• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis man recounts nearly deadly bout with H1N1

Source: http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=11261584

Indianapolis man recounts nearly deadly bout with H1N1
    Posted: Oct 05, 2009 4:25 PM EST Updated: Oct 05, 2009 4:35 PM EST
    Jeff Chandler Jeff Chandler

Chandler didn't realize how close he'd come to dying until he saw the pictures of himself in the ICU. Chandler didn't realize how close he'd come to dying until he saw the pictures of himself in the ICU.

Indianapolis - H1N1 is a dangerous virus. An Indianapolis man didn't realize how serious it was until he woke up after weeks in a coma, then saw the pictures and read the words of relatives who weren't sure he would make it.

Jeff Chandler is living proof of how dangerous the H1N1 virus can be. He came down with the flu in May. By June, he was in a medically induced coma in a hospital intensive care unit, connected to a room full of machines. It was a last-ditch effort to save the 32-year-old's life.

The pictures taken of Chandler when he was in intensive care appear to show an accident victim. But it was a virus that caused it.

Just days before, Chandler and his fiancee Nichol Phillips were full of life and expecting their first child. In late May and feeling ill, he made two trips to the emergency room and was twice diagnosed with seasonal flu.

"It can't be that bad," he reasoned.

It was. The day after his last visit, Chandler was coughing blood, his lips and fingers were turning blue and he could hardly walk.

"He was falling apart," said Phillips.

Doctors hurried Chandler to the ICU, one of them later admitting that "he didn't think I was going to make it through the night. That's how much damage had been done to my lungs and heart."

Nichol Phillips started keeping a journal - and her hopes up.

"I knew there was a good chance he wouldn't make it but told him, 'Don't let me raise this boy by myself,'" said Phillips.

Jeff Chandler woke up after three weeks in a coma, his mind still foggy from all the drugs.

"Thumbs up. I'm all right, I am going to make it," he said.

It was days before he understood what he'd been through.

"That's when it started sinking in. It was hard to swallow. I came that close to death," he said.

It was another two weeks before he could walk or even feed himself

Now Chandler is telling his story, fearing too many people are now downplaying H1N1 and not taking the threat seriously.

"They are saying it is no big deal. I hope they don't have to go through something like that - to realize it is a big deal," he said.

Chandler says he lost 35 pounds while he was fighting the flu. He spent a week doing rehabilitation, and three months later, he says he still tires easily and can't run. It may take many more months before he's fully up to speed again - and before his heart and lungs heal.

The Health Department will be offering a toll-free hotline for the public to call for information on the H1N1 flu and its vaccine at: 1-877-826-0011 or TTY 1-888-561-0044. It will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday-Friday.

Indiana flu vaccine info

H1N1 info
Working...
X