Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia (US) Influenza 2017-18; 145 fatalities

5 dead, hundreds hospitalized in Georgia flu-related cases
    Alabama has declared a public health emergency.
    Author: Tim Darnell
    Published: 7:29 PM EST January 12, 2018
    Five people are dead from flu-related illnesses and another 300 have been hospitalized, the Georgia Department of Public Health said on Friday,
    http://www.11alive.com/article/news/...s/85-507504458
    Last edited by JimO; January 31, 2018, 09:26 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Flu deaths reach 12 in Georgia as flu remains widespread
    LIVING By Helena Oliviero 1

Posted: 5:50 p.m. Friday, January 19, 2018

The number of flu deaths continues to climb in Georgia as the flu outbreak remains widespread here and across the country.
    Influenza activity has increased sharply in Georgia and across the United States during recent weeks, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. During the second week of the year, which runs from Jan. 7 to Jan. 13, there were 40 hospitalizations in metro Atlanta due to influenza, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. That?s down from 56 hospitalizations during the previous week. There have also been a total of 12 confirmed influenza-related deaths in the state this flu season, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. That is up from a total of 5 last week. Of those who died from flu-related deaths, all 12 were over the age of 50 with 9 of those who died over the age of 65.
    The number of flu deaths continues to climb in Georgia as the flu outbreak remains widespread here and across the country.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Week 03 (January 14 ? January 20, 2018) Synopsis
      GEORGIA
      DEPARTMENT OF
      PUBLIC HEALTH
      MMWR Week 03 Updated 1/26/2018
      Georgia Weekly
      Influenza Report
      During week 03 there was HIGH influenza-like illness intensity with
      WIDESPREAD occurrences throughout Georgia.
       Outpatient Illness Surveillance (ILINet): The proportion of outpatient
      visits for ILI was 12.4%, which is above the regional baseline of 1.9%.
       Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in
      Georgia was WIDESPREAD during week 03.
       Metro Area Hospitalizations: There were 115 hospitalizations due to influenza
      infection during week 03. There have been 671 hospitalizations due to
      influenza so far this season.
       Influenza Related Deaths: As of week 03, there have been 25 confirmed
      influenza-associated deaths for the 2017-2018 season.
       Viral Surveillance: Of the 1,408 specimens tested by Georgia clinical laboratories
      reporting to the National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance
      System (NREVSS) during week 03, and 501 (35.6%) were positive for influenza.
      Public Health Laboratories tested 10 specimens during week 03, 2 specimens
      were positive for influenza.
       Reported Influenza Outbreaks: There have been 55 influenza outbreaks
      reported to DPH so far this season.
       RSV Viral Surveillance: Of the 402 specimens tested and reported by the
      Georgia Public Health Laboratory (GPHL) and the National Respiratory and
      Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories during
      week 03, the percent positive of ALL laboratory tests was 14.7%.

Comment

Local girl may be first child flu death
        By REBECCA LEFTWICH|Jan. 30, 2018 - 11:43 PM
        A 15-year-old Coweta County girl who died Tuesday morning in Atlanta may be Georgia?s first flu-related child death this season.
        The teenager died Tuesday morning of liver failure from Influenza A at Children?s Healthcare of Atlanta, according to Coweta County Coroner Richard Hawk. Hawk said the girl?s death was the first flu-related fatality at Children?s this season.

Comment

Coweta County coroner: 15-year-old dies of flu
          By Shelia Poole - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 1

Posted: 6:05 p.m. Tuesday, January 30, 2018

A 15-year-old Coweta County teen has died of the flu, according the the local coroner.
          A county official didn?t identify the teen, but confirmed her death to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Richard Hawk, Coweta County coroner, said the girl died Tuesday morning at an Atlanta hospital. It?s not clear how long she had been ill with the flu. He said there did not appear to be underlying health issues
          A 15-year-old Coweta County teen has died of the flu, making this perhaps the youngest death so far in Georgia.A county official didn’t identify the teen, but confirmed her death to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Comment

Officials: 37 flu-related deaths confirmed across Georgia

ATLANTA ? Georgia health officials say the number of flu-related deaths statewide has risen to 37.

Dr. J. Patrick O?Neal, commissioner of the Georgia Department of Public Health, told a news conference Wednesday the death toll could ?grow considerably? before the current flu season ends. He encouraged Georgia residents to get flu shots if they haven?t done so already.

