• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 Outbreak In Warrick Co. Schools

H1N1 Outbreak In Warrick Co. Schools
    Reported by: Sarah Fortune
    Tuesday, Sep 29, 2009 @08:08pm CDT

An H1N1 outbreak has apparently hit Warrick County Schools. Hundreds of students are home sick. Most of those students have flu like symptoms. The Health Department says all flu cases should be considered H1N1, since the official flu season doesn't peak until December.

At the Boonville Junior High, 17 percent of students were home sick Monday. Absences for Tuesday have not been added up yet. The parents Fox 7 spoke with are upset the school didn't inform them of the problem.

Jennifer Hammers has two daughters, the oldest Kali goes to Boonville Middle School. Kali noticed several classmates weren't in school. Jennifer made calls to find out why and the answer alarmed her. "I want everyone to be aware of the fact that there is a problem and it is going on. And I want them to be concerned and take measures to protect themselves and their families," said Hammers.

School records show 125 students were absent from Boonville Middle School Monday, that's 17 percent. "At this point in time we're going to continue to monitor the situation. We're asking our parents if their child has a fever, vomiting or has flu like symptoms keep their child at home," said Supt. Brad Schneider.

If 20 percent of students become ill the school must notify the state. At that point, school officials will meet with the Health Department to decide what to do. It's possible that schools will close but Schneider says that is not being discussed at this time.

"It's kinda scary that I could get swine flu then bring it home to my mom who has a very bad immune system," said Kali Crowley a Boonville Jr. High Student. Her mother, Jennifer has type one diabetes and feels the school should have notified parents. However, school officials say the number of absentees is on par with the normal flu season.

Monday, Boonville High School had 10 percent of students absent. Other Warrick County Schools averaged about 7 percent. In a normal day, the absenteeism is between 3 and 4 percent.

School officials say it is not a time for panic, the H1N1 virus should be treated just like the normal flu.

http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=99171
Working...
X