X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Influenza 2017-18: 733 fatalities

First flu death of the season reported

Paul Sisson

While much attention has been paid in recent weeks to San Diego?s hepatitis A outbreak, a reminder arrived Friday that a much more infectious and deadly threat is on the horizon.

The region tallied its first flu death Friday, according to the county Health and Human Services Agency. An 86-year-old man from San Diego, who had underlying medical complications, died after testing positive for an influenza infection. He had not been vaccinated.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...006-story.html
    Last edited by JimO; February 6, 2018, 11:45 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Third Flu Related Death Reported This Season: HHSA

By Kevin Pichinte

Three ways La Jolla UTC delivers on what employees really want
    A third San Diegan has died from flu complications in a flu season moving at a faster pace than previous years, the County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) announced Wednesday.
    The 85-year-old woman, who had pre-existing medical conditions, died Nov. 4; she tested positive for influenza A.
    A flu season moving at a faster pace than previous years claimed its third San Diegan, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced Wednesday.

Orange County?s first flu season death is a toddler

By LEO SMITH | leosmith@scng.com and DEEPA BHARATH | dbharath@scng.com | Orange County Register
    PUBLISHED: November 9, 2017 at 9:42 am | UPDATED: November 9, 2017 at 2:56 pm
    A previously healthy male toddler is Orange County?s first flu-related death of the season, the Orange County Health Care Agency announced Thursday, Nov. 9.

Lab testing this week confirmed the boy was infected with the influenza A virus. He was not vaccinated, officials said.
    A previously healthy male toddler is Orange County’s first flu-related death of the season, the Orange County Health Care Agency announced Thursday, Nov. 9.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Santa Clara County reports its first flu death of the season

By TRACY SEIPEL | tseipel@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
      PUBLISHED: November 16, 2017 at 2:49 pm | UPDATED: November 16, 2017 at 3:03 pm
      A Santa Clara County adult under age 65 is the first flu-related death reported in the county this flu season, public health officials announced Thursday.

The victim, who died earlier this month, had not received this year?s flu vaccine and suffered from other medical conditions that placed the person at greater risk of severe complications from the flu, Santa Clara County health officials said.
      The adult victim, who died earlier this month and had not received this year’s flu vaccine, had other medical conditions that placed the person at greater risk of severe complications from th…

Comment

Fourth Flu-Related Death Reported This Season

By Kevin Pichinte

Fourth Flu-Related Death Reported This Season
        A fourth San Diegan has died from flu complications in a flu season moving at a faster pace than previous years, the County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) announced Wednesday.
        A 92-year-old woman died Nov. 11 and tested positive for influenza A. She is the fourth person to die as a result of the flu this season.
        A fourth San Diegan has died from flu complications in a flu season moving at a faster pace than previous years, the County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) announced Wednesday.

Comment

County reports season's first flu-related death
          Published: 29 November 2017 Written by Megan V. Winslow - Staff Writer/meganw@latc.com
          The Santa Clara County Public Health Department has reported the first local influenza-related death of the season.

The deceased was an adult between the ages of 40 and 64 who died in late October or early November, the health department reported. The person had existing medical conditions that placed him or her at increased risk for complications from the flu, and had not received the flu vaccine. The health department is intentionally vague about the circumstances of the death due to privacy concerns.

This mortality count does not include flu-related deaths of individuals older than 65; in California, only flu-related deaths of people under the age of 65 must be tracked and reported.

Comment

11th Flu Death Reported As Influenza Cases Soar In San Diego County
            Wednesday, December 27, 2017

By City News Service

The number of influenza cases and related fatalities skyrocketed in the San Diego region last week, pushing the "flu season'' totals to levels far ahead of the same time last year, county health officials reported on Wednesday.

According to the county Health and Human Services Agency, 2,227 new flu cases were confirmed by laboratory testing last week, raising this season's total to 3,873, well above the 599 reported at the same time last year. It's the first time more than 1,000 influenza cases were seen in the county in a single week, and is about four times more than the week before, according to Dr. Sayone Thihalolipavan, the county deputy public health officer.
            The number of influenza cases and related fatalities skyrocketed in the San Diego region last week, pushing the "flu season'' totals to levels far ahead of the same time last year, county health officials reported on Wednesday.

Comment

First flu death of the season reported in Monterey County
              Brandon Castillo
              Posted: Dec 28, 2017 02:37 PM PST

Updated: Dec 28, 2017 05:33 PM PST

MONTEREY COUNTY, Calif. - A Monterey County resident became the first flu related death this season.

Health Officials said the person was under the age of 65-years-old.

Comment

Woman in her 60s dies from flu in Stanislaus County
                KCRA Updated: 12:51 PM PST Dec 29, 2017
                KCRA Staff

STANISLAUS COUNTY, Calif. (KCRA) ?
                A woman in her 60s was the first person to die from the flu in Stanislaus County, the Health Services Agency said.

