• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu bug bites hard in Louisiana

Posted: Wednesday, 02 February 2011

Flu bug bites hard in Louisiana

Don Ames Reporting

<!--- Box_96523377_ImageContainerDiv End --->
    The flu has hit Louisiana especially hard this year, and continues to be a major problem.

Health experts say the situation is unusual.

"The flu problem has been extraordinary this year. We've had a fairly early season," says Dr. Frank Welch, Medical Director for Louisiana's Immunization Program.

"And we have been at the maximum level, which is called 'widespread', for about three to four weeks now," says Welch.

This season has also produced a number of different strains of flu, and it's tough to predict when it'll peak.

"Because we are seeing so many different types of flu, it wouldn't be surprising to me if there was a new type that started coming in and we see another peak coming up in the next couple weeks," Welch says.

Full text and audio:

NOLA’s most trusted news, entertaining talk & comprehensive sports. Stream, read and download from any device on Audacy.
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Re: Flu bug bites hard in Louisiana

Posted: Monday, 14 February 2011 7:20AM

Flu spreading fast

Dave Cohen Reporting

There is a big influenza outbreak in Louisiana.

"Influenza this year is as bad as I've seen it in my 15 years of practice," State Director of Immunology for the Department of Health & Hospitals Dr. Frank Welch says.

The number of reported cases of folks suffering flu-like symptoms has increased by 8% in just one week in Louisiana.

More...
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
    X