X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Queens tot suspected to be second swine flu death in New York City

Child died in Queens did not have influenza H1N1
    05/20/09

The analysis carried out in an infant who died after being hospitalized in New York with respiratory problems are not suffering from swine flu, health officials said the city.

A Health Department statement said the analysis made on samples taken from nasal* boy 16 months, Jonathan Zamora Castillo.

SNIP

____

* Nasal Swab Test (a/k/a RAPID H1N1 INFLUENZA TEST)

excerpt from:
    CDC GUIDLINES AS TO RELIABILITY OF RAPID H1N1 INFLUENZA TEST

Reliability and Interpretation of Rapid Influenza Test Results

The reliability of rapid influenza diagnostic tests depends largely on the conditions under which they are used, and are entirely based on the experience with seasonal influenza.

For detection of seasonal influenza virus infection, sensitivities of rapid diagnostic tests are approximately 50-70% when compared with viral culture or RT-PCR, and specificities of rapid diagnostic tests for influenza are approximately 90-95%. Sensitivity and specificity of these tests for detection of the novel H1N1 flu virus are unknown.

False-positive (and true-negative) results are more likely to occur when influenza is uncommon in the community, which is generally at the beginning and end of an outbreak.

False-negative (and true-positive) results are more likely to occur when influenza is common in the community, which is typically at the height of an outbreak.

Test sensitivity may vary depending on when in the course of illness the specimen is collected. Respiratory specimens for testing should be collected in the first 4-5 days of illness when viral shedding is greatest. Given these limitations, the decision of whether or not to test patients with rapid influenza diagnostic tests should be based upon the patient’s presenting symptoms, whether or not cases of novel H1N1 have been confirmed in the area, and/or the patient’s risk for severe disease or other complications.

Comment

A negative result on the rapid test is somewhat meaningless, I estimate H1N1 false negative rate is 30% - 60%, they need to do a cell culture or run rt-rtPCR . . .

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderSJones View Post
        A negative result on the rapid test is somewhat meaningless, I estimate H1N1 false negative rate is 30% - 60%, they need to do a cell culture or run rt-rtPCR . . .

ASJ - your estimate was very accurate - the CDC themselves are not sure that the accuracy for novel AH1N1 - is even as good as the season Influenza - therefore - one can postulate that the CDC see it as > 70% potentially inaccurate !!

Comment

Has anyone seen any "offical" follow-up information on this case?

Comment

Originally posted by Extrapolation View Post
            Has anyone seen any "offical" follow-up information on this case?
            I SECOND THIS REQUEST... THIS ONE SHOULD BE FOLLOWED! I they got the results do you think they would be obligated to divulge? Would they just rest on the initial media announcement?

Comment

Yes, its been a week, a sample from a fatality should have been given priority. There is no way they do not know, they are sitting on the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirante View Post
                Yes, its been a week, a sample from a fatality should have been given priority. There is no way they do not know, they are sitting on the results.
                I wonder if there is anyone (i.e. press, etc.) that could look into or request the information? In case they are just sitting on it. Rapid deterioration with cyanosis is pretty distinct from a majority of illnesses babies get.

Comment

May 31 and I have not seen additional information. Has anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by senegal1 View Post
                    May 31 and I have not seen additional information. Has anyone else?
                    No, the information is being suppressed.

What I dont get is why they even bother doing it, we know their suppressing the information, we're not that stupid. They cant possibly believe flublogia isnt following all of this stuff closely. Who do they think their fooling?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirante View Post
                      What I dont get is why they even bother doing it, we know their suppressing the information, we're not that stupid. They cant possibly believe flublogia isnt following all of this stuff closely. Who do they think their fooling?
                      They are more concerned with the masses. Until Flutrackers finds a way to get mainstream - we basically have very limited power, except to those that know to follow the information here.

Comment

I believe that this Queens baby was found not to have swine flu but maybe I'm wrong. The stats are all a ridiculous spoof anyway. No way there is any kind of accuracy.
                        We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.
                        Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by pamwv41 View Post
                          I believe that this Queens baby was found not to have swine flu but maybe I'm wrong. The stats are all a ridiculous spoof anyway. No way there is any kind of accuracy.
                          The child supposedly did not test for Swine Flu - but that was for a Rapid Response test, which is documented even by the CDC to have very high error probability. The New York Health officials quoted in the early days that the sample would be further tested by the CDC to determine if the sample was "Swine Flu" or not. That was over 2 weeks ago, and since then there has been complete and utter silence regarding the matter from any official agency. It seems that for some reason this particular test does not operate on the same principles and timelines as other mortal human samples.

Comment

Yes, the case remains a mystery.

I imagine their could be a law enforcement angle here but even if there was, the coroner at some point will file a court document providing the cause of death. This should be forthcoming.

GW
                            The Doctor

Comment

Dr. Woodson said:

Yes, the case remains a mystery.

I imagine their could be a law enforcement angle here but even if there was, the coroner at some point will file a court document providing the cause of death. This should be forthcoming.

GW
                              As a former LEO, I give a big YES! to the doctor's suggestion...

Comment

Are their any attorneys who frequent this site? Powerful software such as Lexis Nexis could point us in the right direction... there should at least be a COD listed. Although, it might not be very helpful (heart failure, etc. instead of underlying cause)

I feel this is very important that it is followed up on. IMO if tissue results showed that the tests were negative, we would have heard about this. IMO information supression to avoid panic IS what is going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X