Arkansas Influenza 2017-18; 227 fatalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six flu deaths drive season's toll above 200

With new cases on decline, activity level now ?minimal?
    By Andy Davis

This article was published today at 3:16 a.m.

The death toll in Arkansas from the current flu season surpassed 200 as six additional deaths were reported in the past week to the state Department of Health.

Meanwhile, the number of new cases continued to decline, with the department downgrading the level of activity from "moderate" to "minimal."

"We're just thrilled that the flu season seems to be winding down," Jennifer Dillaha, medical director for the Health Department's immunization program, said. "It's been a very difficult year for a lot of people -- families and health care providers."

Because of delays in collecting information, it's likely the number of reported deaths, which stood at 203 as of Tuesday, will continue rising even as new flu cases continue to become less common, she said.
    The death toll in Arkansas from the current flu season surpassed 200 as six additional deaths were reported in the past week to the state Department of Health.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Outbreak Response/Epidemiology
      Influenza Weekly Report
      Arkansas 2017-2018
      Week Ending Saturday 03/24/2018
      Report Key Points:
       For Week 12, Arkansas reported ?Local? activity to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
      for geographic spread of influenza, and ?Minimal? or 3/10 for ILI intensity.
       Since October 1, 2017, over 52,600 positive influenza tests have been reported to the ADH online database
      by health care providers. In Week 12, 37 counties reported influenza cases. The majority of reports came
      from Pulaski, White, Benton, Jefferson, Independence, Sebastian, Craighead, Faulkner, Washington, Desha,
      and Greene.
       Among total flu antigen tests that can distinguish between influenza A and B virus types, 62 percent were
      influenza A, and 38 percent were influenza B.
       Private labs reported 24 positive PCR flu tests this week: 4 positives for influenza A, 18 positives for
      influenza B, one positive for Influenza A subtype H1N1 and one positive for Influenza B subtype Victoria.
      At the ADH lab, no samples tested this week.
       About 1.6 percent of patients visiting emergency rooms this week were there for ILI. About 2.5 percent of
      outpatient visits were for ILI.
       No school absenteeism rate was reported last week among public schools due to spring break.
      To date, 205 influenza-related deaths have been reported in Arkansas this flu season, 200 among adult
      persons and 5 pediatric deaths. CDC has reported a total of 133 pediatric deaths nationwide this season.

 Since October 1, 2017, 59 facilities including 47 nursing homes have reported influenza outbreaks.
       The proportion of deaths reported to the National Center for Health Statistics attributed to pneumonia and
      influenza (P&I) was above the system-specific epidemic threshold.
       For Week 11, the geographic spread of influenza was reported as widespread in 17 states; Guam, Puerto
      Rico, and 26 states reported regional activity; the District of Columbia and five states reported local
      activities; and the U.S. Virgin Islands and two states reported sporadic activities.
       You can report flu year-round and view the weekly influenza report during the influenza season at:
      http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/prog...pics/influenza.
      You can also access the reporting website directly at: https://FluReport.ADH.Arkansas.gov
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Five flu deaths reported; season's toll rises to 210

By Andy Davis

This article was published today at 2:37 a.m.

Five more flu-related deaths were reported to the state last week, bringing the death toll from the current flu season to 210, state health officials told legislators on Monday.

Meanwhile, the number of people getting sick with the flu has continued to decline.

"We're seeing a clear downtrend" in new infections, Nate Smith, director of the state Department of Health, told the House and Senate public health committees.

"Although there will continue to be influenza activity at some level in the state, probably for several weeks, we are clearly past the worst of it."
        Five more flu-related deaths were reported to the state last week, bringing the death toll from the current flu season to 210, state health officials told legislators on Monday.

Comment

Arkansas flu deaths climb to 215

Illness cited in 30 counties, but season?s end called close
          By Andy Davis

This article was published today at 3:34 a.m.

Five more flu deaths were reported to the state in the past week, raising the death toll from the current flu season to 215, the state Department of Health reported Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the department reported fewer than 1 percent of patients visiting the doctor had flu-like symptoms -- about the same percentage that's typically reported outside of the flu season, said Jennifer Dillaha, medical director for the Health Department's immunization program.

