West Virginia: 3 confirmed human H3N2v infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Virginia: 3 confirmed human H3N2v infections

News for Gallipolis, Pomeroy, Point Pleasant and Mason towns. Ohio and West Virginia news, sports, events, schools, and local advertising. River Cities Tribune and Register

Fair officers working to prevent swine flu

MASON COUNTY ? Some reported cases of the swine flu have come about in the last week and those with the Mason County Health Department and the Mason County Fair are working to prevent it from continuing.

It was reported the Mason County Health Department has been working very closely with Fair Board President, Benny Hoffman, to take every precaution possible, in order to keep the the Mason County Fair safe and fun for all those attending. Since there have been reports in the community about swine flu cases in the last week, the health department recently met with Hoffman to develop a a plan to prevent any illnesses of fair goers.

Actions that have been taken include the fact that all animals, including swine, have been checked by the WV agricultural department upon arrival of the fair. Signs have been posted in all animal areas to remind fair goers to not eat and drink in animal areas as well as to wash their hands after touching the animals. It was also reported that hand sanitizer stations are posted at both entrances to the hog barn and throughout the fair. Hoffman also met with the owners of the pigs to discuss watching them closely for signs of illness.

If any person shows signs of illness, which include fever, cough, sore throat headache and body aches, and have been around any swine, it was reported they should tell their health provider they have been in contact with swine.

For more information, contact the Mason County Health Department at 304-675-3050.

Re: West Virginia: Reports of human H3N2v cases

Wednesday August 15, 2012
    DHHR confirms 3 cases of H3N2v in West Virginia

Three human cases of H3N2v have been reported in Mason County, according to the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Office of Epidemiology and Prevention Services.

H3N2v is an influenza A virus that contains genes from avian, swine and human viruses that normally circulate in swine, but can infect humans. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced last week an increase in reported H3N2v cases in several states including Illinois, Indiana and Ohio, mostly affecting children who had exposure to pigs at agriculture fairs.

Symptoms of H3N2v virus infection so far have been similar to seasonal flu. While most cases have been mild, a number of hospitalizations have occurred. No fatalities have been reported.

All the cases of H3N2v infection identified since July 2012 confirmed by CDC have had exposure to swine, officials said. Preventive actions are key in preventing the spread of the disease.

[snip]

Comment

Re: West Virginia: 3 confirmed human H3N2v infections

DHHR says 3 confirmed swine flu cases in W.Va.
      Thursday August 16, 2012 12:30 PM

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) ? Three swine flu cases have been confirmed in West Virginia.

The state Department of Health and Human Resources says all three cases were found in Mason County. The cases have been linked to attendance at the Gallia County Fair in Ohio where swine were present.

WOWK-TV says the DHHR announced the cases Thursday.

The department says people attending fairs should wash their hands frequently. People with health issues should avoid contact swine at fairs.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Working...
      X