No announcement yet.

FL: Local health officials report spike in flu-related hospitalizations, deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL: Local health officials report spike in flu-related hospitalizations, deaths

Local health officials report spike in flu-related hospitalizations, deaths

GAINESVILLE, Fla. ? The number of severe flu cases in North Central Florida has escalated in recent months, and UF Health Shands Hospital has had a striking increase in influenza-related hospitalizations, with more than 150 admissions and a dozen deaths since late October, UF Health and county public health officials reported today.

The trend mirrors patterns the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is just now noting in multiple cities across the country.

Of particular concern is the number of younger patients susceptible to this strain of the flu, a variant of H1N1, which first surfaced in 2009, officials said.

Nine of the patients who fell ill were then transferred to UF Health Shands Hospital from neighboring counties in North Florida; three were from Alachua County. Although the vast majority of people who get the flu recover, 11 of the patients had not been vaccinated. Five of them were under the age of 40, raising concerns that this year?s influenza strain is especially virulent for younger populations.

more...

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X