Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1N1 deaths in Ontario County from same family

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ronan Kelly
    replied
    H1N1 deaths in Ontario County from same family

    H1N1 deaths in Ontario County from same family
    Chris Swingle ? Staff writer
    Local News ? November 12, 2009 - 2:56pm
    The two deaths linked to H1N1 flu in Ontario County involved two people from the same family and both had multiple medical problems that put them at increased risk for complications from the virus, county Public Health Director Mary Beer announced today in a written statement.
    Incorrect information was mistakenly announced by her office earlier this week before it was verified, said Beer. She issued the update to set the record straight but said no additional information would be released, at the family?s request.

    ?As stated previously, every death is a tragedy and our sincere condolences are extended to the family,? said Beer.
    http://rocnow.com/article/local-news/200991112016

    Leave a comment:


  • Commonground
    replied
    Re: 2 Ontario County deaths linked to H1N1-Update: Related

    this pretty much covers the whole gammit of opinions. I say: Kuddos to the media, keep up your good work. I was thinking of my years of covering H5N1. And how Human-to-Human (H2H) contact was something we looked for. Not in this pandemic. It would be impossible. We also had 2 deaths Penobscot, Maine. One (18-25 yrs old) the other (50's yo). Could be a relation. We'll never know.

    However, people who spoke with 13WHAM News about deaths say they are trying to keep it all in perspective

    ?It surprised me,? said Brian Lannon of Port Gibson. ?I didn't know we had it in the area.?

    ?The more people talk about it, the more it?s on your mind,? said Julie Maslyn. ?When you have small children, you want to protect your children. My primary concern is for my children, not for me.?

    ?I'm not afraid of it, if you wash your hands and try to stay away from people who are sick,? said Kathy Murphy of Farmington. ?It?s unfortunate they did die, but we don't know the story that well.?

    ?Too much media!? said Dolly Acquilano of Farmington. ?Nothing against you guys, but you're making everybody panic.?

    Leave a comment:


  • Rwilmer
    replied
    Re: 2 Ontario County deaths linked to H1N1

    Ontario County Swine Flu Victims Were Related; Had Pre-Existing Conditions

    <TABLE><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
    Last Update: 12:47 pm



    Washington/Canandaigua, N.Y. – The Ontario County Health Department says that the two adults who died from swine flu there were related.

    Public Health Director Mary Beer also now says that the two adults did have pre-existing medical conditions. A previous statement by the health department said there were no known underlying medical conditions.

    Officials did not release the ages of the victims or how they were related.

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the swine flu has killed more Americans than previously thought.

    According to the CDC 4,000 Americans have already died from the virus, four times previous estimate, which also includes deaths caused by complications from H1N1.

    More than 40,000 people have been hospitalized, and the CDC says millions have contracted the H1N1 since it appeared in April.

    However, people who spoke with 13WHAM News about deaths say they are trying to keep it all in perspective

    “It surprised me,” said Brian Lannon of Port Gibson. “I didn't know we had it in the area.”

    “The more people talk about it, the more it’s on your mind,” said Julie Maslyn. “When you have small children, you want to protect your children. My primary concern is for my children, not for me.”

    “I'm not afraid of it, if you wash your hands and try to stay away from people who are sick,” said Kathy Murphy of Farmington. “It’s unfortunate they did die, but we don't know the story that well.”

    “Too much media!” said Dolly Acquilano of Farmington. “Nothing against you guys, but you're making everybody panic.”

    The outbreak of the swine flu is putting a strain on local health care providers.

    Many pediatric offices are so busy seeing patients with the flu that they've had to cancel regular checkups. Some doctors are working Sundays, and extra staff is helping manage the flood of phone calls to some practices.

    In Wayne County, school aged children are getting shots Thursday at Lyons High School.

    The Wayne County Health Department will remain at the high school offering vaccinations for at-risk people from 3 to 7 p.m.

    When more vaccine arrives they plan to take the same model to other towns.

    http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Ontario-County-Swine-Flu-Victims-Were-Related-Had/s_NGyqXtG0GfdqCsoNU6tg.cspx







    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

    Leave a comment:


  • Pathfinder
    replied
    Re: 2 Ontario County deaths linked to H1N1

    Ontario County Medical Society Weighs in on H1N1 Deaths
    Carlet Cleare (2009-11-11)

    <!-- PHOTO --><SCRIPT src="/js/lightbox2.04.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><LINK media=screen href="/styles/lightbox2.04.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><LINK media=screen href="/styles/newsroom/article-image.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>
    <SCRIPT>function matchWidth(a,b) { var c = $(a).getWidth(); if(c != null && c != '') { $(b).setStyle({'width': c}) }}Event.observe(window, 'load', function() { matchWidth('photo-photo','photo-container');});</SCRIPT>

    CANANDAIGUA, NY (WXXI) - The deaths of two healthy adults in Ontario County Tuesday are related to the H1N1 flu.