All U.S. states except for Hawaii reported widespread flu in January, with doctor visits for flu-like symptoms hitting their highest level nationwide since the 2009 swine flu pandemic.

Dr. Cherie Drenzek, Georgia?s state epidemiologist, says 25 of the state?s flu deaths were people age 65 and older. Only one child has died, and that person was an adolescent.

ATLANTA ? Georgia health officials say the number of flu-related deaths statewide has risen to 37.
            "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

5-year-old Marietta boy dies from complications of the flu
              By: Chris Jose

Updated: Jan 31, 2018 - 6:27 PM

256 Facebook
              COBB COUNTY, Ga. - A 5-year-old Marietta boy who died from complications of the flu was remembered on Wednesday morning.

Eli Snook died on Saturday at a hospital. His parents first took him to the emergency room on Jan. 13 with flu-like symptoms.
              Eli Snook died on Saturday at a hospital. His parents first took him to the emergency room on Jan. 13 with flu-like symptoms. 

Comment

Georgia flu deaths double from a week ago

During the fourth week of the year which runs Jan. 21 through Jan. 27., there were 120 hospitalizations in metro Atlanta due to influenza, up from 115 hospitalizations during the previous week.

There has also been a total of 51 confirmed influenza-related deaths in Georgia this flu season, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. That is up from a total of 25 last week. The 51 people who died includes the following: one child; 7 people between the ages of 18 and 51; 7 people between the ages of 51 and 64 and 36 people over the age of 65...

The flu season is getting worse in Georgia and most the country.
                "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Week 05 (January 28 ? February 3, 2018) Synopsis
                  GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
                  MMWR Week 05 Updated 2/9/2018
                  Georgia Weekly Influenza Report
                  During week 05 there was HIGH influenza-like illness intensity with
                  visits for ILI was 15.8%, which is above the regional baseline of 1.9%.
                  Georgia was WIDESPREAD during week 05.
                   Metro Area Hospitalizations: There were 120 hospitalizations due to influenza
                  infection during week 04. There have been 1,027 hospitalizations due
                  to influenza so far this season. Week 05 data will be available next week.
                  Influenza Related Deaths: As of week 05, there have been 66 confirmed
                  influenza-associated deaths (2 pediatric) for the 2017-2018 season.

 Viral Surveillance: Of the 2,310 specimens tested by Georgia clinical laboratories
                  System (NREVSS) during week 05, 1,179 (51.1%) were positive for influenza.
                  Public Health Laboratories tested 8 specimens during week 05, 7 specimens
                   Reported Influenza Outbreaks: There have been 112 influenza outbreaks
                   RSV Viral Surveillance: Of the 524 specimens tested and reported by the
                  week 05, the percent positive of ALL laboratory tests was 11.3%.

Comment

Officials: 15-year-old student at Cross Keys High School dies from flu
                    This most recent death would be at least the third pediatric death this flu season.
                    Author: Adrianne Haney
                    Published: 4:27 PM EST February 12, 2018
                    DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. ? Officials have confirmed a 15-year-old student at Cross Keys High School has died as a result of flu complications.

According to DeKalb County school officials, the teen, who hasn't been identified yet, was a student at Cross Keys High School.

Comment

Week 06 (February 4 ? February 10, 2018) Synopsis

During week 06 there was HIGH influenza-like illness intensity with
                      visits for ILI was 15.2%, which is above the regional baseline of 1.9%.
                      Georgia was WIDESPREAD during week 06.
                       Metro Area Hospitalizations: There were 165 hospitalizations due to influenza
                      infection during week 06. There have been 1,801 hospitalizations due
                      to influenza so far this season.
                      Influenza Related Deaths: As of week 06, there have been 79 confirmed
                      influenza-associated deaths (3 pediatric) for the 2017-2018 season.

