• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Reports 4th Death

Source:

Fourth swine flu death is Elkhart County resident

Story Created: Jul 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM EDT
    Story Updated: Jul 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM EDT

ELKHART (AP) — State health officials say a resident of Elkhart County has died of complications from swine flu.

The death announced today is the fourth in the state linked to the illness since April. The State Department of Health said it would release no other details about the latest death.

Two of the state's deaths were a 26-year-old woman and her 19-year-old brother from Dearborn County, while the other was a Lake County resident.

Health officials from around state plan to meet Tuesday in Wabash to discuss preparations for the coming flu season, including the possibility of mass vaccinations.
    Last edited by mixin; July 31, 2009, 06:48 PM. Reason: Added an "a" so the title reads: Indiana
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: Indian Reports 4th Death

This is my county. They announced the death on the news this evening but gave no details.

Indiana's health dept. has not updated the map since the 16th; since "State Health Commissioner Judy Monroe, M.D. says the pandemic H1N1 influenza virus is still circulating in Indiana and people should continue to take preventative steps to stay healthy and limit the spread of the virus", the least it could do is to keep us updated weekly.

The site did add a .pdf a couple of days ago. This is a little more than the usual "wash your hands" (although that is included):

Transmission:
    . Large droplet transmission is confirmed, and occurs when respiratory droplets generated from the source person are transferred to another person primarily during coughing, sneezing, or talking.
    . Small droplet, fecal/oral transmission is unconfirmed, but remains a possibility.
    . Aerosol spread of influenza virus is dependant upon both ambient relative humidity and temperature.
    . While both cold and dry conditions favor transmission, Oregon researchers found a significant correlation between "absolute" humidity and influenza virus survival and transmission. When absolute humidity is low-as in the peak flu months of January and February-the virus appears to survive longer and transmission rates increase. (Transmission 50%, up from 12%, and survival 90%, up from 36%).
    . However, H1N1 is probably in the U.S. during the summer NOT due to better transmission properties, but because it is a novel virus, so more people are susceptible and fewer have immunity.
    . Incubation period is 2 to 7 days; and the infected person may become contagious anywhere from 1 day before, to 7 days after the onset of symptoms.

The government will be offering the vaccine and ancillary supplies including syringes, needles, sharp containers, and alcohol swabs at no cost. Gloves and band aids will NOT be provided.

more: http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/41166.htm
    The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Re: Indiana Reports 4th Death

The State Department of Health did not release any other information about the victim, including the identity, where the person lived, or when he or she died.

In all cases, family members, hospital workers and anyone else who may have come in contact will be tested, said Dr. Judy Monroe, state health commissioner. Monroe said it's the department's policy not to release any information about victims.

"Everyone needs to have appropriate concern," Monroe told The Tribune Friday afternoon. "We've had about 300 confirmed cases in Indiana, and I bet there are 10 to 20 times that many people that had the virus, even a mild form of it." (I wonder how she arrived at that figure?)

-------------------------------------------------------------

From the Elkhart Truth:
      ELKHART -- A man died from complications related to H1N1 flu this week, becoming Elkhart County's first resident to die of the flu strain and the state's fourth.

Elkhart General Hospital officials confirmed Friday the patient was an adult male, but would not divulge any other details. Elkhart County Coroner John White said the patient was being treated at EGH and he learned of the death Thursday afternoon, though it was not a case he investigated because it was not considered an unnatural death.

What's the protocol?

Beverly Myers, director of nursing at Elkhart General Hospital, said the hospital treats anyone who comes in the door with flu symptoms as if they have H1N1 until tests prove otherwise.

"As soon as someone reports to our (Emergency Department) with flu-like symptoms, we put a mask on them and we wear masks," Myers said.

Workers take a nasal swab of the patient and perform a preliminary test in the hospital, from which they see results in an hour. Then the sample gets tested by the South Bend Medical Foundation. After that, it goes to the state lab in Indianapolis to confirm it is H1N1. Patients are quarantined in one of six rooms with negative pressure so that the air does not circulate into the hallway. The precautions are similar to those taken with patients with tuberculosis, she said.

The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

sorry to hear about Elkhart County mixin. thanks for the extra info and stay safe.

Comment

Appleblossum, thanks for your concern.

Only 4 cases but 1 resulting in death is very unusual.

Comment

Working...
          X