• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Influenza 2017-18; 14+ fatalities, including 8 children

VIDEO: Former Florida news editor dies of flu at 58
    By Peter Bernard
    Published: January 15, 2018, 9:37 pm

(WFLA) ? The potentially deadly flu bug is making people very sick across the U.S. and here in Florida.

One its latest victims was a member of the WFLA family, who died over the weekend.
    http://kron4.com/2018/01/15/video-fo...-of-flu-at-58/
    Last edited by JimO; February 1, 2018, 01:37 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Flu outbreak sees spike, kills Fort Myers native
    Posted: Jan 16, 2018 7:36 PM EST
    Updated: Jan 16, 2018 11:13 PM EST
    By Julianne Dell, ReporterCONNECT

Flu outbreak sees spike, kills Fort Myers man

The flu epidemic has continued to spread in Southwest Florida.

Lee Health reported that more than 400 people tested positive for the virus this past week, while between 100-150 tested positive at this time last year.

Over the weekend, a man who graduated from Riverdale High School in Fort Myers died because of the flu in Orlando.
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/37279925/...t-myers-native

2 pediatric fatalities have also been confirmed. - Ro
    Last edited by JimO; January 18, 2018, 10:33 AM.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Orlando man loses life to flu complications

ORLANDO, Fla. — A local father went to the hospital with a headache and he never walked back out.
      The flu has turned deadly this season.

Local medical facilities are seeing hundreds of patients every week.

Joe Morrison, the Orlando father of three, lost his life to the flu over the weekend.

"I cannot imagine what life is like without this guy, but how do you think his wife feels? I feel for her," said Steve Overton, Morrison's friend.

Overton said Morrison's oldest daughter took him to Florida Hospital Thursday morning.

He was complaining of a bad headache.

He said Morrison had a stroke and by Saturday, he was dead.
      A local father went to the hospital with a headache and he never walked back out. Gail Paschall-Brown reports.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Note: This article indicates that there have been two fatalities in Brevard County, which do not match the three adult deaths listed in the above media reports.

Flu cases increasing across Florida, Space Coast, most of Treasure Coast

Sixty-one of Florida's 67 counties Thursday reported cases of the flu are rising in their area, falling in line with a national spike in reported cases this year

Brevard, Martin and Indian River counties are included in the climbing trend, all reporting a continued increase in flu cases this week compared to last week, according to a Thursday Florida Department of Health report

St. Lucie County officials said flu activity hit a plateau.

-snip-

Two outbreaks of influenza were reported at long-term care facilities ? typically nursing homes ? in Brevard, where at least two elderly people died following complications with the flu, according to county Department of Health epidemiologist Barry Inman.

In Florida counties, nursing homes continue to report the highest number of outbreaks.
        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Boy, 12, dies after two-day bout with flu
          By Joshua Rhett Miller January 24, 2018 | 3:36pm | Updated

A 12-year-old boy who was previously healthy died after a brief bout with the flu, according to his family.

Dylan Christopher Winnik, of West Palm Beach, Fla., was sick with what his family thought was a cold for about two days. But the seventh-grader at Okeeheelee Middle School was already dead when Palm Beach County deputies responded to his father?s home Tuesday afternoon, the Palm Beach Post reports.

Dylan, who did not get a flu shot this year, didn?t appear to have serious symptoms, according to Mike Medwin, his mother?s partner.
          A 12-year-old boy who was previously healthy died after a brief bout with the flu, according to his family. Dylan Christopher Winnik, of West Palm Beach, Fla., was sick with what his family thought…

Comment

Report confirms child dies from flu last week in Florida

According to the report released by the Florida Department of Health in Bay County Thursday, one child died from the flu last week.

The report released covers flu activity for week three, January 14-20, 2018. According to the report, the child who died from the flu was unvaccinated and had underlying health conditions. This is the third child in Florida to die from the flu during the 2017-2018 flu season. The report says all three of the children were unvaccinated.

The report says the deaths due to the flu are increasing but have remained within normal limits. Increases in flu deaths are expected in the coming weeks.

According to a state report, a child died from flu-associated sickness last week.

Comment

Medical Examiners Investigating Multiple Deaths Suspected to be Flu-Related
              By: Alex Thorson
              Posted: Jan 29, 2018 07:38 PM EST

Updated: Jan 29, 2018 07:38 PM EST

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - Chances are, you or someone you know has gotten the flu this season.
              The panhandle's District 14 Medical Examiner Office told News 13 that's why they're investigating about eight possible flu-related deaths in our area.

Comment

Weekly Flu Report: Two more children die from flu complications

BAY COUNTY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - According to the weekly Florida Flu Review for January 21-27, two more children have died from complications from the flu. This brings the total number of confirmed children flu deaths up to five in Florida.

According to the report, the two children who died during week four were both unvaccinated children with no known underlying health issues. The report also says all five children who have died in Florida were unvaccinated...

Two more children have reportedly died from the flu in Florida.

Comment

Longtime Port Orange Police Department employee dies of flu
                  185 Shares
                  WESH Updated: 10:56 AM EST Feb 14, 2018
                  by National Desk US

PORT ORANGE, Fla. ?
                  A longtime employee of the Port Orange Police Department has died from complications related to the flu.

Lisa M. Ferrara-Daly died on Tuesday, according to a post on the Port Orange Police Department?s Facebook page.

Comment

Total flu-related child deaths in 2018 now at 7, Health Department says
                    Posted: Apr 05, 2018 11:42 AM
                    Updated: Apr 05, 2018 11:55 AM EDT
                    By Zack Wilson, Digital producerCONNECT

FORT MYERS, Fla. -
                    One new child death related to the flu has been confirmed in the past week according to the Health Department, bringing the total number of flu-related child deaths in 2018 to seven.

Activity levels for influenza have continued to decrease, and deaths related to both pneumonia and the flu were actually below expectations.

Comment

Flu-related child death total now at 8 for 2017-2018
                      Posted: Apr 13, 2018 10:36 AM
                      Updated: Apr 13, 2018 11:09 AM EDT
                      By Zack Wilson, Digital producerCONNECT

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA -
                      One child has died as a result of flu-related causes in the past week, bringing the total number of child deaths related to flu up to eight for the 2017-2018 flu season, the Health Department confirms.

Comment

Working...
                      X