• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second wave of the seasonal flu crashes into Stanislaus County
    BY KEN CARLSON

kcarlson@modbee.com

March 20, 2018 03:43 PM

Updated 9 hours 27 minutes ago

Residents in Stanislaus County should not assume the flu season has passed.

In general, the county Health Services Agency has noticed a decrease in flu activity, but another strain of virus is causing outbreaks and it?s more dangerous for young children.

The county?s contagious disease unit is primarily seeing cases of influenza B, Anuj Bhatia, a county health services spokesman, said Tuesday.
    One of the worst flu seasons in years struck in late fall and has claimed the lives of nine people thus far in Stanislaus County.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

San Diego
      Current Week 11 (ending 3/17/2018)
      ? 684 new influenza detections reported: Elevated level
      ? 4% influenza‐like‐illness (ILI) among emergency department visits: Expected level
      ? 6 new influenza‐related deaths reported this week (tot 308)
      ? 4 new ICU cases reported this week
      ? 7% of deaths registered with pneumonia and/or influenza: Expected level
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Influenza Surveillance Activities as of 3/17/2018
        Santa Barbara County Public Health Department
        The 2017-2018 influenza surveillance season began on 10/1/17 (disease week 40). This report will be
        released every 2 weeks for the remainder of the influenza season due to the decrease of influenza
        activity.
        Summary of recent influenza activity in Santa Barbara County the past week was ?widespread*?.
        Sentinel Data: The six reporting Sentinel Provider Sites reported influenza-like illness (ILI) in 7 of the
        patients seen in week 11 (7/415; 1.7%), (please see the chart 1 below). In the past week, of the Hospital
        Emergency Departments that completed the daily poll, 265 (9.0%) of the 2932 patients seen had ILI and
        40 were admitted. (This trend is higher than that seen in the same time period in 2017 at 6.4% (165/2594)
        of ED visits due to ILI).
        Provider reports: This season there have been 19 confirmed ICU hospitalizations in the reportable age
        range 0-64 years and there have been 16 outbreaks of Upper Respiratory Illness reported in County
        Skilled Nursing & Long Term Care Facilities. There have been a total of 14 known flu-related deaths in the
        County this season. Three decedents were in the mandated reportable age range of 0-64 years and all
        had underlying conditions. The additional 11 decedents were persons over 64 years of age, 9 of which
        have been linked to some of the outbreaks.
        This number may change as death certificates are reviewed.

Comment

SLO flu deaths skyrocket
          Michael CohenMarch 27, 2018Main, News0 CommentsViews : 260

By Lindsay Darbyshire
          News Editor

Sixteen deaths so far have been reported by the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Department in what is being called the worst flu season they have seen.

This means there has been a 40 percent increase in flu-related deaths this year, as compared to the last.
          Of the 16 deaths on the Central Coast, two adults were under the age of 64, while the other 14 were over the age of 65, officials said.

Photo/courtesy of U.S. Air Force graphic by Senior Airman Dustin Mullen/Released By Lindsay Darbyshire News Editor Sixteen deaths so far have been reported by the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Department in what is being called the worst flu season they have seen. This means there has been a 40 percent increase in flu-related […]

Comment

San Diego
            Current Week 12 (ending 3/24/2018)
            ? 399 new influenza detections reported: Elevated level
            ? 3% influenza-like-illness (ILI) among emergency department visits: Expected level
            ? 11 new influenza-related deaths reported this week (tot 319)
            ? 6 new ICU cases reported this week
            ? 7% of deaths registered with pneumonia and/or influenza: Expected level

Contra Costa: 7
            Fresno: 1
            Kern: 1
            Long Beach: 1
            LA: 219
            Marin: 1
            Monterey: 6
            Orange: 12
            Placer: 1
            Riverside: 21
            Sacramento: 3
            San Benito: 2
            San Bernadino: 3
            San Diego: 319
            San Joaquin: 3
            San Luis Obispo: 16
            San Mateo: 4
            Santa Barbara: 14
            Santa Clara: 5
            Santa Cruz: 3
            Shasta: 1
            Stanislaus: 9
            Solano: 7
            Sonoma: 2
            Tulare: 4
            Ventura: 34
            Yolo: 2

Total: 701

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	LA.png
Views:	39
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	792450

Comment

Flu Cases, Deaths Hit Highest Numbers Ever Reported in San Diego County
                POSTED BY TONI MCALLISTER ON APRIL 4, 2018 IN LIFE
                More than 20,000 lab-confirmed flu cases have been reported this season, the highest total since the County of San Deigo Health and Human Services Agency began tracking the virus 20 years ago.

