Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevada Influenza 2017-18, 80 fatalities

Southern Nevada Reports 1st Flu-Related Death This Season
    Southern Nevada health officials say a young child has died from the flu.

Nov. 21, 2017, at 2:35 a.m.

Southern Nevada Reports 1st Flu-Related Death This Season

LAS VEGAS (AP) ? Southern Nevada health officials say a young child has died from the flu.

The Southern Nevada Health District did not release many details Monday but said the child was 4-years old or younger and lived in Clark County.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Washoe County health officials confirm 5 died from the flu
    Marcella Corona, mcorona@rgj.com Published 1:44 p.m. PT Jan. 5, 2018 | Updated 4:39 p.m. PT Jan. 5, 2018

Nevada beat New Mexico, 77-74, to win its 12th straight home game despite nearly the entire team dealing with a sickness.Chris Murray/RGJ

Washoe County health officials say five people died from the flu, and the season hasn?t even reached its peak, yet.

According to the Washoe County Health District, more than 1,075 lab-confirmed influenza cases were reported over the past two weeks. Of that total, about 11 percent of those sick from the flu ended up in a hospital.

All of the patients who died from the virus suffered at least one high-risk or underlying medical condition. Four were older than 65, and one patient was between 50 and 60 years old.
    Health officials said the peak of the flu season is still four to six weeks away. They’re urging residents to stay vigilant and get vaccinated.

Southern Nevada Weekly Influenza Surveillance Snapshot
    CDC Week 52, December 24 ? December 30, 2017

Summary: Influenza surveillance for Clark County, Nevada includes data collected from local hospital emergency rooms, healthcare
    providers and laboratories. During week 52, the influenza activity increased sharply in the United States and Nevada was one of
    twenty-six states experienced high influenza-like illness (ILI) activity. In Clark County, as of 12/30/2017, the total number of confirmed
    cases of influenza during the season was 406 and the percentage of emergency room (ER) visits for Influenza-like Illness (ILI) increased
    from 4.7% in week 51 to 5.9% in week 52. Approximately 54% of area ER visits for ILI were children under 18 years of age. Influenza
    A was the dominant type circulating. Eight influenza-associated deaths occurred this season in Clark County. Southern Nevada Health
    District will continue to update the public on the progression of the season and encourage the population to get vaccinated.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Cold and flu season leads to 2 more deaths, low blood donations
      Marcella Corona, mcorona@rgj.com Published 5:10 p.m. PT Jan. 11, 2018 | Updated 5:12 p.m. PT Jan. 11, 2018

How to help prevent the spread of flu at your home. David D'Aquin

This year?s cold and flu season is worse than usual, resulting in more deaths and affecting regional blood donations.

Washoe County health officials confirmed two more people died from the flu in the past week. In total, seven have died this flu season?from Oct. 1 until now.

Comment

CDC Week 1, December 31, 2017 ? January 6, 2018

Summary: Influenza surveillance for Clark County, Nevada includes data collected from 16 local hospital emergency rooms and 58
        healthcare providers. During week 1, the influenza activity increased sharply in the United States and Nevada was one of twenty-six
        states experienced high influenza-like illness (ILI) activity. In Clark County, as of 1/6/2018, the total number of confirmed cases of
        influenza during the season was 585 and the percentage of emergency room (ER) visits for Influenza-like Illness (ILI) increased from
        5.9% in week 52 to 6.8% in week 1. Approximately 52% of area ER visits for ILI were children under 18 years of age. Influenza A was
        the dominant type circulating. Ten influenza-associated deaths occurred this season in Clark County. Southern Nevada Health District
        will continue to update the public on the progression of the season and encourage the population to get vaccinated

Comment

Southern Nevada Health District reports 2 new flu deaths
          By: Caroline Bleakley
          Posted: Jan 26, 2018 02:59 PM PST

Updated: Jan 26, 2018 08:00 PM PST

LAS VEGAS - Two more deaths due to flu have been reported in Clark County, according to the Southern Nevada Health District.

One person was between the ages of 5 to 17 years old and the other person was 65 or older. Both died the week of Jan. 14.

