X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch in testing standard

Flu in state spreads beyond Chicago
    May 2, 2009 10:34 AM | No Comments
    Illinois health authorities reported the first H1N1 swine flu in the state outside the Chicago area today, as both Sangamon and Winnebago counties discovered one probable case each and the number of reported cases statewide rose to 88.

Testing Friday discovered probable swine flu in the cases in the capital city county of Sangamon, and in Winnebago County, which includes Rockford, according to the state health department.

"We anticipated seeing cases of the H1N1 flu virus across Illinois, and we expect to see more," said state Health Director Dr. Damon Arnold in a statement. "However, there is no need to be alarmed," because the state has medical supplies and antiviral drugs stockpiled if the outbreak because more deadly.

Today's totals increased the number of likely or confirmed cases from 54 statewide on Friday; the number of cases in Chicago and suburban Cook County alone now total 54, with 26 of those cases in the city. The number of cases in the collar counties increased by only 6, with no increase in DuPage, McHenry or Kendall counties.

Illinois has switched to a less aggressive testing standard as the number of swine flu cases continues to grow. The state now recommends testing on hospitalized patients with severe symptoms in order to use resources more cautiously. (bolding mine)

Re: Switch in testing standard

well, that should keep the numbers lower.

Comment

Yes. It also makes me wonder if they have patients with severe symptoms to apply this new standard to or are just switching the standard in anticipation.
      I think we will see more states begin to guard their supply of Tamiflu as there is a limit to all supplies.

Comment

Interesting development... Once a disease becomes established in a community you can assume that that is what it is without doing repeated testing. It seems that the decision has been made that new cases of influenza like illness showing up now in the whole state can be assumed to be novel H1N1 (2009) and should be treated with tamiflu or probably preferably Relenza... They still want to analyze the viruses that are causing severe disease.....

Comment

I think you nailed it, Kent. It makes sense to me as a good use of resources, they will run out of testing supplies and personel resources soon. After all, regular human flu season is over, and almost every pos flu is likely to be the new strain just by default.
          Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
          Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
          Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
          Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
          Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
          To weave it into fabric..
          Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
          All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Agreed there just isn't the capacity to test everyone once it is established. You do what you do for seasonal flu, test a sample and extrapolate.

Comment

Originally posted by LMonty View Post
              I think you nailed it, Kent. It makes sense to me as a good use of resources, they will run out of testing supplies and personel resources soon. After all, regular human flu season is over, and almost every pos flu is likely to be the new strain just by default.
              I agree that they don't have adequate resources for such a problem.

But i don't think that it can be so easy discharged other ilnnesses and assuming that all poping out were this novel flu -
              - in many other countries of the northern hemisphere the lab test of admited suspected people with Mex. contacts, demonstrates that some have the novel virus, but others have other versions of seasonal flu, even colds.

So, because of the various (many times without temp) novel flu symptoms, at the field could further be a possibility to interpret many cold/ARDS/atyp.pneumo/.../ cases, as this novel one.

So the above problem without fast chip tests would insert an oseltamivir preventive also usage, even from the doctors.

Probably, there are not many options - now is better to spent some more quantity of antivirals to slow the spread and treat people, than wast their life in doubt, while waiting for tests that not came.

Comment

Working...
              X