California Influenza 2019-20; 658 fatalities; 16 pediatric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Influenza 2019-20; 658 fatalities; 16 pediatric

State Weekly Flu Report Homepage: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...Influenza.aspx

Santa Clara County Records 2 Flu Deaths, Including Child
    September 24, 2019 at 12:51 pmFiled Under:Flu, Influenza, Medicine, Santa Clara

SANTA CLARA (CBS SF) ? A child and an adult have died in Santa Clara County of influenza, days before the official start of the 2019-2020 flu season on Oct. 1, health officials announced Tuesday.

Officials said the adult who died had other medical conditions that put the individual at increased risk of severe complications from the flu. The child who died was previously healthy and had recently returned from traveling overseas.
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-county-child/
    Last edited by Ronan Kelly; December 22, 2019, 06:36 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

LA County reports first flu death of the season

LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Los Angeles County health officials confirmed Monday the county's first flu-related death of the 2019-20 flu season.

The patient was a middle-aged person with underlying health conditions, according to the county Department of Public Health. During the 2018-19 flu season, there were 125 flu-related deaths in the County.

"This is a sad reminder that the flu can be a serious illness, especially for the elderly, young children and people with weakened immune systems," said Muntu Davis, MD, MPH, Los Angeles County Health Officer. "I would like to remind everyone that even if you're healthy, you can still get seriously sick from the flu and spread the illness to others. Immunization is the best method to protect yourself and reduce the likelihood of spreading the flu to others in your community."
    Los Angeles County health officials confirmed Monday the county's first flu-related death of the 2019-20 flu season.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Third Flu Death Of Season Confirmed In San Diego County
      An 80-year-old North County man died Nov. 1, according to the County Health and Human Services Agency.
      By Kristina Houck, Patch Staff
      Nov 6, 2019 5:40 pm ET

SAN DIEGO — Health officials have confirmed the third flu-related death of the 2019-20 flu season in San Diego County.

An 80-year-old North County man died Nov. 1, according to the County Health and Human Services Agency. The man, whose name was withheld, had been vaccinated and had underlying medical conditions.
      An 80-year-old North County man died Nov. 1, according to the County Health and Human Services Agency.

Comment

Placer County reports first flu-related death of season
        ByPlacer County -November 7, 2019, 01:50:26 PM

AUBURN, Calif. November 7, 2019 – A 75-year-old Placer County resident recently died from complications of influenza, marking the first flu-related death of the 2019-2020 season. The person who died had underlying health issues, which increases the risk of severe flu complications.
        AUBURN, Calif. November 7, 2019 – A 75-year-old Placer County resident recently died from complications of influenza, marking the first flu-related death of the 2019-2020 season. The person who died had underlying health issues, which increases the risk of severe flu complications. There were nine flu-related deaths in the 2018-2019 season in Placer County. The […]

Comment

Flu death reported in Santa Barbara County

SANTA BARBARA COUNTY, Calif. - The first flu death of the season has been reported in Santa Barbara County.

According to the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department's flu report released last week, there has been one known flu-related death in the county this flu season. The person who died was over 65 years old. The health department did not say where the person was from.

Comment

Infant is San Bernardino County’s second flu-related death this season
            By SANDRA EMERSON | semerson@scng.com |
            PUBLISHED: December 2, 2019 at 3:40 pm | UPDATED: December 2, 2019 at 3:45 pm
            An infant is San Bernardino County’s first pediatric flu-related death of the 2018-19 flu season, county public health officials said Monday, Dec. 2.

The child, who was not yet 1 year old, died Thursday, Nov. 21, from complications associated with the influenza infection, officials said.

Comment

Two More San Diegans Die from Influenza
              flu vaccine
              By Jos? A. ?lvarez, County of San Diego Communications Office
              Nov. 27, 2019 | 9:45 AM
              Two additional influenza deaths were reported last week, bringing this season’s total to five, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

A 70-year-old woman died from influenza B in July 2019, although the death was just reported last week. A 78-year-old woman died from influenza A and influenza B Nov. 3, 2019. Both women were from North County, had no record of having received a flu shot and had underlying medical conditions.
              Two additional influenza deaths were reported last week, bringing this season’s total to five, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

Comment

County Health Officials Report Flu Season’s Sixth Flu Death
                POSTED BY DEBBIE L. SKLAR ON DECEMBER 4, 2019 IN LIFE | 17 VIEWS | 0 COMMENTS | LEAVE A COMMENT

County health officials announced Wednesday that an East County woman died of influenza complications, bringing this season’s flu- related fatality count to six.

The 59-year-old woman died Nov. 23, according to the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency. There was no indication in her medical record that she had received this season’s flu vaccine, and health officials said she had additional unspecified medical issues.

County health officials received reports of 203 lab-confirmed flu cases during the week of Nov. 24-30 and have received reports of 930 confirmed flu cases since flu season tracking began July 1. At this time last year, 455 flu cases had been confirmed and two people had died due to complications from the virus.
                County health officials announced Wednesday that an East County woman died of influenza complications, bringing this season's flu- related fatality count to six.

Comment

16 Flu-Related Deaths Reported in California as Widespread Influenza Activity Is Seen Across State: CDPH

POSTED 12:24 PM, DECEMBER 6, 2019, BY TRACY BLOOM, UPDATED AT 12:39PM, DECEMBER 6, 2019Flu activity in California is already widespread and has reached levels not normally seen until later in the season, state health officials said Friday.

