Georgia boy who had flu dies from apparent brain infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia boy who had flu dies from apparent brain infection

Note: This is a warning to parents especially, but anyone else as well, if someone has the flu, appears to be recovering, but suddenly develops symptoms of worsening illness, it is an emergency situation in many cases and medical care should be sought out immediately.

Georgia boy who had flu dies from apparent brain infection

Health officials in Georgia are looking into whether the flu killed a 5-year-old boy. Eli Snook's parents, Leota and Aaron, said he came down with a high fever nearly two weeks ago, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann. They took Eli to urgent care near their home in Marietta where they said he was diagnosed with the flu and prescribed antibiotics and the antiviral medication, Tamiflu.

"After he got well from the flu, a few days later, he got sick again," Leota said.

Eli tested negative for the flu this time, but doctors noticed a rash across his body and sent him to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.

"I see his face and he's like he's biting his jaw and his arm goes in and he starts having seizures," Aaron said.

He was placed in a medically induced coma while doctors performed a CAT scan and a spinal tap. But a virus had spread to his brain.

"His brain swelled past the point of no return and they told us that he was brain dead," Aaron said.

Health officials in are looking into whether the flu killed Eli Snook
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X