California: Influenza 2016-17, 28 fatalities reported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California: Influenza 2016-17, 28 fatalities reported

Link to 2015-16 season https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...-16-flu-season

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Public Health Communication
    January 18, 2017 Media Phone: 559-259-1798
    Promotion, preservation and protection of the community?s health
    1221 Fulton Mall /P. O. Box 11867, Fresno, CA 93775
    (559) 600-3550 FAX (559) 600-7606
    The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
    www.co.fresno.ca.us www.fcdph.org
    First Influenza-Associated Death in Fresno County
    Influenza Season 2016-2017
    The Fresno County Department of Public Health has received confirmation that an adult female
    Fresno County resident is the first influenza-associated death in Fresno County this influenza
    season. Nationwide (between October 2, 2016 through December 23, 2016) there have been 42
    influenza-associated deaths, of individuals 18-64 years old and 2 influenza-associated pediatric
    deaths (0-17 years old). Fresno County public health officials are encouraging everyone over
    the age of 6 months to get vaccinated regardless of age or health status.
    ?This tragic, untimely death reminds us that we all must take action to prevent infection with
    influenza. Principal among these is vaccination. Get yours today.?, Dr. Ken Bird, Fresno County
    Health Officer.

Flu On The Rise In California With 9 Dead In 2017
    January 18, 2017 11:23 PM By Macy Jenkins

STANISLAUS COUNTY (CBS13) ? California is one of 12 states reporting widespread flu activity. Last week, Stanislaus County saw its first flu death of 2017. And with nine deaths across the state so far, health officials are predicting this year to be one of the worst in 10 years.

?It?s quite usual for influenza in Northern California to become prevalent after the Christmas vacation,? said Dr. Walker, Public Health Officer for Stanislaus County Health Services Agency. ?This year, it went from sporadic to epidemic in a couple of weeks! Just a significant upswing!?
    The first flu death in the state happened in Los Angeles County last month. Both Yolo and Stanislaus counties have had their own flu deaths in January.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

San Diego Flu Season Death Toll Rises To 14

Thursday, January 19, 2017
    By City News Service

Six new influenza-related deaths in the San Diego region, including that of a previously healthy 45-year-old woman, were reported Thursday by county health officials.

The "flu season" death toll rose to 14, compared to three at this time last year. The other fatalities involved older people who had underlying medical conditions, according to the county Health and Human Services Agency.

"Influenza can be deadly, especially for those with underlying chronic conditions," said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county public health officer. "It is not too late to get vaccinated. The vaccine is a good match against the circulating flu strains and can provide good protection against the illness."
    Six new influenza-related deaths in the San Diego region bring the total number of deaths to 14.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Flu season claims first San Bernardino County victim
      By Ryan Hagen, The Sun
      POSTED: 01/26/17, 12:14 PM PST | UPDATED: 14 HRS AGO 0 COMMENTS
      A child who had underlying medical conditions has become the first flu-related death in San Bernardino County this year, the Department of Public Health reported Thursday.

Influenza activity has been more severe this flu season than last year, and 14 people statewide had died of the flu as of Jan. 14, according to a news release from the county health department.

?The family has our sincerest condolences. The death of a child is always tragic, but this fatality is a reminder that the flu can be serious and often deadly,? said Dr. Maxwell Ohikhuare, county health officer, in a news release. ?Flu shots are the most effective protection from the flu, and it?s not too late to get one.?

The department did not report where in the county the child lived.
      A child who had underlying medical conditions has become the first flu-related death in San Bernardino County this year, the Department of Public Health reported Thursday.Influenza activity has bee…

Comment

County flu death toll reaches 21

Paul Sisson Paul SissonContact Reporter

San Diego County reported seven more flu-related deaths Wednesday, pushing the total this flu season to 21 ? nearly three times the number tallied by the same time last year.

While that grim statistic might worry anyone fighting an influenza infection, public health experts say there are reasons to think flu activity may have already peaked in the region.

San Diego County reported seven more flu-related deaths Wednesday, pushing the total this flu season to 21 — nearly three times the number tallied by the same time last year.

Comment

Working...
        X