• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First antiviral-resistant flu case found in Delaware

WGMD.COM
    Mar 9, 2011 posted by: Mari Lou-WGMD News
    .First antiviral-resistant flu case found in Delaware
    A child in Kent County has been diagnosed with an anti-viral-resistant influenza ? the first in Delaware that has been found to be resistant to Tamiflu. State Health officials say the child tested positive for influenza A-H1N1 last month and was found to be Tamiflu resistant last week. Officials say less than one percent of flu cases are confirmed anti-viral resistant.

??????????

NEWS RELEASE: ANTI-VIRAL RESISTANT FLU CASE IDENTIFIED

Delaware?s Division of Public Health (DPH) is following up on an antiviral-resistant influenza case identified March 2 in a child from Kent County. The child was not hospitalized and has fully recovered. This is Delaware?s first known case of influenza resistant to oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu) treatment for the 2010-2011 flu season.

The case under investigation tested positive for influenza A / H1N1 in mid-February. The specimen ? part of a random sample submitted for routine anti-viral resistance testing ? was reported as oseltamivir-resistant the first week of March. Oseltamivir is the preferred treatment for confirmed cases of influenza. Resistance to oseltamivir is very rare, occurring in just 0.5 percent of cases studied during the 2009-2010 flu season. There is no reason to change treatment approaches at this time.

As always, DPH recommends the following precautions for both the public and clinicians:
    ? Get vaccinated against the flu.
    ? Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
    ? Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue, or cough/sneeze into your inner elbow and not into your hands.
    ? If you are sick, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever goes away. This means no fever for at least 24 hours after you have stopped taking any fever-reducing medication. Employers are encouraged to be flexible with their employees on the issue of staying home when ill.
    Stay informed about the latest developments on the flu by visiting www.flu.delaware.gov
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: First antiviral-resistant flu case found in Delaware

That's not good news. I hope they do further analysis and release sequences.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Working...
    X