    The president of the Ontario County Medical Society, Mark Ryan, says this has raised some unease.

    "The report was that they were people that did not have any underlying health problem," Ryan says. "And every year a certain number of deaths are reported from the seasonal flu, but this particular strain is concerning because there have been reports in younger healthier people than we've been used to."

    Ryan says it's hard to draw a conclusion about the pandemic in Western New York. He says all they can do is follow the guidelines of the Center for Disease Control and the state Health Department on how to move forward.

    Ryan says at this point, if someone has flu-like symptoms, they're presuming its H1N1.

    Ryan says flu season seems to have started earlier than past years. He says doctors are seeing a lot of respiratory illness in adults and children.

    Ryan says he doesn't think the deaths will change policies and guidelines, but it may increase the number of calls from residents. Ryan says it confirms that the H1N1 virus is in the area.

    Monroe County Health Director Doctor Andrew Doniger says there are no confirmed H1N1 deaths in Monroe County.

    Like many other counties, Ontario is seeing increased absenteeism in schools, and doctor offices are seeing high volumes of patients.


    http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wx...on.H1N1.Deaths

    Leave a comment:


  • Rwilmer
    replied
    Re: 2 Ontario County deaths linked to H1N1

    This is very near my area. I heard about these two last night on the news.

    Leave a comment:


  • Commonground
    started a topic H1N1 deaths in Ontario County from same family

    H1N1 deaths in Ontario County from same family

    Local News ? November 11, 2009 - 3:00am

    The Ontario County Public Heath Department said Tuesday that laboratory testing has linked the deaths of two area adults to H1N1 flu.


    Meanwhile, it was announced Tuesday that in Monroe County, a total of 20,000 doses for mass inoculations will be divided among five sites each on Nov. 19 and 21.
    The adults who died in Ontario County had no known underlying medical conditions, the health department said.
    Further details about the victims were not released. By law, the department cannot release such identifying information.
    ?Every death is a tragedy, and our sincere condolences are extended to all family members at this difficult time,? Mary Beer, director of the health department, said.
    Last week, Genesee County health officials confirmed a child had died from the illness. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control reports that at least 129 children nationwide have died as a result of H1N1 since April. There have been no confirmed H1N1 flu deaths in Monroe County, said Department of Health Director Dr. Andrew Doniger.
    According to the state health department, through Oct. 31, there have been 38 H1N1-associated deaths reported in New York state (outside of New York City) since April 24.
    ?Most people with the flu continue to have mild to moderate symptoms and recover at home without medical treatment,? Beer said. ?Sadly, as with ordinary seasonal flu, the H1N1 flu can, and occasionally does, cause serious illness and death.?
    Medical facilities across the region, including Thompson Health in Canandaigua, have implemented restrictions on visitors in response to outbreaks of H1N1.
    In late October, Thompson said visitors 18 and younger would be prohibited from F.F. Thompson Hospital, M.M. Ewing Continuing Care Center and Clark Meadows. The restrictions also apply to adults who have a fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
    Flu clinics
    Earlier Tuesday, Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks and Doniger made the announcement about the flu clinics.
    The clinics will be for people in the highest-risk groups: pregnant women, children ages 6 months to 24 years, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months, adults from 25 to 64 who have a chronic condition, and health care and emergency medical personnel.
    The clinics are free and do not require medical insurance. The $15 cost of each shot is covered by the county, which will be reimbursed by the state, according to Doniger.
    Doniger said his office debated whether to hold clinics with a very limited amount of vaccine, or wait until more people in the risk group could be accommodated.
    ?We didn?t want to have one clinic for one evening. That would be a busy clinic,? he said. Having people stand in line for a long time, only to be turned away, might only add to frustration.
    Doniger said the county is planning clinics in December or January for people at lower risk, such as healthy adults or people older than 65. He said that the county expects 20,000 to 30,000 doses to arrive weekly, but didn?t want to schedule clinics and then have to cancel.
    The 20,000 doses to be given next week will barely make a dent in the high-risk group. Doniger said 400,000 people in Monroe County fall into the top-priority group.
    Doniger said he hoped that only residents in the highest priority group will come to the clinics. Those attending will not be asked for proof of residency or whether they have a chronic condition.
    Doniger said that H1N1 cases have been rising over the past two weeks, but the wave might be cresting. He added that another upswing in the illness in January or February could occur, and that seasonal flu has yet to make its appearance.
    Tuesday evening, Doniger said people should follow previously issued advice such as frequent hand-washing and covering coughs.


    http://rocnow.com/article/local-news/2009911110359
Working...
X