• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA: You can call state?s hot line if you see dead or ailing swans

Source: http://www.thenewstribune.com/advent...ry/550819.html

You can call state’s hot line if you see dead or ailing swans
    THE NEWS TRIBUNE
    Published: November 27th, 2008 12:05 AM

As part of its effort to monitor trumpeter swans that have died from lead poisoning, the state Department of Fish and Wildlife has re-established its hot line to report dead or ill swans in Whatcom, Skagit and Snohomish counties.

People can call 360-466-4345, Ext. 266, to report dead or sick swans. Callers should be prepared to leave a message including their name and phone number and the location and condition of the swans. The hot line is available 24 hours a day through the end of February.

snip

The News Tribune

Re: WA: You can call state?s hot line if you see dead or ailing swans

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
    Source: [url]

[B]The collected swans also will be among the thousands of wild birds the agency is testing for avian influenza.
    Interesting.

Yet we've not seen other surveillance programs that dovetail (sorry) on the demise of birds for other reasons.

For example, the poultry outbreak of H7 near Regina in Sept 2007 resulted in the US border prohibiting hunters from transporting their geese back into the US. These birds were dumped at the boder without further testing. As far as I'm aware, no programs exist for the surveillance of birds taken by hunters.

J.

Comment

Re: WA: You can call state?s hot line if you see dead or ailing swans

Sampling goes on in all states...

Most if not all, do test hunters harvests. However, I think swan hunting is only allow in one or two states on the east coast...and I believe Trumpeter Swans are protected.

Comment

Working...
      X