Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA: Three Dead, Others Hospitalized In Unidentified Virus Outbreak At Fairfax Retirement Community - rhinovirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just noted that in figure 3 future studies are mentioned but I do not know if in their lab:

Figure 3. Pan-coronavirus drug discovery.
    Currently, the state of pan-coronavirus drug discovery is not structured to provide adequate pre-clinical therapeutics to combat emerging CoV pathogens. A diverse array of coronaviruses is
    needed that includes epidemic isolates of SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, zoonotic viruses isolated from intermediate reservoir hosts, pre-emergent CoVs from bats, and clinical isolates of mildly
    pathogenic HCoVs. In vitro testing in compatible cell lines uses high throughput screening to identify novel targets that mitigate replication of coronaviruses. Targets identified by in vitro
    methods can be confirmed using human airway epithelial cultures. Based on these results, lead targets will be tested in small animal models and nonhuman primate models of highly
    pathogenic coronavirus infections that recapitulate signs of human SARS or MERS patients. Our analysis identified several key weaknesses in both in vitro and in vivo models of highlypathogenic coronavirus virus infection impeding the identification of pan-coronavirus antiviral drugs.

I am not accusing them. I would like only that all the possibilities can be considered and tested, not only in China.

Comment

In Europe we have labs working on same viruses:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...ly-cult-figure

How the pandemic made this virologist an unlikely cult figure

By Kai KupferschmidtApr. 28, 2020 , 12:25 PM

We just need to hope that all these labs do not have leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy View Post
        In Europe we have labs working on same viruses:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...ly-cult-figure

How the pandemic made this virologist an unlikely cult figure

By Kai KupferschmidtApr. 28, 2020 , 12:25 PM

We just need to hope that all these labs do not have leaks.
        Sadly, I think there are a lot more lab leaks in the world than are ever publicly acknowledged.

Comment

• Emily
          Emily commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure there are, too. (And I don't mind your skepticism about China's government at all, by the way.)

In this context, it could be useful to read the following analysis of benefit/risk of gain of functions studies. In this case was about Influenza virus, but it applies perfectly to Coronavirus. Each of us can make his own mind about it. If the majority think that the costs are higher than the benefits there are ways to change the actual regulations. These regulations should apply word-wide, because an accident in a lab somewhere in the world has the potential to affect all of us.

Editorial

Risks and Benefits of Gain-of-Function Experiments with Pathogens of Pandemic Potential, Such as Influenza Virus: a Call for a Science-Based Discussion

Arturo Casadevall, Michael J. Imperiale

DOI: 10.1128/mBio.01730-14

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X