• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate dies at jail after treatment for flu illness

Source: http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter...pcjail.article

Inmate dies at jail after treatment for flu illness

July 28, 2009
    Post-Tribune staff report

A 29-year-old inmate at the Porter County Jail died Sunday morning while being treated for flu-like symptoms.

Lt. Chris Eckert, public information office for the county sheriff's department, said Trell Houston was found unresponsive at 7:28 a.m. Sunday.

He was transported to Porter hospital in Valparaiso where he was pronounced dead at 8:13 a.m.

Houston, of Fort Wayne, was housed in the jail department's medical division "for a couple of days for flu-like symptoms," Eckert said.

Eckert said no "outbreak or anything like that" has spread to the other inmates. The case is under investigation.

An autopsy was conducted Monday. Results are pending, said Porter County Coroner Vicki Deppe.

Houston had no visible trauma to his body, Deppe said.

There is no indication that the death is related to swine flu or meningitis.

"There is no evidence point at this point that makes me think it's (one of) those things," she said.

Houston was awaiting transfer to the state prison system on a 30-year sentence for dealing cocaine, according to jail officials.

The last death in the jail was January 2007, when a 43-year-old inmate died after leaping from a second-level balcony.

Comment on this story at www.post-trib.com

Re: Inmate dies at jail after treatment for flu illness

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
    "There is no evidence point at this point that makes me think it's (one of) those things," she said.
    Then what, might I ask, does she think he died from?
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: Inmate dies at jail after treatment for flu illness

Porter county is adjacent to Lake county, where there was an H1N1 death a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
      X