Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Influenza 2017-18; 259 fatalities

Officials warn of bad flu season as number of flu-related deaths rises
    Iowa Department of Public Health reports four new influenza-related deaths Friday

KCCI Updated: 6:31 PM CST Jan 5, 2018
    Hannah Hilyard

DES MOINES, Iowa —
    The Iowa Department of Public Health reported four new influenza-related deaths Friday: an elderly female and an older adult female in southeast Iowa, an elderly female in northeast Iowa and an elderly male in northwest Iowa.

The department defines an older adult as being between 61 and 80 years of age and an elderly person as being over 80 years old.

Since October 2017, a total of six influenza-related deaths have been reported.
    http://www.kcci.com/article/4-more-i...n-flu/14759866
    Last edited by JimO; January 26, 2018, 05:05 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Source: http://whotv.com/2018/01/12/eight-mo...orted-in-iowa/

Eight More Flu-Related Deaths Reported in Iowa
    Posted 9:26 am, January 12, 2018, by Kelly Maricle, Updated at 09:32AM, January 12, 2018

DES MOINES, Iowa ? Public health officials have announced eight more flu-related deaths in Iowa...

...They say five of the deaths occurred in central Iowa, two of the deaths were in southwest Iowa, and another death was reported in eastern Iowa.

The flu-related deaths include four elderly females, two elderly males, and two female older adults. Five of those who died had underlying health issues...

Comment

Newton Mother Dies from Flu-Related Illness
      POSTED 10:40 PM, JANUARY 15, 2018, BY JODI WHITWORTH

NEWTON, Iowa -- A young wife and mother has died due to compilations of the flu.

Family members say 34-year-old Nikki Burtlow passed away on Friday at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Burtlow's oldest sister, Amanda Reavis, says Nikki put off going to the doctor for several days despite feeling ill. She eventually went, but it was already too late.

"They ended up treating her for a chest cold and it turned out to be much worse than what that was," Reavis says.

NEWTON, Iowa  —  A young wife and mother has died due to complications of the flu. Family members say 34-year-old Nikki Burtlow passed away on Friday at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Bu…

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Iowa flu deaths more than double in a week, mainly among the elderly
        Tony Leys, tleys@dmreg.com Published 5:13 p.m. CT Jan. 19, 2018 | Updated 5:21 p.m. CT Jan. 19, 2018

The number of confirmed flu deaths in Iowa more than doubled in the past week, as the worst flu outbreak in years continues to spread, state authorities reported Friday.

Iowa officials have confirmed 29 flu deaths so far this winter, up from 14 reported a week ago. The elderly have been hit particularly hard, with 23 of the 29 victims being older than 80, the Iowa Department of Public Health reported Friday.
        This year's dominant flu strain, H3N3, is hitting the elderly particularly hard, with 23 of Iowa's 29 deaths being among people older than 80.

Comment

Iowa reports 43 flu-related deaths through Week 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IA Week 3.PNG
Views:	158
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	789193
          "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Source: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...eek/302451002/

Flu's Iowa death toll climbs from 43 to 77 in a week
            Tony Leys, Published 4:32 p.m. CT Feb. 2, 2018

Influenza has killed at least 77 Iowans so far this winter, and the infections continue to mount, the Iowa Department of Public Health reported Friday.

The viruses are causing the worst outbreak in several years in Iowa and around much of the country.

The number of confirmed Iowa flu deaths nearly doubled in a week, from 43 reported Jan. 26. The new report warns that the estimate of deaths is lower than the actual number. That?s because it can take weeks after a death for an official cause to be determined.

The average age of the Iowa victims so far is 84, according to Ann Garvey, deputy state epidemiologist. Fifty-two of the 77 were older than 80; 20 of them were ages 61 to 80; four were ages 41 to 60; and one was age 18 to 40...

Comment

Flu Update: Activity still high in Iowa and Illinois

Posted: Fri 3:14 PM, Feb 09, 2018 | Updated: Fri 3:18 PM, Feb 09, 2018

QUAD CITIES (KWQC) - The flu is still a concern across Iowa and Illinois, but local health officials have noticed some changes.

