• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut Influenza 2017-18; 146 fatalities

Connecticut among states hit hard by deadly flu outbreak

Eyewitness News
    Updated 36 mins ago
    NORWALK, Connecticut (WABC) -- The flu season is in full swing and this year is proving to be especially dangerous and deadly.

At least 46 states are seeing widespread flu activity, and there have been five deaths so far in Connecticut.
    http://abc7ny.com/health/connecticut...break/2919946/
    Last edited by JimO; January 12, 2018, 02:44 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Spike In Severe Flu Cases Brings Hospital Bed Shortage, 15 Fatalities
    With peak flu season still a month off, the state is already seeing a steep increase in flu-related deaths and hospitalizations, particularly among people 65 years and up, according to the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
    As of Jan. 6, 15 people had died of influenza-related illness and 456 patients had been hospitalized this year, causing a shortage of beds at acute care facilities across the state, according to the department.
    Fifteen Connecticut residents have died and 456 have been hospitalized during the flu season this year, a steep increase over previous years, according to the Department for Public Health.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Through Week 2, Connecticut reports 21 flu-related deaths, including one pediatric death. It's not clear if the pediatric death is the 10-year-old boy identified in media reports. Click image for larger version

Name:	Connecticut Week 2.PNG
Views:	199
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	788691
      Last edited by JimO; January 25, 2018, 04:12 PM.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Connecticut reports 32 flu-related deaths, including 1 child, through Week 3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct Week 3.PNG
Views:	193
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	789122

Comment

Officials report 52 flu-related deaths in Connecticut
          Matt Dillane, WTNH
          Published: February 1, 2018, 5:21 pm

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) ? The fatal flu season continues to impact Connecticut.

On Thursday, the Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) reported that 52 deaths have been attributed to the flu so far this season.
          The Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) reported that 52 deaths have been attributed to the flu so far this season.
          The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Connecticut officials report 63 flu deaths since August

By - Associated Press - Thursday, February 8, 2018
            HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Public health officials have added another 11 deaths to the tally of flu fatalities in Connecticut.

The Department of Public Health says 63 people have succumbed to the flu since Auguest and 52 of the fatalities were among patients over age 65.

Comment

14 New Flu Deaths Marks Deadliest Season In Five Years

Nicholas Rondinone
              nrondinone@courant.com
              The state Department of Public Health has reported another 14 flu deaths this season, bring the total to 77 since it started? the highest number of fatalities in five years.

?Sadly, 14 more influenza-associated deaths were reported to us last week,? said DPH Commissioner Dr. Pino in a statement. ?Because we are still experiencing widespread influenza actively, it is likely that we will continue to see additional flu-related deaths in the coming weeks.?
              The state Department of Public Health has reported another 14 flu deaths this season, bringing the total to 77 — the highest number of fatalities in five years. “Sadly, 14 more influenz…

Comment

Norwalk 6-year-old dies of flu-related illness
                By Jennifer Turiano Updated 4:50 pm, Sunday, February 18, 2018

Source: Connecticut Department of Health

NORWALK ? A Columbus Magnet School first grader died of flu complications Saturday night, likely making her the second child in the state to die of flu-related illness this season.

Emma Splan, 6, had joined Columbus last year as a kindergartner, said school principal Medard Thomas in a letter to parents and students on Sunday.

Comment

Flu Deaths Near 100 As State's Deadliest Season In Five Years Continues

Nicholas Rondinone Nicholas RondinoneContact Reporter
                  nrondinone@courant.com
                  State officials sent a dire warning Thursday to get the flu shot as another 20 people have died from the virus in the state?s deadliest season in years.

?With 97 total deaths so far this season, I cannot stress enough that if you have not received a flu shot yet, for your own health and to protect the health of those around you, please get a flu shot. It is still not too late,? Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Raul Pino said in a statement.

Among those who have died are two children, the latest a 6-year-old from Norwalk last weekend, according to officials.
                  State officials sent a dire warning Thursday to get the flu shot as another 20 people have died from the virus in the state’s deadliest season in years. “With 97 total deaths so far thi…

Comment

Another CT Child Dies After Suffering From Flu
                    This is the third case this year in Connecticut where a child has died from complications from the flu.
                    By Brian McCready, Patch National Staff | Feb 25, 2018 1:11 pm ET

Another CT Child Dies After Suffering From Flu
                    COLCHESTER, CT ? The flu has led to the death of nearly 100 Connecticut residents this season and a third child has now died as a result of complications from the flu. DeMarcus White, 6, of Colchester, died Wednesday from the flu, NBC Connecticut reports.

