X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Influenza 2017-18: 4 fatalities, including 2 children

Note: This is the first reported flu-related death in Maryland

Flu death reported at Frederick Memorial Hospital

An adult patient died at Frederick Memorial Hospital this week while being treated for the flu, spokeswoman Melissa Lambdin confirmed.

The woman, Colleen Morin, was a well-known and much-loved bartender at Firestone’s Culinary Tavern in downtown Frederick. Friends said she died on Thursday morning after protracted flu symptoms did not resolve normally.

Flu complications among healthy adults are extremely rare, said Dr. Vipul Kella, the medical director of the FMH emergency department. Kella could not talk specifically about Morin's case.

Frederick County, along with the rest of the country, has been experiencing a particularly brutal flu season driven largely by a more aggressive strain of the virus.
    Roughly 20 percent of emergency room patients at FMH are coming to the hospital for flu cases or flu-related symptoms, Kella said
    An adult patient died at Frederick Memorial Hospital this week while being treated for the flu, spokeswoman Melissa Lambdin confirmed.
    Last edited by JimO; February 8, 2018, 04:49 PM.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

1st Flu-Related Pediatric Death Recorded In Maryland This Year
    February 6, 2018 at 4:27 pm
    Filed Under:Flu Deaths, flue season, Local TV

BALTIMORE (WJZ) ? The Maryland Department of Health has recorded the first flu-related pediatric death in the state for this flu season.

Health officials have seen an increase in flu activity since mid-December, and are warning the public to do what they can to prevent the virus.
    The Maryland Department of Health has recorded the first influenza-associated pediatric death in the state for this flu season.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

2 Anne Arundel Residents Die From Flu
      Anne Arundel County health officials say two residents have died from the flu; authorities will offer free flu shots Feb. 9 at two clinics.
      By Deb Belt, Patch National Staff | Feb 8, 2018 3:44 pm ET

ANNAPOLIS, MD ? While the state of Maryland doesn't track adult flu deaths, Anne Arundel County health officials said Thursday that two residents have died from the flu this season. Local health experts urge residents to become vaccinated, saying most of flu patients who are hospitalized have not gotten a flu shot.
      From Oct. 1, 2017 to Jan. 25, 115 Anne Arundel County residents ranging in age from infants to adults over 100 years old were hospitalized because of the flu, says the Anne Arundel County Department of Health. The health department said in a news release that the deaths of two Anne Arundel County residents from the flu were confirmed by local hospitals ? both were residents were older than age 65.

During the week of Jan.28, the daily average of county residents visiting emergency rooms for influenza-like illnesses was 44. This flu season is Maryland's worst since 2014-2015, Anne Arundel County officials said.
      Anne Arundel County health officials say two residents have died from the flu; authorities will offer flu shots at two clinics.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Deadly Flu Still Widespread In Maryland, Slows Nationally
        The flu is slowing down, but in Maryland, where 46 people have died, it continues to grip the state for the seventh straight week.
        By Deb Belt, Patch National Staff | Mar 4, 2018 7:30 pm ET | Updated Mar 4, 2018 7:30 pm ET

Deadly Flu Still Widespread In Maryland, Slows Nationally
        The flu season is finally showing signs of slowing down, though 45 states, including Maryland, still reported widespread flu activity, and 32 states reported heavy patient activity at doctors' offices and clinics last week for treatment, U.S. health officials said Friday. A total of 46 deaths have been caused by the flu this season in Maryland, state health officials report.

The flu is slowing down, but in Maryland, where 46 people have died, it continues to grip the state for the seventh straight week.

Comment

126 People Died From The Flu In Maryland Last Year. Sign Up To Get A Flu Shot
          November 13, 2018 at 2:34 pmFiled Under:Flu, LifeBridge Health

The flu shot, not the nasal mist, is first choice for children 6 months and older, pediatrics group says
          In Maryland, 126 flu deaths were reported last season. Protect yourself this year and get a flu shot!
          In Maryland, 126 flu deaths were reported last season. Protect yourself this year and get a flu shot!

Comment

Working...
          X