• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Flu Season Wks 45-02

Wk 02, ending Jan 11

Seven death certificates were received for week 1 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 1 was 38. This reflects a P&I ratio of 18.4% which is above the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 1 at 7.1%.
    The national P&I for week 1 was below the epidemic threshold at 6.9%.

Eleven of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 186 patients with influenza-like-illness (ILI) for week ending January 11, 2014 (week 2). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the eleven providers was 3.9% (186/4823) which is above the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 1, the
    percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 4.4%.

This percentage is above the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 1.5% to 8.7%.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nevada Wk 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	661284

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Flu Season Wks 45-01

Wk 01, ending Jan 4

Pneumonia & Influenza Mortality
    No P&I data is available for week 52 and no deaths were registered locally for week 52 due to the holidays.

Note: the report below is reporting 5 deaths

The epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 52 was 7.0%. The national P & I for week 52 was below the epidemic threshold at 6.5%.

Eleven of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 206 patients with ILI week 1.

The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the eleven
    providers was 4.1% (206/4974) which is above the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 52, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 4.3. This percentage is above the national baseline of 2.0%.

SNHD Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance (PEWSS) Report

The Southern Nevada Health District is reporting an increase in influenza activity and has received reports of the first flu‐related deaths in Clark County. The deaths were reported in 2 young adults, 1 middle‐aged individual, and 2 elderly persons. All were males.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-52

Week 52, ending Dec 28

Pneumonia & Influenza Mortality:
    Fourteen death certificates were received for week 51 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 51 was 100. This reflects a P&I ratio of 14.0% which is above the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 51 at 6.9%. The national P & I for week 51 was below the epidemic threshold at 6.7%.

Summary:
    Ten of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 159 patients with influenza-like-illness (ILI) for week ending December 28, 2013 (week 52). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the ten providers was 3.6% (159/4427) which is above the regional baseline of 2.9%.During week 51, thepercentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 3.0%. This percentage is above the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.9% to 7.1%.

Sentinel Provider Testing Results:
    specimens tested to date: 11 = 3 negatives, 1 pending and all others were Flu A

SNHD Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance (PEWSS) Report:

During the week ending December 28, 2013, the following viruses were identified through PEWSS with a low volume of testing: Influenza A, Human Metapneumovirus, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV.
    Over the past five weeks, the following were identified in the community through PEWSS:
    Human Metapneumovirus and Parainfluenza 1 have been circulating at low levels.
    Influenza A and RSV have been sporadically identified.
    Influenza B, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza 2 and Parainfluenza 3 have not been identified.

The only influenza virus PEWSS has detected since October 1, 2013 is 2009 H1N1

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-51

Week 51, ending Dec 21

Ten of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 126 patients with ILI for week 51. The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the tenproviders was 3.9% (126/3209) which is above the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 50, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 2.3%. This percentage is above the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.8% to 5.8%.

Name:	Nevada Wk 51.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	661222

Pneumonia & Influenza Mortality: Three death certificates were received for week 50 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 50 was 45. This reflects a P&I ratio of 6.7% which is below the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 50 at 6.9%. The national P & I for week 50 was below the epidemic threshold at 6.6%.

Week 51 Lab Surveillance:
    Cases Reported: 107
    Influenza A: 99
    A 2009 H1N1: 1 (hospitalized)
    Influenza B: 5
    Unknown Type: 2

During the week ending December 21, 2013, the following viruses were identified through PEWSS with a moderate volume of testing: Influenza A, Human Metapneumovirus, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV.

Over the past five weeks, the following were identified through PEWSS:
    Parainfluenza 1 has been circulating at low levels.
    Influenza A, Human Metapneumovirus and RSV have been sporadically identified.
    Influenza B, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza 2 and Parainfluenza 3 have not been identified.

All influenza A detected by PEWSS this flu season has been subtype 2009 H1N1.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-50

Week 50, ending Dec 14

Nine of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 122 patients with ILI for week 50. The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the nine providers was 4.4% (122/2769) which is above the regional baseline of 2.9%.

During week 49, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 2.1%. This percentage is above the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.8% to 5.2%.

Ten death certificates were received for week 49 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 49 was 36. This reflects a P&I ratio of 27.8% which is above the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 49 at 6.8%. The national P & I for week 49 was below the epidemic threshold at 6.2%.

Name:	Nevada Wk 50.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	661189

Influenza Positive Tests
    50+ positives, all were flu A

During the week ending December 14, 2013, the following viruses were identified through PEWSS with a moderate volume of testing: Influenza A, Human Metapneumovirus and Parainfluenza 1.

Over the past five weeks, the following were identified in the community through PEWSS:
    Influenza A, Human Metapneumovirus and RSV have been sporadically identified.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-49

Week 49, ending Dec 7

Eleven of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 89 patients with influenza-like-illness (ILI) for week ending December 7, 2013 (week 49). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the eleven providers was 2.8% (89/3222) which is below the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 48, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 1.9%. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.9% to 4.4%.

Five death certificates were received for week 48 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 48 was 78. This reflects a P&I ratio of 6.4% which is below the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 48 at 6.7%. The national P & I for week 48 was below the epidemic threshold at 5.8%.

