• Show
Clear All

• Local Woman First In La. To Die Of Swine Flu

Source: http://www.wdsu.com/health/20386944/detail.html

Local Woman First In La. To Die Of Swine Flu
    H1N1 Has Claimed 436 Lives Nationwide

POSTED: 1:54 pm CDT August 13, 2009
    UPDATED: 2:00 pm CDT August 13, 2009

NEW ORLEANS -- A 21-year-old woman from the New Orleans area has become the first in Louisiana to die from the swine flu, or H1N1, according to the Department of Health and Hospitals.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to this young woman?s family and friends," DHH Secretary Alan Levine said in a statement. "It is important we all remain vigilant for symptoms of flu-like illness, and be serious about taking preventive measures against the spread of flu."

There have been 346 confirmed cases of H1N1 in Louisiana since the virus emerged in the spring, DHH reports. But under U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, all cases are no longer being confirmed, as the virus has become so widespread.

Nationally, there have been more than 6,500 hospitalizations and 436 deaths attributed to H1N1, according to the CDC. The CDC estimates that more than 1 million people became ill with H1N1 flu between April and June this year.

State epidemiologist Raoult Ratard estimates that more than 15,000 Louisianans have become ill with novel H1N1 since April, according to DHH.

Re: Local Woman First In La. To Die Of Swine Flu

These kinds of statements have been popping up lately:

State epidemiologist Raoult Ratard estimates that more than 15,000 Louisianans have become ill with novel H1N1 since April, according to DHH.
    Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Comment

Last report from New Orleans was 13 confirmed cases. The comment about the 15,000 cases today was to "justify" the first death in the city. I am sad to say that I received my first "you were right" today. I am not proud of it, it just took too long to come.
      "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
      -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by Windwaker View Post
        Last report from New Orleans was 13 confirmed cases. The comment about the 15,000 cases today was to "justify" the first death in the city. I am sad to say that I received my first "you were right" today. I am not proud of it, it just took too long to come.
        Windwaker, you make a good point. It is possible that as the death toll starts to rise in various states and countries that there will be an official "estimate" of a large number of unconfirmed cases to keep the CFR seemingly low.
        http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X