Last week, state Department of Public Health officials said 20 more people died from the flu in the past week, including a Norwalk child. As of Feb. 17, 97 Connecticut residents had died from the flu.
                    This is the third case this year in Connecticut where a child has died from complications from the flu.

Comment

State official say more 8 deaths now linked to the flu
                      POSTED 3:29 PM, MARCH 1, 2018, BY DOUG STEWART, UPDATED AT 05:15PM, MARCH 1, 2018

HARTFORD ? Eight people died of the flu last week in Connecticut according to the Department of Public Health, but flu activity seems to have peaked.
                      Since late August, 105 deaths have been attributed to the flu (80 associated with influenza A, 25 with influenza B). DPH said, ?Of these deaths, 85 were among patients over the age of 65, 11 were 50-64 years of age, 5 were 25-49 years of age, 1 was between 19-24 years of age, and 3 were aged < 18 years.?

Comment

Health officials: Number of flu deaths has climbed to 112
                        Updated 8:13 pm, Thursday, March 8, 2018

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ? State health officials say the number of flu deaths has climbed to 112.

WFSB-TV reports that the Department of Public Health reported that the number of deaths increased by seven within the past week.

Comment

State Officials Say Peak Flu Season Has Passed

Nicholas Rondinone Nicholas RondinoneContact Reporter
                          nrondinone@courant.com
                          State officials say the peak of the flu season has passed and that key indicators, like hospital visits, are on the decline.

?Connecticut has passed the peak of the flu season and our numbers are trending in the right direction,? said Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Raul Pino. ?We still have a few more weeks of flu activity to get through, and people should continue to take precautions to avoid contracting or spreading the flu, but the worst of the season appears to be behind us.?

In the latest weekly surveillance report ? released Thursday ? that includes data through March 10, state officials say seven more people have died of the flu, bringing the season?s total 119.
                          State officials say the peak of the flu season has passed and that key indicators, like hospital visits, are on the decline. “Connecticut has passed the peak of the flu season and our numbers…

Comment

CDC warns a second wave of flu is happening now

By Kels Dayton, WTNH.com Staff
                            Published: March 24, 2018, 11:33 am Updated: March 24, 2018, 11:37 am

(WTNH)?Flu season is winding down, but the Centers for Disease Control are warning about a second wave of Flu Virus B, which is happening right now.

The number of flu-related deaths in Connecticut is now up to 127, and eight more have been reported in the past week.
                            Flu season is winding down, but the Centers for Disease Control are warning about a second wave of Flu Virus B, which is happening right now.

Comment

2017-2018 Influenza Season, Update for Week 12*
                              (Week ending Saturday, 03/24/2018)
                              Key Points
                               Although national influenza activity has been past peak for six weeks, it remains at moderate levels and is geographically widespread within several regions of the continental United States including the Northeast. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently reported a decreased percentage (2.7%) of people seeing their health care provider with influenza-like-illness (ILI), which continues to decline from the high percentage (7.7 %) observed during the peak weeks of the current 2017-2018 flu season.
                               In Connecticut, influenza activity is also past peak but we continue to observe an elevated percentage of patients presenting to hospital emergency departments and outpatient providers with ILI, along with elevated numbers of flu-associated hospitalizations and deaths.
                               Classification of Connecticut geographic activity also remains at widespread**.
                               Although influenza A (H3N2) viruses have been predominate within the US and Connecticut for most of the 2017-2018 season, numbers of influenza B viruses are beginning to circulate in equal numbers with influenza A viruses.
                               As elevated flu activity will likely continue through the end of April in Connecticut, there is still time to obtain your flu vaccine and take other important steps to prevent influenza-related illness and hospitalization: http://www.portal.ct.gov/DPH/Infecti...onal-Influenza
                               A total of 2,754 hospitalized patients with laboratory-confirmed influenza admitted between August 27 and March 24, 2018 have been reported to date. Of these 2,754 reports, 1,548 were Type A (subtype unspecified), 521 were Type A (H3N2), 32 were Type A (2009 H1N1), 647 were influenza B virus, and 6 of unknown type. A total of 131 influenza-associated deaths (93 associated with flu A, 37 with flu B, 1 of unknown type). Of these deaths, 110 were among patients greater than 65 years of age, 12 were 50-64 years of age, 5 were 25-49 years of age, 1 was between 19-24 years of age, and 3 were <18 years of age. The current season total of 131 deaths is above the range of influenza-associated deaths (1-65) reported during the previous five seasons (Figures 4 & 5).

Comment

Working...
                              X