Illinois: Influenza 2017-18; 33 fatalities, including 9 children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois: Influenza 2017-18; 33 fatalities, including 9 children

Barrington 4th grader dies of complications from flu, school officials confirm
    By John Garcia
    Updated 58 mins ago
    BARRINGTON, Ill. (WLS) -- An elementary student in the Barrington 220 School District has died of complications from the flu, school officials confirmed Tuesday.

The student was identified as
    He died at Lutheran General Hospital on Dec. 31, 2017, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
    One influenza-related pediatric death has been reported in Illinois this season, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. They did not provide further details citing privacy rules. Only influenza-related pediatric deaths are reported to the department.
    http://abc7chicago.com/health/barrin...-says/2918401/

This is the second pediatric fatality reported from Illinois and the 5th overall media reported fatality. - Ro
    Last edited by JimO; January 19, 2018, 11:21 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Deadly start to flu season in Rock Island County
    POSTED 4:30 PM, JANUARY 9, 2018, BY CHRIS MINOR, UPDATED AT 05:21PM, JANUARY 9, 2018

ROCK ISLAND - Rock Island County Coroner Brian Gustafson says at least three people have died this season from flu-related illness, and issued a grim reminder for people under the weather to take the illness seriously.
    The victims who died were 60 years of age and older. All had pre-existing conditions and did not seek medical treatment when they contracted the flu.

"I signed one death certificate in November, one in December, and one today," he said.

Comment the previously reported adult deaths were from McLean county. The State total has now risen to at least 8 - 6 adults and 2 children. - Ro

Coroner: 2 flu deaths reported in McLean County
    KEVIN BARLOW kbarlow@pantagraph.com Dec 21, 2017 2

BLOOMINGTON ? Two people have died this week in McLean County as a result of flu, Coroner Kathy Davis said Wednesday morning.

?We have two deaths related to influenza A,? she said. ?One came in from Michigan into Illinois but was a 25-year-old. The other was in an assisted living facility.?
    http://www.pantagraph.com/lifestyles...f98f5d26a.html

Third influenza death hits McLean County
    Posted on December 22, 2017
    By Howard Packowitz

BLOOMINGTON? A third person has died in McLean County from influenza.

Coroner Kathy Davis said the unidentified person was 60 years old and had a heart condition.
    http://www.wjbc.com/2017/12/22/third...mclean-county/
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Nearly ten flu-related deaths reported in the Quad Cities area

By Gabriella Rusk | Posted: Thu 5:39 PM, Jan 11, 2018 | Updated: Thu 6:20 PM, Jan 11, 2018

QUAD CITIES (KWQC) - The flu is widespread across the country.

Rock Island County reports four deaths due to flu-related illnesses.

In Rock Island County, four deaths this year were due to flu-related illnesses. In Iowa, the CDC reports six people have died so far this flu season.

Comment

Flu activity remains high, too soon to tell if peak hit

With a few months left in a flu season that arrived early and hit hard in Chicago and across the country, public health officials continue to urge people to get the vaccinated against influenza, which has been deadly, landed people in emergency rooms, and kept employees out of work and students out of school.

-snip-

Since October, Chicago has had 203 flu-related ICU hospitalizations. Of those, a dozen ICU deaths ? none children ? were reported in Chicago, Fracchione said.

Statewide, Illinois has seen one pediatric death among the 30 children who have died from the flu nationwide this season. State data also showed the percentage of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness was slightly lower, as was the number of flu-related ICU admissions, for the second week of January compared with the first week.

With a few months left in a flu season that arrived early and hit hard, public health officials continue to urge people to get vaccinated for influenza,
        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Stateline health officials report multiple deaths from the flu
          By Breane LygaCONNECT

Posted: Feb 02, 2018 1:40 PM EST

ROCKFORD (WREX) -
          As the flu is still widespread in Northern Illinois, an elderly man in Ogle County has died from the virus.

According to the Ogle County Health Department, the death was reported last month. There have been 310 reported flu cases in the county this season.

Meanwhile, the Winnebago County Coroner is reporting two deaths from the flu in Winnebago County this season. During the week of Jan. 14 to Jan. 20, the Winnebago County Health Department reported 517 new flu cases. The health department releases the number of flu cases reported each Friday at the end of the day. For the week of Jan. 21 to Jan. 27, the health department that weekly number rose to 706. That makes the total number of cases for the season 2,597.

Cook (inc. Chicago): 12
          McLean: 3
          Ogle: 1
          Rock Island: 4
          Winnebago: 2

Tot: 22

Comment

Illinois reports two additional pediatric deaths in Week 5 for a total of 4.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IL Week 5.PNG
Views:	503
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	789947
            2017 - 2018 Flu Activity Report While influenza is not a reportable disease in Illinois, IDPH examines reports from many health care sites throughout the state. These sites include physician offices, emergency departments, and other clinics that report acute illness with influenza-like illness, and institutional settings such as nursing homes and prisons that report outbreaks. Accordingly, IDPH monitors disease trends and influenza activities as they occur on a weekly basis.
            "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Coroner: Woman's death came from flu, pneumonia
              Posted: Feb 15, 2018 9:53 PM EST
              Updated: Feb 15, 2018 9:53 PM EST

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ill. (WAND) ? The flu has claimed an Illinois woman?s life.

The Douglas County Coroner?s Office says Tuscola woman Chantelle Clark, 24, died from an unidentified flu strain and pneumonia. Investigators completed an autopsy on Clark Wednesday.

Comment

Flu has killed 8 in Champaign County, 1 in Douglas County this year
                Fri, 02/16/2018 - 12:12pm | Debra Pressey
                By DEBRA PRESSEY
                dpressey@news-gazette.com

TUSCOLA ? Eight people in Champaign County have died from the flu this year, according to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District.

All eight known cases were older adults who died in January, public health Administrator Julie Pryde said.

Champaign: 8
                Cook (inc. Chicago): 12
                Douglas: 1
                McLean: 3
                Ogle: 1
                Rock Island: 4
                Winnebago: 2

Tot: 31

Comment

Flu virus still sickening central Illinois
                  Posted: Feb 26, 2018 11:49 PM EST
                  By: Deron MolenCONNECT

DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) ? While doctors across the country are reporting a decrease in flu cases, the virus is still being blamed for deaths in central Illinois.

The Macon County Coroner says a Decatur resident died from the flu last week.

Comment

Week 15: Week Ending Saturday, April 14, 2018

Current Week Quick Stats
                    Illinois Influenza Geographic Spread Local
                    Percent of Outpatient Visits for ILI1, 4 1.53% (baseline 1.8%)
                    Percent/Number of Influenza Positive Tests2 Current Week: 10.6% (78/738);
                    Season: 21.2% (6492/30594)
                    Influenza-Associated ICU Admissions3 Current Week: 23; Season: 2199
                    Influenza Outbreaks Current Week: 2; Season: 440
                    Influenza-Associated Pediatric Deaths (Season Total) 8

5-year-old dies from flu-related illness in Carpentersville

ABC 7 Eyewitness News Exclusive
                    By Michelle Gallardo
                    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 04:47PM
                    CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. (WLS) -- The Kane County Health department confirmed Wednesday that a pediatric flu-related death took place there last week. While officials are not allowed to go into specifics, the child's parents confirmed the victim as 5-year-old Mia Lobo from Carpentersville.

Lobo died Saturday at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge.
                    The Kane County Health department confirmed Wednesday that a pediatric flu-related death took place there last week.

Comment

Working...
                    X