A total of 247 new flu cases were reported last week, bringing this season?s total to 20,131, according to the latest County Influenza Watch report.

The number of weekly cases being reported continues to be elevated for this time of year, officials said.

With another seven influenza-related deaths reported last week, this season?s total now stands at 326. San Diegans who died from flu this season range in age from 1 to 101, and almost all had underlying medical conditions, the county reported.
                More than 20,000 lab-confirmed flu cases have been reported this season, the highest total since the county began tracking the virus 20 years ago.

Comment

Flu-related deaths went up to 334 in San Diego County
                  Posted: Apr 11, 2018 2:59 PM EDT
                  Updated: Apr 11, 2018 3:17 PM EDT

SAN DIEGO (COUNTY NEWS CENTER) - Eight more flu deaths were reported last week and influenza activity in the region remained steady, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

The new reported flu deaths include a 33-year-old San Diego woman, bringing this season?s total 334. Those who died ranged in age from 1 to 101, and almost all had underlying medical conditions. Forty-three (13 percent) of the deaths were of people under 65 years old, which are the only cases public health agencies are required to report in California. The County informs the public about all flu deaths. The high number of deaths is the result of an unusually severe flu season but also due to better reporting and tracking by the local medical community and the County.
                  Eight more flu deaths were reported last week and influenza activity in the region remained steady, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced Wednesday.

Comment

Influenza Surveillance Activities as of 3/31/2018
                    Santa Barbara County Public Health Department
                    The 2017-2018 influenza surveillance season began on 10/1/17 (disease week 40). This report will be
                    released every 2 weeks for the remainder of the influenza season due to the decrease of influenza
                    activity.
                    Summary of recent influenza activity in Santa Barbara County the past week was ?widespread*?.
                    Sentinel Data: The six reporting Sentinel Provider Sites reported influenza-like illness (ILI) in 11 of the
                    patients seen in week 13 (11/421; 2.6%), (please see the chart 1 below). In the past week, of the Hospital
                    Emergency Departments that completed the daily poll, 131 (5.5%) of the 2392 patients seen had ILI and 6
                    were admitted. (This trend is about equal to that which was seen in the same time period in 2017 at 5.2%
                    (147/2818) of ED visits due to ILI).
                    Provider reports: This season there have been 22 confirmed ICU hospitalizations in the reportable age
                    range 0-64 years and there have been 16 outbreaks of Upper Respiratory Illness reported in County
                    Skilled Nursing & Long Term Care Facilities. There have been a total of 15 known flu-related deaths in the
                    County this season.
                    Three decedents were in the mandated reportable age range of 0-64 years and all
                    had underlying conditions. The additional 12 decedents were persons over 64 years of age, 9 of which
                    have been linked to some of the outbreaks. This number may change as death certificates are reviewed.

Comment

• Six New Flu Deaths Reported, Activity Decreasing in San Diego
                      flu vaccine
                      By Jos? A. ?lvarez, County of San Diego Communications Office
                      Apr. 18, 2018 | 11:04 AM
                      While influenza activity continued to decrease in San Diego, another six flu deaths were reported last week, bringing this season?s total to 339, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

The ages of San Diegans who died from influenza this season ranged from 1 to 101, and almost all had underlying medical conditions. Forty-two (12 percent) of the deaths were of people under 65 years old, which are the only cases public health agencies are required to report in California. The County informs the public about all flu deaths. The high number of deaths is the result of an unusually severe flu season, but also due to better reporting and tracking by the local medical community and the County.
                      While influenza activity continued to decrease in San Diego, another six flu deaths were reported last week, bringing this season’s total to 339, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

Comment

• San Diego Flu Deaths Reach 341; Activity Continues to Slow
                        vaccine-vial-syringe
                        By Jos? A. ?lvarez, County of San Diego Communications Office
                        Apr. 25, 2018 | 12:22 PM
                        The number of influenza deaths in San Diego rose to 341 after two new deaths were reported last week, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

The ages of San Diegans who died from influenza this season range from 1 to 101, and almost all had underlying medical conditions. Forty-four (13 percent) of the deaths were of people under 65 years old, which are the only cases public health agencies are required to report in California. The County informs the public about all flu deaths. The high number of deaths is the result of an unusually severe flu season, but also due to better reporting and tracking by the local medical community and the County.
                        The number of influenza deaths in San Diego rose to 341 after two new deaths were reported last week, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced today.

Comment

Working...
                        X