"There's enough counties reporting activity that we don't feel like we're out of flu season yet, but we're getting very close," she said.
          Five more flu deaths were reported to the state in the past week, raising the death toll from the current flu season to 215, the state Department of Health reported Tuesday.

Comment

Outbreak Response/Epidemiology
            Influenza Weekly Report
            Arkansas 2017-2018
            Week Ending Saturday 04/14/2018
             For Week 15, Arkansas reported ?Local? activity to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
            for geographic spread of influenza, and ?Minimal? or 1/10 for ILI intensity.
             Since October 1, 2017, over 53,200 positive influenza tests have been reported to the ADH online database
            by health care providers. In Week 15, 33 counties reported influenza cases. The majority of reports came
            from Craighead, Pulaski, Faulkner, Sebastian, Benton, Jefferson, Cleburne, Garland, Greene, Polk, and
            Pope.
             Among total flu antigen tests that can distinguish between influenza A and B virus types, 62 percent were
            influenza A, and 38 percent were influenza B.
             Private labs reported 5 positive PCR flu tests this week: 2 positives for influenza A, 3 positives for influenza
            B. At the ADH lab, one sample tested negative this week.
             About 1.0 percent of patients visiting emergency rooms this week were there for ILI. About 1.4 percent of
            outpatient visits were for ILI.
             The average school absenteeism rate last week was 5.8 percent among public schools.
            To date, 217 influenza-related deaths have been reported in Arkansas this flu season, 212 among adult
            persons and 5 pediatric deaths. CDC has reported a total of 151 pediatric deaths nationwide this season.

 Since October 1, 2017, 59 facilities including 47 nursing homes have reported influenza outbreaks.
             The proportion of deaths reported to the National Center for Health Statistics attributed to pneumonia and
            influenza (P&I) was below the system-specific epidemic threshold.
             For Week 14, the geographic spread of influenza was reported as widespread in 7 states; Guam, Puerto Rico
            and 22 states reported regional activity; the District of Columbia and 16 states reported local activities; the
            U.S. Virgin Islands and five states reported sporadic activities.
             You can report flu year-round and view the weekly influenza report during the influenza season at:
            http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/prog...pics/influenza.
            You can also access the reporting website directly at: https://FluReport.ADH.Arkansas.gov

Comment

2 flu deaths lift state toll to 219

Fewer counties report cases
              By Andy Davis

This article was published today at 1:03 a.m.

Two more flu-related deaths were reported in Arkansas in the past week, raising the state's death toll from the current season to 219, the state Department of Health reported Tuesday.

For the second week in a row, the Health Department also reported an uptick in the percentage of doctor's office patients with flu-like symptoms.

During the week that ended Saturday, 1.5 percent of patients visiting the doctor had such symptoms, up from 1.4 percent a week earlier, according to the department.
              Two more flu-related deaths were reported in Arkansas in the past week, raising the state's death toll from the current season to 219, the state Department of Health reported Tuesday.

Comment

3 flu deaths reported in state, raising season's count to 222
                By Andy Davis

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 3:06 a.m.

Three more flu-related deaths were reported in Arkansas in the past week, raising the state's death toll in the current flu season to 222, the state Department of Health reported Tuesday.

For the third week in a row, the department also reported an increase in the percentage of patients with a high fever and cough or sore throat visiting the doctor. During the week that ended Saturday, 2 percent of patients had such symptoms, up from 1.5 percent a week earlier and 1.4 percent the previous week.

The percentage of emergency room patients who had such symptoms continued to drop, however. Less than 1 percent of emergency patients had flu-like symptoms last week, down from 1 percent a week earlier.
                Three more flu-related deaths were reported in Arkansas in the past week, raising the state's death toll in the current flu season to 222, the state Department of Health reported Tuesday.

Comment

State's health agency reports 3rd flu-linked death of season
                  by Andy Davis | Today at 4:30 a.m.
                  The first flu-related death during the previous season was reported in late November 2017, Mirivel has said. A total of 227 people died of the flu that season, making it the deadliest in decades.
                  A third death linked to the current flu season has been reported to the state, a spokesman for the state Department of Health said Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                  X