of 50 and 64, and one person 85 years old or older have died in Monroe County as a result of the flu.

According to the Department of Health, as of Jan. 13, there were 1,323 confirmed cases of the flu. Of those, 378 cases resulted in people being hospitalized.
        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Three more flu deaths in Monroe County as cases show first decline

After six straight weeks of steady increases, the week ending Jan. 20 marked the first week that Monroe County saw a drop in the number of confirmed cases of flu.

However, three more people died from flu-related illness between Jan. 13 and Jan. 20, according to data released by the Monroe County Department of Public Health. The total is eight for the season, which began Oct. 1.

In the previous week, one death occurred in each of the 50-to-64, 75-to-84 and 85-and-older age groups. Each group already had at least one death.

Number of confirmed cases drops for first time this season but as deaths older age group

Comment

8-year-old Queens girl dies just one day after flu diagnosis

BY
            ROCCO PARASCANDOLA
            NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
            Updated: Monday, February 5, 2018, 1:47 PM
            An 8-year-old Queens girl died Monday morning, a day after she was diagnosed with the flu, police sources said.

It was not immediately clear if Emily Baez died from symptoms related to the flu or from some other illness.
            An 8-year-old Queens girl died Monday morning, a day after she was diagnosed with the flu, police sources said. It was not immediately clear if Emily Baez died from symptoms related to the flu or f…

Comment

2 pediatric flu-related deaths in New York City confirmed by health officials
              POSTED 5:31 PM, FEBRUARY 5, 2018, BY ALIZA CHASAN, UPDATED AT 05:43PM, FEBRUARY 5, 2018

NEW YORK ? Two children suffered flu-related deaths within the last few days, Health Department officials said Monday.

One of the victims was an 8-year-old girl. Another pediatric patient also suffered a flu-related death, but health officials have not released any information.
              NEW YORK — Two children suffered flu-related deaths within the last few days, Health Department officials said Monday. One of the victims was an 8-year-old girl, identified as Amely Baez from Queen…

Comment

New flu cases nearly double in 1 week in Monroe County

Rochester, N.Y. (WHAM) - The number of new flu cases in Monroe County has nearly doubled in the last week, according to new data from the Monroe County Department of Health.

The data compiled as of January 27 shows 2,326 cases of flu have been confirmed in Monroe County. Of those cases, 570 people have been hospitalized.

Another person has died from the flu, bringing the total number of deaths related to the flu to nine. All of the deaths are of people ages 50 and older.

Rochester, N.Y. (WHAM) - The number of new flu cases in Monroe County has nearly doubled in the last week, according to new data from the Monroe County Department of Health.The data compiled as of January 27 shows 2,326 cases of flu have been confirmed in

Comment

2 flu deaths reported in Oswego County; more than 500 cases so far this year
                  by CNYCentralTuesday, February 6th 2018

OSWEGO COUNTY, N.Y. ? Oswego County officials say two county residents have died from complications from the flu this year.

The county says regional hospitals reported the deaths happened in individuals who had been vaccinated and had other health complications. A third person, who had not been vaccinated, is currently in critical condition.
                  Oswego County officials say two county residents have died from complications from the flu this year.The county says regional hospitals reported the deaths happened in individuals who had been vaccinated and had other health complications. A third person,

Comment

NYC confirms 3rd child flu death

By Eyewitness News
                    Updated 13 mins ago
                    NEW YORK (WABC) -- Officials confirmed the third pediatric flu death in New York City of this 2017-18 flu season Friday.

Details about the child, the death, or when it happened have not been released.
                    Nationwide, the flu has further tightened its grip on the U.S. This season is now as bad as the swine flu epidemic nine years ago.

Comment

Death of girl being investigated as possible 4th flu-related pediatric death in NYC this season
                      POSTED 5:34 PM, FEBRUARY 11, 2018, BY ALLISON KADEN, UPDATED AT 05:28AM, FEBRUARY 12, 2018

Severe flu season continues

BROOKLYN ? A 5-year-old girl from Brooklyn with flu-like symptoms died Saturday night, according to police sources.

Three children have already suffered flu-related deaths in New York City this season.

An ambulance was called to the Bayview Houses at 8 p.m. Saturday for a child with flu-like symptoms and difficulty breathing. The unconscious child was taken to the hospital, where she died.
                      BROOKLYN — A 5-year-old girl from Brooklyn with flu-like symptoms died Saturday night, according to police sources. Three children have already suffered flu-related deaths in New York City this sea…

Comment

5-year-old Brooklyn girl died from flu, NYC Health Department confirms

Candace McCowan, Eyewitness News
                        Updated 7 mins ago
                        CANARSIE, Brooklyn (WABC) -- The New York City Health Department has confirmed the fourth pediatric flu death this season.

The 5-year-old girl was at her Canarsie home Saturday when EMS was called because she was having trouble breathing.

Responders found the girl unresponsive in the bathroom. She had flu like symptoms, and the health department confirmed Monday that her death was caused by the flu.

Comment

Two more die of flu in Monroe County, bringing death total to 11
                          Patti Singer, @PattiSingerRoc Published 10:50 a.m. ET Feb. 20, 2018 | Updated 11:03 a.m. ET Feb. 20, 2018

Two more older adults in Monroe County have died from influenza, bringing the total deaths for the season to 11 through Feb. 10, according to data released Tuesday by the Department of Public Health.

One individual was in the 75-to-84 age range and the other was 85 or older.

Comment

2 more die of flu in Monroe County as overall cases decline
                            Patti Singer, @PattiSingerRoc Published 6:10 p.m. ET March 12, 2018 | Updated 6:11 p.m. ET March 12, 2018

Flu-related deaths were up in Monroe County for the week ending March 3, while overall the number of cases continued to decline.

For the first time in three weeks, the county recorded deaths from flu. Both individuals were 75 or older, according to preliminary data from the Monroe County Department of Public Health.

The total number of people who have died from flu-related illness this season is 13, the same as last flu season. This season, 10 of the deaths have been people 75 and older and three have been people aged 50 to 64.
                            Overall, confirmed cases declined for the second straight week, but this year's total is close to that of the past two flu seasons combined.

Comment

Flu won't quit: Another death, more cases reported in Monroe County
                              Patti Singer, @PattiSingerRoc Published 2:32 p.m. ET March 26, 2018 | Updated 6:01 p.m. ET March 26, 2018

After two weeks with no new flu-related deaths and three weeks with declines in the number of laboratory-confirmed cases, both went up in Monroe County for the week ending March 17.

A person in the 75 to 84 age group died, bringing the season total of deaths to 14. That's one more than last season and double the deaths for the 2015-16 season.
                              Person between ages of 75 and 84 died, and people between 18 and 49 were hit with highest number of new cases for week ending March 17.

Comment

Working...
                              X