Comment

Flu kills 34 more people, including a 1-year-old, in San Diego

The latest report from San Diego County's public health department lists an additional 34 flu-related deaths, pushing the total to 45 for the season, a number that is more than eight times higher than it was the previous year.
                  Paul Sisson
                  The number of deaths associated with this year?s severe flu season has quadrupled in a week, according to the latest update from the county Health and Human Services Agency.

An additional 34 deaths were added to the tally Wednesday, including a one-year-old boy, as influenza raged throughout the region in what experts say is the fiercest battle with the rapidly-mutating virus they?ve experienced since 2009, when a pandemic filled emergency rooms from Oceanside to Chula Vista.
                  The number of deaths associated with this year’s severe flu season has quadrupled in a week, according to the latest update from the county Health and Human Services Agency.

Baby dies of flu on New Year’s Eve
                  POSTED 11:40 AM, JANUARY 3, 2018, BY CITY NEWS SERVICE, UPDATED AT 06:38PM, JANUARY 3, 2018

SAN DIEGO -- A 12-month-old child died on New Year's Eve after contracting influenza, bringing the total flu deaths in San Diego County this season to 45, health officials reported Wednesday.
                  http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/01/03/b...new-years-eve/

Comment

2 flu-related deaths in Tulare County
                    by FOX26 NewsThursday, January 4th 2018

TULARE, Calif. (FOX26) ? The Tulare County Public Health has received reports that two Tulare County women have died from influenza-related infections.

Health officials say one died from influenza A and the other from influenza B.
                    The Tulare County Public Health has received reports that two Tulare County women have died from influenza-related infections.Health officials say one died from influenza A and the other from influenza B.Health officials say flu numbers have increased in

Vicious flu spike in Southern California has caused extreme fevers, some deaths
                    By DAVID WHITING | dwhiting@scng.com | Orange County Register
                    January 3, 2018 at 10:18 pm
                    With February usually the peak for flu, Los Angeles witnessed its first two deaths in November. Last month in Riverside County, a Murrieta child died.

At this time last year, Orange County had zero influenza deaths. This flu season, Orange County health officials already have seen four deaths.

Comment

San Diego: 45
                      Tulare: 2
                      LA: 2
                      Riverside: 1
                      Orange: 4
                      Stanislaus: 1
                      Monterey: 1
                      Santa Clara: 1
                      Total: 57

Comment

Thursday Jan 04 2018 0 comments
                        Placer County flu season turns deadly; early season fatality one of 10 in state
                        By: Gus Thomson, Reporter/Media Life columnist

Placer County?s flu season recorded its first fatality of the year in December ? one of 10 so far in California.
                        Placer health authorities were releasing no information about the victim, other than to say the person was under age 65.
                        For Gold Country community and local news and events, trust Gold Country Media. We keep you up-to-date on the latest news.

Comment

Marlene Millen@marlene_mmm 27m27 minutes ago More

#fluseason For the last three days at UCSD we prescribed as many #tamiflu as we did in the entire prior week. We also started prescribing without visits last week with a protocol and stopped testing as much due to volume. @MackayIM @UCSDHealth @FluTrackers

Comment

Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
                            Marlene Millen@marlene_mmm 27m27 minutes ago More

#fluseason For the last three days at UCSD we prescribed as many #tamiflu as we did in the entire prior week. We also started prescribing without visits last week with a protocol and stopped testing as much due to volume. @MackayIM @UCSDHealth @FluTrackers

hat tip to @marlene_mmm

Apparently tamiflu shortages in Los Angeles area too:

snip

"When her doctor prescribed her Tamiflu on Wednesday, Bringenberg learned that a CVS pharmacy in Glassell Park was out of the medicine. All the CVS pharmacies in the area had run out, the pharmacists there told her.

Bringenberg then called a nearby independent pharmacy, but it also had exhausted its supply."

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...htmlstory.html

Comment

Flu?s death toll in LA County climbs as waves of patients swamp hospitals, clinics

By SUSAN ABRAM | sabram@scng.com | Daily News
                              PUBLISHED: January 5, 2018 at 5:43 pm | UPDATED: January 5, 2018 at 7:46 pm
                              The flu has killed at least 26 Los Angeles County residents so far this season, health officials reported Friday, compared to just five at the same point last year.

But the strain gripping the region this year is not just earlier, it?s also stronger ? overwhelming hospitals and urgent care centers and raising concerns about a possible shortage of the Tamiflu treatment.
                              At least 26 Los Angeles County residents have died so far this flu season, as the virus continues to spread over the region,  overwhelming hospitals and urgent care centers earlier than usual. Clau…

San Diego: 45
                              Tulare: 2
                              LA: 26
                              Riverside: 1
                              Orange: 4
                              Stanislaus: 1
                              Monterey: 1
                              Santa Clara: 1
                              Placer: 1
                              Total: 82

Comment

Working...
                              X