• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana Flu vaccine priorities cited

Flu vaccine priorities cited

Advocate Capitol News Bureau
    Published: Sep 4, 2009 - Page: 5A

Health-care workers and school-age children will be among the first people allowed to receive the swine flu vaccine in Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal said Thursday.

Jindal said the state?s share of the H1N1 ? also known as swine flu ? vaccine should be available by November, at the latest.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is distributing the vaccine to high-risk populations.

Health-care workers, school-age children, people who care for children, pregnant women and the chronically ill would receive the vaccination first, he said. It will be free, though patients could be charged depending on who gives the vaccination.

State Health Secretary Alan Levine said he expects the vaccine will be dispensed to public health clinics, schools, private doctors? offices and pharmacies.

The vaccine, which still is being developed, is likely to be a two-part shot, Levine said.

He said the state will encourage providers to waive an administrative fee for the vaccine.

The governor said the vaccine would be offered to a broader group of people once the state?s shipments increase.

The CDC describes the swine flu as a ?new flu virus of swine origin? with symptoms that include ?fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.?

The virus is contagious and is easily spread among children.

In Louisiana, the swine flu has killed three people, a fraction of the more than 500 people who have died across the nation.

The Jindal administration reports 30,000 cases of H1N1 in Louisiana since April.

The governor said a nasal spray immunization is available right now for the regular flu.Page 2 of 2 SINGLE PAGE VIEW
    Shots will be out in a few weeks, he said.

?Go ahead and get the seasonal flu vaccine as it becomes available,? Jindal said.

The governor also urged people to take common-sense precautions.

He said people should:

Jindal sounded congested but said he doubts he is suffering from the swine flu.

?I?ve got a constant sore throat. ? For years now, I?ve had doctors tell me I should talk less,? the governor said.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X