Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Influenza 2015

Boston Public Health Commission Home

NEWS RELEASE: Boston health officials announce first influenza-related death this season
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015
    ​Remind residents that the flu vaccine is the best protection against illness​

BOSTON A Boston man in his twenties with underlying health conditions is the first death linked to influenza this season in the city, the Boston Public Health Commission announced today. Since the beginning of October, there have been 122 reported cases of influenza in Boston, resulting in 32 people being hospitalized.

"Each death due to seasonal influenza is a tragic loss for a family and for our community," said Dr. Huy Nguyen, interim executive director of the Boston Public Health Commission. "This is a reminder for all Boston residents of the seriousness of influenza, especially in vulnerable populations. According to a recent report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nationwide, deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza has already reached the epidemic threshold. It's vital that everyone get vaccinated to protect themselves and to protect their loved ones."
    http://www.bphc.org/onlinenewsroom/B...3-800cbc1cafce
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Boston Public Health Commission Home
    HOME > ONLINE NEWSROOM > BLOG
    BLOG
    Influenza in Boston: January 17th Edition
    Friday, January 23, 2015
    ​As we enter the New Year, Boston has begun to experience widespread influenza activity. Health care providers in Boston have reported 532 cases of influenza among Boston residents from October 1, 2014 January 17, 2015, including 144 hospitalizations and three deaths. All deaths occurred in individuals at high risk for severe illness with influenza. Although influenza-like illness, which includes symptoms of fever and cough or sore throat, has accounted for 0.98% of all emergency department visits since the beginning of the flu season in October, it accounted for 2.15% of visits for the week ending January 17. Influenza activity remains widespread throughout the United States.
    http://www.bphc.org/onlinenewsroom/B...3-800cbc1cafce
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X