Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US - Merrillville, Indiana School Closed For Disinfection After Students Contract H1N1 Swine Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US - Merrillville, Indiana School Closed For Disinfection After Students Contract H1N1 Swine Flu

CHICAGO (CBS) ? A high school in northwest Indiana was closed Monday, to be disinfected, after two students were diagnosed with the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu.
    [...]
    The Lake County Health Department said they were notified that two students at AHS were diagnosed with H1N1, but the students live in Porter County, so the case was turned over to the Porter County Health Department.
    [...]

Re: US - Merrillville, Indiana School Closed For Disinfection After Students Contract H1N1 Swine Flu

The article is unclear. Did these students contract the circulating H1N1 virus, which is sometimes called swine flu due to its origin in the 2009 pandemic, or did they contract a non-circulating swine H1N1 virus (from an ill animal)?

Given the wording in the article, and the location of this incident, either scenario is possible.

Comment

Re: US - Merrillville, Indiana School Closed For Disinfection After Students Contract H1N1 Swine Flu

I'm not sure if it has been determined yet. This article says the two students are brothers: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...283738711.html

[...]
      Two brothers who attend Andrean High School were diagnosed Sunday and were discharged from the emergency room that evening, the Northwest Indiana Times reports.
      [...]

This article, from the Chicago Tribune, says one student at the school has H1N1 and another was diagnosed with viral meningitis.

[...]
      School officials in the Diocese of Gary Catholic school told parents in an email that one student came down with H1N1 influenza and another student suffered from viral meningitis. Officials described both infections as ?highly contagious.?
      [...]

I don't have a medical background, but it seems unlikely to me that someone would be discharged from the emergency room the same day they were diagnosed with viral meningitis. I wonder if there are three patients or if there are some news organizations with the facts mixed up.

I checked the Porter County Health Department web site but didn't find any additional information.

Comment

Working...
      X