• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 victim's family tries to convince others its safe to attend funeral

Source: http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...15036&catid=14

H1N1 victim's family tries to convince others its safe to attend funeral

* Updated:10/24/2009 7:48:30 PM - Posted: 10/24/2009 5:47:02 PM

DOOR, Mich. (WZZM) - A family suffering with the loss of a loved one is battling to preserve her memory.

Cynthia Luke is the first known person in Kent County to die from complications of the H1N1 flu virus. Now, because of the fear in the wake of Luke's death, her family is having problems getting the community and their family to come and pay their respects.

Luke's family says they have barely been allowed to mourn because of all the controversy and rumors surrounding her death.

Friends of the family have been calling, sending their regrets for fear attending would be "dangerous,"

"It hurts that the phones are ringing, people aren't going to go see her, pay their respects," says Frank Balsitis, Cynthia Luke's brother. "How many people aren't going to see her that normally would if it wasn't for these news articles? I just wonder if anyone is going to show up."

While Lake is the first person in Kent County to from the H1N1 flu virus, the 52-year-old mother of five also had diabetes, congestive heart failure and obstructive pulmonary disease. Her brother says she wasn't even diagnosed with H1N1 until being put on a ventilator.

"She was very sick. H1N1 played a part but I think any flu would have played a part," says Balsitis.

Still, immediate family and even more of the community are scared of getting H1N1 from people who visited Cynthia in the hospital, even from Cynthia's body at the funeral.

"I just want people to know that they're not going to get H1N1 from my sister. She wasn't even breathing the same air we were," says Balsitis "She's not a monster."

Frank says rumors emerged that the hospital was taking count of everyone who visited Cynthia without wearing masks. But he says that's all untrue.

WZZM 13 spoke with a forensic pathologist about Cynthia Lake's family and friends' concerns about contracting H1N1 during her funeral.

"I can't imagine a scenario where you would be able to contract the H1N1 virus from a body in a funeral setting. One of the reasons is the body has be prepared for the funeral, which means it's been embalmed and cleaned. And the embalming process will kill just about all the viruses and bacteria that we're aware of," says Dr. David Start M.D.

Dr. Start adds anyone who has flu-like symptoms should use common sense and stay away from group gatherings

A funeral mass for Luke is set for Monday, Oct. 26th at 11 a.m. at St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church located at 1213 52nd St SE in Kentwood. Visitation is Sunday, Oct. 25th at 7 p.m. at Stroo Funeral Home at 1095 68th St. SE in Grand Rapids.
Working...
X