 Viral Surveillance: Of the 2,240 specimens tested by Georgia clinical laboratories
                      System (NREVSS) during week 06, 787 (35.1%) were positive for influenza.
                      Public Health Laboratories tested 50 specimens during week 06, 14 specimens
                       Reported Influenza Outbreaks: There have been 131 influenza outbreaks
                       RSV Viral Surveillance: Of the 585 specimens tested and reported by the
                      week 06, the percent positive of ALL laboratory tests was 7.35%

Comment

Week 07 (February 11 ? February 17, 2018) Synopsis

During week 07 there was HIGH influenza-like illness intensity with
                        ? Outpatient Illness Surveillance (ILINet): The proportion of outpatient
                        visits for ILI was 11.9%, which is above the regional baseline of 1.9%.
                        ? Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in
                        Georgia was WIDESPREAD during week 07.
                        ? Metro Area Hospitalizations: There were 91 hospitalizations due to influenza
                        infection during week 07. There have been 2,0341 hospitalizations due to
                        ? Influenza Related Deaths: As of week 07, there have been 98 confirmed
                        influenza-associated deaths (4 pediatric) for the 2017-2018 season.

? Viral Surveillance: Of the 1,341 specimens tested by Georgia clinical laboratories
                        System (NREVSS) during week 07, 470 (35.1%) were positive for influenza.
                        There is a delay in Public Health Laboratories tested for week 07.
                        ? Reported Influenza Outbreaks: There have been 155 influenza outbreaks
                        ? RSV Viral Surveillance: Of the 440 specimens tested and reported by the
                        week 07, the percent positive of ALL laboratory tests was 6.82%.

Comment

Georgia?s flu epidemic showing signs of slowing down

Helena Oliviero
                          7:01 p.m Friday, March 2, 2018 AJC Homepage
                          Facebook Twitter Share 0
                          AJC HOMEPAGE

Flu activity remains widespread, but there are signs this severe flu season is finally slowing down in Georgia and across the country.

As of the week ending Feb. 24, the Georgia Department of Public Health said 6.5 percent of patient visits to doctors were for the flu, down from 11.9 percent of patient visits the week before.
                          Georgia?s death toll from flu this season now stands at 118, a figure which includes four children, according to the latest report.

Flu activity remains widespread, but there are signs this severe flu season is finally slowing down in Georgia and across the country.

Comment

Georgia Weekly
                            Influenza Report
                            Week 09 (February 25 ? March 3, 2018) Synopsis

MMWR Week 09 Updated 3/9/2018

During week 09 there was HIGH influenza-like illness intensity with
                            ? Outpatient Illness Surveillance (ILINet): The proportion of outpatient
                            visits for ILI was 4.2%, which is above the regional baseline of 1.9%.
                            ? Geographic Spread of Influenza: The geographic spread of influenza in
                            Georgia was WIDESPREAD during week 09.
                            ? Metro Area Hospitalizations: There were 9 hospitalizations due to influenza
                            infection during week 09. There have been 2,512 hospitalizations due to
                            ? Influenza Related Deaths: As of week 09, there have been 127 confirmed

? Viral Surveillance: Of the 893 specimens tested by Georgia clinical laboratories
                            System (NREVSS) during week 09, 102 (11.4%) were positive for influenza.
                            Public Health Laboratories tested 31 specimens, 2 were positive for influenza.
                            ? Reported Influenza Outbreaks: There have been 158 influenza outbreaks
                            ? RSV Viral Surveillance: Of the 330 specimens tested and reported by the
                            week 09, the percent positive of ALL laboratory tests was 6.67%.

Comment

Georgia Weekly
                              Influenza Report
                              During week 11 there was MODERATE influenza-like illness intensity
                              with REGIONAL occurrences throughout Georgia.
                              visits for ILI was 3.5%, which is above the regional baseline of 1.9%.
                              Georgia was REGIONAL during week 11.
                               Metro Area Hospitalizations: There were 14 hospitalizations due to influenza
                              infection during week 11. There have been 2,723 hospitalizations due to
                              Influenza Related Deaths: As of week 11, there have been 137 confirmed

 Viral Surveillance: Of the 483 specimens tested by Georgia clinical laboratories
                              System (NREVSS) during week 11, 63 (13%) were positive for influenza. Public
                              Health Laboratories tested 11 specimens during week 11, 0 specimens was
                              positive for influenza.
                               Reported Influenza Outbreaks: There have been 159 influenza outbreaks
                               RSV Viral Surveillance: Of the 291 specimens tested and reported by the
                              week 11, the percent positive of ALL laboratory tests was 8%.

Comment

Working...
                              X