• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Nevada Weekly Influenza
    Surveillance Snapshot
    CDC Week 15, April 8, 2018 to April 14, 2018
    Summary:
    Influenza surveillance for Clark County, Nevada includes data collected from 16 local hospital emergency
    rooms and 71 healthcare providers. During week 15, the influenza activity decreased in the United States
    and remained at the minimal level in the state of Nevada. In Clark County, as of 4/14/2018, the total
    number of confirmed cases of influenza during the season was 1291 with 50% being age 65 and older, and
    the proportion of emergency room (ER) visits for Influenza-like Illness (ILI) decreased from 2.7% in week 14
    to 2.4% in week 15. Approximately 45% of area ER visits for ILI were children under 18 years of age.
    Influenza B was the dominant type circulating in Week 15. Forty-eight influenza-associated deaths,
    including 3 deaths of children under age 18, occurred this season in Clark County.
    Southern Nevada Health
    District will continue to update the public on the progression of the season and encourage influenza
    vaccination for all persons 6 months of age and older.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Southern Nevada flu death toll hits 57; some were vaccinated

Jessie Bekker
      By Jessie Bekker / Las Vegas Review-Journal
      May 4, 2018 - 6:25 pm

Updated May 4, 2018 - 7:55 pm
      Nearly one-quarter of the 57 Southern Nevadans who died of the flu during the current season were vaccinated, the Southern Nevada Health District said Friday as it raised the local death toll by nine from just two weeks ago.

The majority of victims were older than 65, a group especially at risk of developing such flu-related complications as pneumonia, according to the health district. Still, six were under 50, including a 12-year-old boy, a 24-year-old woman and a 37-year old man, all from Las Vegas.
      Nearly one-quarter of the Southern Nevadans who died of the flu during the current season were vaccinated, the Southern Nevada Health District said Friday.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
      X