Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Death in Kent County

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ficials_s.html

Kent County health officials say woman in her 50s is area's first swine flu-related death

By Kyla King The Grand Rapids Press
    October 23, 2009, 3:51PM

KENT COUNTY -- County health officials say a woman in her 50s who died this week of multiple underlying health conditions -- including the swine flu virus -- is the area's first reported death related to strain.

The woman's name has not been released.

Kent County Deputy Health Officer Bill Anstey said health department officials learned of the death today.

The woman had been hospitalized for "a handful of days," he said, and she was being treated for underlying conditions. She tested positive for swine flu, also called the H1N1 virus, the day she died, he said.

"People do not need to be alarmed, but we want them to be aware that the virus is out there and take your precautions until the vaccine's available and get vaccinated when you can," Anstey said.

Anstey said all of Kent County's supply of H1N1 vaccine has been given to health care workers and emergency responders. Health department officials expect to receive more vaccine next week, which will be made available to priority groups first.

"We wish it was coming in at a much faster rate," Anstey said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 292 U.S. deaths have been attributed to the H1N1 virus, and more than 2,000 deaths due to a combination of influenza and pneumonia. Since April, there have been 86 confirmed child deaths from swine flu, and 39 have been reported since August.

Cathy Raevsky, Kent County's health department administrative health officer, said officials "extend our deepest sympathies to this woman's family and friends."

Raevsky said flu activity has increased greatly this week.

However, health department officials say people with the flu do not need to see a doctor and should recover without medication unless their symptoms are unusually severe, or they are at increased risk because of other conditions.

"While most cases of flu are mild, this tragedy is a reminder that flu can be a very serious illness and that people with underlying health conditions are at higher risk for severe complications from the flu," Raevsky said.

Health Department officials did not provide specifics on where or when the woman died, or what her underlying health problems were.

People more likely to experience complications are children under 5, adults 65 and older, pregnant women, and those with cancer, blood disorders and other illnesses that weaken the immune system.

Emergency warning signs in children are trouble breathing, bluish skin, dehydration, lethargy, irritability and fever with a rash.

In Ottawa County, health department officials say demand for the H1N1 vaccine was so high they have depleted supplies and canceled upcoming walk-in flu-shot clinics. Those canceled are flu clinics planned at health department offices in Grand Haven on Oct. 27, in Hudsonville on Oct. 29 and in Holland on Oct. 30.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X