Since the district began compiling statistics on Oct. 1, 2017, 16 people have died, half of them have been 65 or older.
          Two more deaths due to flu have been reported in Clark County, according to the Southern Nevada Health District.

Comment

15 deaths in Washoe County attributed to flu
            Washoe Flu Deaths

By Terri Russell | Posted: Mon 4:35 PM, Jan 29, 2018 | Updated: Mon 10:10 PM, Jan 29, 2018

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) It's been a bad flu season--both nationwide and in Washoe County. Surveillance numbers show 15 people have died so far from the disease in Washoe County alone.

"All of the individuals who have passed away from the flu were at risk, or a higher risk, I should say, of severe flu or flu-related complications. Either because of their age or some underlying medical conditions. 14 of those 15 individuals have been age 65 or older," says Kerry Chalkley with the Washoe County Health District.

A total of 3570 people have tested positive to the disease in Washoe County.
            If you don't think influenza is serious business, take a look at what is happening here in Washoe County. And the outbreak may not be over.

Comment

Total flu deaths rises to 18 in Clark County
              Posted: Feb 03, 2018 12:51 AM EST
              Updated: Feb 03, 2018 12:51 AM EST
              Written by Brenda YahmCONNECT

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
              Two more people died from the flu in Clark County, the Southern Nevada Health District confirmed Friday.

The deaths brought the total number of deaths to 18 for the current flu season.

The health district said the two people who died were over the age of 65.

Comment

CDC Week 5, Jan 28, 2018 to Feb 03, 2018
                Summary:
                Influenza surveillance for Clark County, Nevada includes data collected from 14 local hospital emergency
                rooms and 65 healthcare providers. During week 5, the influenza activity increased in the United States and
                Nevada was one of 43 states experienced high influenza-like illness (ILI) activity. In Clark County, as of
                2/3/2018, the total number of confirmed cases of influenza during the season was 959, the proportion of
                emergency room (ER) visits for Influenza-like Illness (ILI) increased from 5.1% in week 4 to 5.8% in week 5.
                Approximately 55% of area ER visits for ILI were children under 18 years of age. Influenza A was the
                dominant type circulating. However, the proportion of influenza B has been increasing. Twenty-Two
                influenza-associated deaths including 3 deaths of children under age 18 occurred this season in Clark
                County.
                Southern Nevada Health District will continue to update the public on the progression of the
                season and encourage influenza vaccination for all persons 6 months of age and older.

15 fatalities have been reported from Washoe county.
                37 fatalities reported across those two counties alone.

Comment

Flu claims another with death of Las Vegas woman, 24

By Jessie Bekker Las Vegas Review-Journal
                  February 9, 2018 - 6:27 pm

Updated February 9, 2018 - 10:20 pm
                  Jenna Libidinsky went to the doctor Jan. 25 and four more times over the next eight days.

Doctors and nurses prescribed antibiotics, an inhaler, steroids and cough syrup.

But the 24-year-old Las Vegas woman just wasn?t getting any better.
                  Even before Jenna Libidinsky?s death, confirmed flu deaths in Clark County this season stood at 22, more than triple last winter?s number.
                  https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...egas-woman-24/

Comment

Dangerous Flu Season Continues Across Nevada, Nation
                    Posted: Feb 12, 2018 8:52 PM EST
                    Updated: Feb 13, 2018 10:42 AM EST
                    By Paul Nelson

This flu season is shaping up to be one of the worst on record, both in flu cases and deaths. Last week, pneumonia and influenza accounted for more than 10% of deaths in the United States.

"This was about the worst I could see in terms of influenza activity looking this widespread all at once," Dr. Randall Todd, Director of Epidemiology & Public Health Preparedness at the Washoe County Health District said.

151,983 people have had the flu in the U.S. during this flu season, and the flu has killed 10,948. There have been 4,066 confirmed cases in Washoe County, killing 19 residents. Flu season runs from the 40th week of the year to the 20th week of the next year, basically from October to May. The Washoe County flu deaths may not seem like a large number, but it is compared to previous years. "So that's 19 through week five," Todd said. "Last year, for the entire year going from week 40 through week 20, we had only eight."