According to state surveillance reports released Friday, Feb. 9, 2018, flu activity continues to be high in Iowa. The state reports there were 152 influenza-related hospitalizations reported last week. Forty-eight schools reported 10 percent or more illness. There have been a total of 97 influenza-related deaths reported this
              season.

UnityPoint Health - Trinity says it has seen a decrease in the number of patients testing positive for influenza A, but the number testing positive for influenza B has been increasing.

Comment

Influenza-like Illness (ILI) and Other Respiratory Viruses
                Weekly Activity Report
                For the week ending February 10, 2018 - Week 6

Quick Stats
                Percent of influenza rapid test positive 28% (1490/5249)
                Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 32% (261/815)
                Influenza-associated hospitalizations 125/6721 inpatients
                Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 5.12% (baseline 1.9%)
                Percent school absence due to illness 4.53%
                Number of long-term care influenza outbreaks 2
                Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 63
                Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 126
                Influenza-associated pediatric mortality (Cumulative) 0

Iowa HHS provides high quality programs and services that protect and improve the health and resiliency of individuals, families, and communities.

Comment

Flu's Iowa death toll hits 157, triple what it was a year ago
                  Tony Leys, tleys@dmreg.com Published 4:04 p.m. CT Feb. 23, 2018 | Updated 4:05 p.m. CT Feb. 23, 2018

This season?s vicious flu viruses so far have killed more Iowans than died from the disease in all of last winter, but there are signs that the outbreak might be starting to peak, state experts reported Friday.

Iowa has seen 157 confirmed flu deaths so far this winter, according to the Iowa Department of Public Health. That tops last year?s total of 135. Significantly more flu deaths are expected to be recorded this season, because it often takes several weeks after a death to confirm and report the cause.

Comment

For the week ending February 24, 2018 - Week 8

Quick Stats
                    Percent of influenza rapid test positive 27% (967/3561)
                    Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 22% (145/647)
                    Influenza-associated hospitalizations 73/3897 inpatients
                    Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 2.30% (baseline 1.9%)
                    Percent school absence due to illness 3.40%
                    Number of long-term care influenza outbreaks 3
                    Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 9
                    Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 185
                    Iowa HHS provides high quality programs and services that protect and improve the health and resiliency of individuals, families, and communities.

Comment

For the week ending March 3, 2018 - Week 9
                      Quick Stats
                      Percent of influenza rapid test positive 28% (956/3416)
                      Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 21% (127/604)
                      Influenza-associated hospitalizations 103/7412 inpatients
                      Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 1.55% (baseline 1.9%)
                      Percent school absence due to illness 2.57%
                      Number of long-term care influenza outbreaks 1
                      Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 3
                      Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 207

Comment

For the week ending March 10, 2018 - Week 10
                        Percent of influenza rapid test positive 23% (640/2780)
                        Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 25% (123/484)
                        Influenza-associated hospitalizations 56/3674 inpatients
                        Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 1.86% (baseline 1.9%)
                        Percent school absence due to illness 2.27%
                        Number of long-term care influenza outbreaks 0
                        Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 5
                        Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 227

Comment

For the week ending March 17, 2018 - Week 11

Percent of influenza rapid test positive 22% (468/2150)
                          Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 19% (76/403)
                          Influenza-associated hospitalizations 86/6337 inpatients
                          Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 2.50% (baseline 1.9%)
                          Percent school absence due to illness 2.16% *
                          Number of long-term care influenza outbreaks 3
                          Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 5 *
                          Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 235

Comment

For the week ending March 31, 2018 - Week 13
                            Percent of influenza rapid test positive 17% (239/1438)
                            Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 19% (46/237)
                            Influenza-associated hospitalizations 30/6201 inpatients
                            Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 1.39% (baseline 1.9%)
                            Percent school absence due to illness 1.87%
                            Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 1
                            Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 250

Comment

For the week ending April 7, 2018 - Week 14
                              Percent of influenza rapid test positive 17% (218/1311)
                              Percent of RSV rapid tests positive 17% (45/263)
                              Influenza-associated hospitalizations 34/5077 inpatients
                              Percent of outpatient visits for ILI 0.87% (baseline 1.9%)
                              Percent school absence due to illness 1.93%
                              Number of schools with ≥10% absence due to illness 1
                              Influenza-associated mortality -all ages (Cumulative) 255

Comment

Working...
                              X