Washoe County Test Results:
    Washoe County Total: 63
    Influenza type A: 51
    * 2009 H1N1: 17, 2 were hospitalized (one was in the current week)
    * H3: 1, 1 was hospitalized
    Influenza type B: 5
    Influenza unk type: 7

SNHD Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance (PEWSS) Report: December 11, 2013

During the week ending December 07, 2013, the following viruses were identified through PEWSS with a low volume of testing: Human Metapneumovirus and Parainfluenza 1.

Influenza A, Adenovirus, Human Metapneumovirus and RSV have been sporadically identified.
    Influenza B, Parainfluenza 2 and Parainfluenza 3 have not been identified.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-48

Week 48, ending Nov 30

Summary:
    Eleven of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 59 patients with influenza-like-illness (ILI) for week ending November 30, 2013 (week 48). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the eleven providers was 2.1% (59/2803) which is below the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 47, the
    percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 1.7%. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.7% to 3.8%.

Eleven death certificates were received for week 47 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 47 was 119. This reflects a P&I ratio of 9.2% which is above the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 47 at 6.6%.
    The national P & I for week 47 was below the epidemic threshold at 5.8%.

SNHD Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance (PEWSS) Report: December 04, 2013

During the week ending November 30, 2013, the following virus was identified through PEWSS with a low volume of
    testing (Fig. 1): Parainfluenza 1.
    Over the past five weeks (Tables 1 & 2), the following were identified in the community through PEWSS:
    Influenza A, Adenovirus, Human Metapneumovirus and RSV have been sporadically identified.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-47

Week 47, ending Nov 23

Washoe County Health District

Summary: Ten of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 86 patients with ILI for week ending November 23, 2013 (week 47). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the ten providers was 3.3% (86/2644) which is above the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 46, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 1.5%. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.5% to 3.5%.

Pneumonia & Influenza Mortality: Five death certificates were received for week 46 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 46 was 58. This reflects a P&I ratio of 8.6% which is above the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 46 at 6.5%.
    The national P & I for week 46 was below the epidemic threshold at 5.8%.

SNHD Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance

During the week ending November 23, 2013, the following viruses were identified through PEWSS with a low volume of testing: Influenza A, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV.

Over the past five weeks the following were identified in the community through PEWSS: Influenza A, Adenovirus, Human Metapneumovirus, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV have been sporadically identified.

Influenza A 2009 H1N1 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) were detected this week. Their appearances may indicate the beginning of influenza and RSV seasons in Southern Nevada.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    replied
    Re: Nevada 2013-14 Influenza Season Wks 45-46

Week 46, ending Nov 16

Summary:
    Eleven of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 80 patients with influenza-like-illness (ILI) for week ending November 16, 2013 (week 46). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the eleven providers was 2.4% (80/3283) which is below the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 45, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 1.6%. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.3% to 3.0%.

Six death certificates were received for week 45 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 45 was 128. This reflects a P&I ratio of 4.7% which is below the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 45 at 6.4%. The national P & I for week 45 was below the epidemic threshold at 6.1%.

During the week ending November 16, 2013, the following virus was identified through PEWSS with a low volume of testing (Fig. 1): Parainfluenza 1.Over the past five weeks (Tables 1 & 2), the following were identified in the community through PEWSS:Adenovirus, Human Metapneumovirus, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV have been sporadically identified.Influenza A, Influenza B, Parainfluenza 2 and Parainfluenza 3 have not been identified.

Human parainfluenza virus-1 (HPIV-1) has been detected in six of the last eight weeks. HPIV-1 is most often associated with croup (laryngotracheobronchitis) in children.Influenza has yet to be detected in the 2012-2014 season, although this is not uncommon for November.

Leave a comment:

• mixin
    started a topic Nevada 2013-14 Flu Season Wks 45-28: 2 Total pediatric Deaths

Nevada 2013-14 Flu Season Wks 45-28: 2 Total pediatric Deaths

Week 45, ending Nov 9, 2013

Summary: Eleven of the twelve participating providers reported a total of 76 patients with influenza-like-illness (ILI) for week ending November 9, 2013 (week 45). The percentage of persons seen with ILI by the eleven providers was 2.3% (76/3337) which is below the regional baseline of 2.9%. During week 44, the percentage of patient visits to U.S. sentinel providers due to ILI was 1.4%. This percentage is below the national baseline of 2.0%. On a regional level, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI ranged from 0.4% to 2.6%.

Three death certificates were received for week 44 listing pneumonia (P) or influenza (I) as a factor contributing to the cause of death. The total number of deaths submitted for week 44 was 45. This reflects a P&I ratio of 6.7% which is above the epidemic threshold set by CDC for week 44 at 6.3%.
    The national P & I for week 44 was below the epidemic threshold at 5.3%.

PEWSS Report Archive (2015 - 2010) Program Profile The Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance (PEWSS) is a year-round surveillance system developed by the Southern Nevada Health District to identify the pathogens responsible for respiratory disease circulating in the community. Each week, several sentinel health care providers submit nasal swabs to

SNHD Pediatric Early Warning Sentinel Surveillance (PEWSS) Report: November 13, 2013

During the week ending November 09, 2013, the following viruses were identified through PEWSS with a moderate volume of testing: Adenovirus, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV.

Adenovirus, Human Metapneumovirus, Parainfluenza 1 and RSV have been sporadically identified.
    Influenza A, Influenza B, Parainfluenza 2 and Parainfluenza 3 have not been identified.

Working...
X