Comment

Two more flu deaths in Clark County push death toll to 24

By Jessie Bekker Las Vegas Review-Journal
                      February 16, 2018 - 5:22 pm

At least two more people have died from the flu in Clark County in the past week as the number of confirmed cases continues to rise, data released Friday at the Southern Nevada Health District show.

The death toll as of Feb. 10 is now 24, the data show, almost triple last year?s total at that time. This year, nine people outside the age groups considered most at risk ? under 5 and over 65 ? have succumbed to the disease.
                      The total death toll from flu cases as of Feb. 10 is almost triple last year’s total at that time, the Southern Nevada Health District reports.

Comment

21 flu-related deaths now reported in Washoe County
                        by News 4-Fox 11 Digital StaffFriday, February 23rd 2018

RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) ? Twenty-one flu-related deaths have been reported in Washoe County so far this influenza season, according to data from the Health District.

Data collected from Oct. 1 through Saturday, Feb. 17 shows a total of 4,562 lab-confirmed cases of flu in the county. None of the deaths reported have involved those under 18, one health official confirmed to News 4-Fox 11.
                        Twenty-one flu-related deaths have been reported in Washoe County so far this influenza season, according to data from the Health District.Data collected from Oct. 1 through Saturday, Feb. 17 shows a total of 4,562 lab-confirmed cases of flu in the county.

Comment

Southern Nevada Weekly Influenza
                          Surveillance Snapshot
                          CDC Week 8, Feb 18, 2018 to Feb 24, 2018
                          Summary:
                          Influenza surveillance for Clark County, Nevada includes data collected from 15 local hospital emergency
                          rooms and 67 healthcare providers. During week 8, the influenza activity decreased in the United States
                          and the state of Nevada. In Clark County, as of 2/24/2018, the total number of confirmed cases of influenza
                          during the season was 1084, the proportion of emergency room (ER) visits for Influenza-like Illness (ILI)
                          decreased from 5.2% in week 7 to 4.6% in week 8. Approximately 53% of area ER visits for ILI were
                          children under 18 years of age. Influenza B was the dominant type circulating in Week 8. Twenty-five
                          influenza-associated deaths including 3 deaths of children under age 18 occurred this season in Clark
                          County.
                          Southern Nevada Health District will continue to update the public on the progression of the
                          season and encourage influenza vaccination for all persons 6 months of age and older

Comment

Flu Death Toll Continues to Rise in Washoe County
                            Posted on March 8, 2018
                            The Washoe Health District is now reporting 23 deaths attributed to the flu during the winter flu season, with 4,937 cases of influenza reported as of March 7th.
                            The Washoe Health District is now reporting 23 deaths attributed to the flu during the winter flu season, with 4,937 cases of influenza reported as of March 7th. Kerry Chalkley with the Washoe County Health District says all of the individuals who have passed away from the flu were at higher risk, o

Comment

Southern Nevada Weekly Influenza
                              Surveillance Snapshot
                              CDC Week 9, Feb 25, 2018 to Mar 3, 2018
                              Summary:
                              Influenza surveillance for Clark County, Nevada includes data collected from 14 local hospital emergency
                              rooms and 68 healthcare providers. During week 9, the influenza activity decreased in the United States
                              and the state of Nevada. In Clark County, as of 3/3/2018, the total number of confirmed cases of influenza
                              during the season was 1137 with 51% being age 65 and older, and the proportion of emergency room (ER)
                              visits for Influenza-like Illness (ILI) decreased from 4.6% in week 8 to 4.1% in week 9. Approximately 50%
                              of area ER visits for ILI were children under 18 years of age. Influenza B was the dominant type circulating
                              in Week 9. Twenty-six influenza-associated deaths including 3 deaths of children under age 18 occurred
                              this season in Clark County.
                              Southern Nevada Health District will continue to update the public on the
                              progression of the season and encourage influenza vaccination for all persons 6 months of age and older.

Comment

Working...
                              X