Colorado Influenza 2017-18; 4 fatalities, including 2 children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Influenza 2017-18; 4 fatalities, including 2 children

First flu death reported in Grand County as current flu season is ?one of the worst?
    Sawyer D'Argonne
    January 10, 2018

A particularly insidious flu strain has claimed its first victim in Grand County after a 72-year-old female resident of Granby passed away Monday from complications stemming from Influenza A, the Grand County Public Health Department confirmed on Wednesday.
    https://www.skyhinews.com/news/first...-of-the-worst/
    Last edited by JimO; January 22, 2018, 12:55 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Highlands Ranch mother urges people to get flu shot after losing daughter

HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. ? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning people to get an influenza shot after a bad start to the flu season.

In a telephone press conference on Wednesday, experts said the H3N2 strain is the most commonly reported strain this flu season both in Colorado and across the country.

This flu season started earlier than normal and has been more severe than previous years. There have been more than 2,000 hospitalizations in Colorado this season alone, which is more than double the norm. Many of the patients are elderly.

There have also been 95 reported outbreaks in Colorado, which is four times higher than the average. An outbreak is defined as multiple flu cases reported in nursing homes or assisted living facilities.

One baby also died from the flu last week. Dr. Larry Wolk from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment says that child was old enough to get the flu shot but had not been immunized.

It?s a tragedy Vira Cover knows all too well. Her toddler, Elizabeth, died in 2003 after contracting influenza. Elizabeth would have turned 16 on January 4. Instead, she?s a memory on her mother?s mantle.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning people to get an influenza shot after a bad start to the flu season.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the same child reported in the second post.

Child dies from flu in El Paso County

EL PASO COUNTY (KKTV) - The deadly flu season continues, claiming the life of a child in El Paso County. The recent death marks the first flu-related death for a child in Colorado this season.

Director of Communications for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Mark Salley could not confirm specifics, including the age of the child who died but stated they consider a child anyone under the age of 18 years old. He confirmed the child was old enough to be vaccinated but was not.
      The deadly flu season continues, claiming the life of a child in El Paso County. The recent death marks the first flu-related death for a child in Colorado this season.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Larimer County investigating possible flu death

Child would be second person in Colorado to succumb to illness

By Pamela Johnson

Larimer County officials are investigating what might be the county's first flu death of the season, which would be the second in Colorado.

Public health officials track influenza deaths only for those 18 and younger, and Katie O'Donnell, spokeswoman for the Larimer County Health Department, said her agency was alerted Friday of a possible pediatric flu death.

The child, whose age and hometown have not been released, tested positive for the flu, but the Larimer County Coroner's Office is waiting for results on other tests to confirm that the virus caused the death.

Larimer County officials are investigating what might be the county's first flu death of the season, which would be the second in Colorado.

Comment

Colorado influenza season has peaked; state on course for record hospitalizations
          Peak numbers were last week of December, season not over yet

By KIERAN NICHOLSON | knicholson@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
          PUBLISHED: February 15, 2018 at 6:00 am | UPDATED: February 15, 2018 at 3:56 pm

The influenza season in Colorado likely has peaked. But there?s still plenty of flu going around, and the state is on a record-setting pace.

Through Sunday, Feb. 10, the total number of Coloradans hospitalized with influenza this 2017-18 season is 3,306, according to the state Department of Public Health and Environment. The state record for influenza hospitalizations came in the 2014-15 season, with 3,397.

The death of one child, associated with influenza A, has been reported this season with an onset of illness during the the week ending Dec. 30.

Flu generally kills a few dozen people in Colorado each year. In 2016, the most recent year for which numbers are available, 54 people died of influenza, according to state data.
          The influenza season in Colorado has likely peaked, however, there’s still plenty of flu going around and the state is on a record-setting pace.
          The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Flu Season Sets 2 Records For Colorado ? CBS Denver
            February 21, 2018 / by Author KeepHealth

DENVER (CBS4) ? It?s official ? this flu season is a record for Colorado.

As of last week, influenza has sent 3,550 people to the hospital in the state. That?s the highest number of flu hospitalizations in a single season for Colorado.

Comment

Tech worker, 26, suddenly dies of flu and altitude sickness 'perfect storm' two days into family ski trip in Colorado
              James Flath, from Missouri, felt sick when he arrived in Colorado on Friday
              He was diagnosed with the flu on Saturday morning and stayed in to recover
              Hours later he was unresponsive and his parents and girlfriend rushed him to the hospital
              He died on Sunday morning of respiratory failure attributed to altitude sickness
              By MIA DE GRAAF HEALTH EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 13:00 EDT, 28 March 2018 | UPDATED: 14:41 EDT, 28 March 2018
              James Flath, of Missouri, was feeling under the weather when he arrived at the resort with his girlfriend, his soon-to-be-married brother, and his parents on Friday. On Sunday, he died.

Comment

Colorado sets new high record for flu hospitalizations

Havens Webster, Reporter
                May 2, 2018

Colorado has had 3,550 flu hospitalizations this season, which is a new high record. The strain of this influenza is very dangerous and affecting many people, and is still ongoing.

The virus, H3N2, has affected many people, especially the children and elderly. Colorado is among the few states in the U.S. that has been hit especially hard by this virus putting many people in the hospital.

? This year there have been 67 flu hospitalizations, and the season isn?t over,? said Penny Hill, an Infection Control/Health Manager employee of the San Juan Regional Medical Center.

The new strain of the flu virus known as Influenza A, H3N2, is affecting many people, but with the vaccination, it can reduce the severity of the disease. It has hospitalized 3,550 people, with one pediatric death.

Comment

Working...
                X