Sixteen people, including two children, have died of influenza-released causes since the season began Sept. 29, according to the California Department of Public Health.
                  A map shows flu activity in California for the week of Nov. 10 through Nov. 16, which is when DDPH released its last report.
                  A map shows flu activity in California for the week of Nov. 10 through Nov. 16, which is when DDPH released its last report.

The last influenza report issued by the department in mid-November showed elevated activity of flu in every county around the state except for Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Imperial counties.
                  Flu activity in California is already widespread and has reached levels not normally seen until later in the season, state health officials said Friday. Sixteen people, including two children, have…

Comment

2 flu-related deaths reported in Sacramento County

KCRAUpdated: 7:10 PM PST Dec 9, 2019

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
                    Two people have died due to flu-related complications in Sacramento County during the 2019/2020 flu season, health officials said Monday.

A 66-year-old and a 7-year-old passed away due to the deadly virus, the Sacramento County Public Health Department said. The child was the second pediatric death in California for the flu season.
                    Two people have died due to flu-related complications in Sacramento County during the 2019/2020 flu season, health officials said Monday.

Comment

Health officials confirm 7th flu death of the season
                      POSTED 12:40 PM, DECEMBER 11, 2019, BY CITY NEWS SERVICE

SAN DIEGO — County health officials announced Wednesday that this flu season’s death toll has reached seven with the death of an 86-year-old San Diego woman.

The woman died Dec. 1, according to the county’s Health and Human Services Agency. She had received a flu vaccination and had additional medical issues. At this time last flu season, measured from July 1 to June 30 the following year, only five residents had died due to flu complications.

The HHSA received reports of 294 lab-confirmed flu cases during the week of Dec. 1-7 and have received reports of 1,223 confirmed flu cases since flu season tracking began. At this time last year, only 650 flu cases had been confirmed.
                      Another flu death has been confirmed in San Diego County, the 7th reported since the flu season started in July.

Comment

IMPERIAL COUNTY OFFICIALS REPORT FLU-RELATED DEATH - Tuesday Dec. 17, 2019

The Imperial County Public Health Department announced today the first death this flu season from complications due to influenza. The individual, a toddler, was positive for influenza B and passed away this month. It is unknown if the child had been vaccinated. Dr. Stephen Munday, County Health Officer stated, “Our thoughts are with the family that has been affected by the recent death of a child due to influenza. This is a sad reminder of how serious Influenza can be and that anyone can get sick with the flu. It is important to remember that it is not too late to get a flu shot and vaccine continues to be available in the community.” All persons six months of age and older, including health-care personnel, should receive a flu shot now if they have not yet received one this flu season. Flu continues to circulate at higher levels in Imperial County and flu activity is widespread statewide.
                        http://www.icphd.org/news-media/

First Flu-Related Deaths Reported In Marin County
                        December 17, 2019 at 9:13 pmFiled Under:Flu death, Flu season, Influenza, Marin County Health Department, Public Health, Vaccination

SAN RAFAEL (CBS SF) — Marin County public health officials reported the first two flu-related deaths this flu season in a news release on Tuesday.

The death of one person hospitalized in the last week of November was reported Tuesday as well as an additional death in the first week of December.

Marin County public health officials reported the first two flu-related deaths this flu season in a news release on Tuesday.

Comment

Public Health Department Reports 2 Flu-Related Deaths in Marin County
                          At least 24 people in California have died from the flu between Sept. 29 and Dec. 7.
                          By Bay City News • Published at 11:41 am on December 18, 2019

Comment

One Sonoma County flu-related death confirmed as flu season arrives early

JULIE JOHNSON
                            THE PRESS DEMOCRAT December 18, 2019, 8:15PM Updated 4 hours ago

Confirmed influenza-related deaths in California between Sept. 29 and Dec. 7:

Alameda County, 1

Contra Costa County, 2

Humboldt County, 1

Kern County, 1

Los Angeles County, 4

Marin County, 2

Orange County, 3

Placer County, 1

Riverside County, 1

Sacramento County, 3

San Diego County, 3

San Francisco County, 1

San Joaquin County, 1

Santa Barbara County, 1

Sonoma County, 1

Tulare County, 1

Source: California Department of Public Health; Sonoma and Marin counties

The early arrival of flu season has caused its first death in Sonoma County, while 27 people have died from flu-related complications statewide since September, local and state health officials said.

Officials with the county Department of Health Services on Wednesday confirmed one person died here last week from the flu, but provided no information about the person or the specifics of the person’s illness that led to the death.

Comment

Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
                              Weekly Report
                              California Influenza Surveillance Program
                              Highlights (Week 50: December 8, 2019 – December 14, 2019)
                              Statewide Activity: Widespread

 Deaths: 39* since Sept. 29, 2019
                               Outbreaks: 10 since Sept. 29, 2019
                               Laboratory: 21.0% flu positive
                               Outpatient ILI: Above expected levels
                               Hospitalizations: Within expected levels
                              *Influenza-coded deaths from death certificates
                              Click on images and links for more information

Key messages:
                              • Flu activity continues to increase in California.
                              • Flu B viruses are predominating in California,
                              but A (H1)pdm09 are also circulating.
                              • Haven’t gotten a flu shot yet? Get immunized
                              now to protect you and your loved ones this
                              holiday season.
                              • Take action to stop the spread of flu: wash
                              hands often, cover coughs and sneezes, and
                              stay home when sick.

Comment

Working...
                              X