Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA FluView Reports - Week 48 (2009) - Week 20 (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CDC Week 50

yes, up again.
    ILI as well a mortality ratio

Learn more about the weekly influenza surveillance report (FluView) prepared by the Influenza Division.
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Re: CDC Week 50

P&I up to 7.7% second highest in the last 10 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P&I 10 yr.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	651801

Name:	week 51 P&I.JPG
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	651802

Four influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported to CDC during week 51 (Florida [2], Massachusetts, and Texas). Two of these deaths were associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection and two were associated with an influenza A virus for which the subtype is undetermined. The deaths reported during week 51 occurred between August 30 and December 19, 2009.

Since August 30, 2009, CDC has received 225 reports of influenza-associated pediatric deaths that occurred during the current influenza season (42 deaths in children less than 2 years old, 25 deaths in children 2-4 years old, 83 deaths in children 5-11 years old, and 75 deaths in children 12-17 years old). One hundred eighty-three (81%) of the 225 deaths were due to 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infections, 41 were associated with influenza A virus for which the subtype is undetermined, and one was associated with an influenza B virus infection. A total of 243 deaths in children associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been reported to CDC.
      Learn more about the weekly influenza surveillance report (FluView) prepared by the Influenza Division.
      Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: CDC Week 51 fluview

Synopsis:
        During week 51 (December 20-26, 2009), influenza activity decreased slightly in the U.S.

?154 (3.9%) specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division were positive for influenza.
        ?All subtyped influenza A viruses reported to CDC were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses.
        ?The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was above the epidemic threshold.
        ?Four influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported. Two of these deaths were associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection and two were associated with an influenza A virus for which the subtype was undetermined.
        ?The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 3.2% which is above the national baseline of 2.3%. Two of the 10 regions (1 and 10) reported ILI below region-specific baseline levels.
        ?o Four states reported geographically widespread influenza activity, 13 states reported regional influenza activity, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 19 states reported local influenza activity, Guam and 13 states reported sporadic influenza activity, and one state reported no influenza activity, the U.S. Virgin Islands did not report.
        The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Name:	image512.gif
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	651803

Comment

Code:
            region
               relative amount of ILI in wave 1
                   relative amount of ILI in wave 2
                         total
            --------------------------
             2  53  70  123
             9  41  86  127
            10  31  80  111
             3  29  84  113
             6  28 125  153
             4  22  83  105
             5  19  67   86
             8  11  54   65
             1  10  52   62
             7   9  94  103

Attached Files

Comment

How can you have 26 jurisdictions reporting deaths and only have 15 deaths?

Comment

Originally posted by Missouriwatcher View Post
                How can you have 26 jurisdictions reporting deaths and only have 15 deaths?
                http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekly...ta/AHDRA51.htm
                ! Good question. My guess is a typo in one of the last 2 columns for week 51.
                Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

Deaths Per Million By Region

Deaths per million based on state's population by region (lowest and highest states are listed...other states within region fall in between these numbers) Of note, MO seems an unrealistic number, and perhaps should be ignored. while NM is highest, and perhaps they have better reporting. Additionally, within Region 8, ND shows 4.7 while SD is 28.6 with that region having highest H1N1 cases in the nation.

........death rate per million......case rate per million
                  Region 1: ME (4.2-13.7) MA .......446.3
                  Region 2: NJ (4.8-13.7) PR .........97.3
                  Region 3: VA (4.9-11) WV .........555.6
                  Region 4: GA (4.2-10.7) FL ........271.9
                  Region 5: OH (3.6-10.9) MN .......362.1
                  Region 6: AR (7.3-25.7) NM .......219.5
                  Region 7: MO (1.9-13.3) IA ........390.5
                  Region 8: ND (4.7-28.6) SD ......1160.1
                  Region 9: HI (8.5-21) AZ ...........352.6
                  Region10: ID (13.1-19.8) OR ......620.2
                  USA: 9.7

Comment

Re: Deaths Per Million By Region

Do ND and SD differ that greatly? Or, MO vs IA?

Comment

Yesterday on the radio show I asked Dr. Racaniello if we should watch the fiqure below (0.3%) to increase as a sign that the current vaccine is becoming less effective and he said "yes". He expects slowly over time we will need a new vaccine to replace the current one. He says that from all the data he has seen that the current vaccine is still very effective.

"Two viruses (0.3%) tested showed reduced titers with antiserum produced against A/California/07/2009."

Comment

which were those 2 ?

Europe:

Based on the antigenic characterization of 799 influenza viruses reported from week 40/2009 to week 52/2009, 792 were pandemic A(H1N1), A/California/7/2009-like, 3 were A/Perth/16/2009 (H3N2)-like, 2 were A(H3) A/Brisbane/10/2007 (H3N2)-like, 1 was A/Brisbane/59/2007 (H1N1)-like, and 1 was B/Brisbane/60/2008-like. Genetic characterizations were available for 252 isolates; all belonged to the A/California/7/2009 A(H1N1) pandemic influenza lineage.

even if the virus mutates away, the vax would still be effective in the sense, that it
                        converts pandemic outbreaks into seasonal ones. The 1976-vax is still somehow effective

vaccine is not so often changes, this one may be in use for 5 years or such, since it's a new virus.
                        Like New Caledonia/1999

Comment

When looking at Regions:

Region deaths/cases
                          1.........(1.5&#37
                          2.........(8.4%)
                          3.........(1.3%)
                          4.........(3.1%)
                          5.........(1.8%)
                          6.........(4.4%)
                          7.........(1.8%)
                          8.........(1.3%)
                          9.........(4.5%)
                          10........(2.5%)

Comment

The age stucture of states will have an effect on infection rates.

Additionally, don't underestimate the effects of variable detection of cases. States vary greatly in resources, capabilities, reporting methods and procedures.
                            Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

See Missouri "Show Me" data. We hide behind our P&I.
                              Here's another way we do things: "No specimens were received by the State Public Health Laboratory for viral testing during week 52."

Comment

USA deaths (2,999) divided by cumulative cases (111,171) = 2.7%

(number of cumulative cases comes from 26Dec CDC source above)

Comment

Working...
                                X