Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York - USDA reports H5 found in duck in live bird market - tests pending to detemine N gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avian Influenza H5N1 Found in New York Live Bird Market; Japan and Taiwan Halt Poultry Exports from New York (NCC, January 12 2013)

Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
    I spoke to a media person at the USDA and she asked me to send her an email. So I am doing that in a minute.

To: rachael.dubinsky - usda
    Subject: US National Chicken Council reports H5N1 incident in live New York market
    Date: Jan 14, 2013 11:24 AM

Hi Rachael -

On Friday the National Chicken Council reported that the USDA had informed them that there was an H5N1 incident at the New York live market. Here is their link:

USDA’s National Veterinary Services Laboratories has confirmed low pathogenic H5  from a live bird market in New York. According to USDA’s agreement with Taiwan, FSIS has been notified to amend the FSIS Export Library to state that the export of poultry meat and meat products from the State of New York to Taiwan is prohibited […]

We would like to know:

When did this happen?

How many chickens?

Where are they from?

Which live market in New York?

Are sequences available yet?

What has been done to remedy this situation?

These are my initial questions. I may have more.

Thanks!

sincerely,

Sharon Sanders
    Editor-in-Chief
    FluTrackers.com
    http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/index.php</flutrackers@earthlink.net>

Comment

Re: New York - Avian Influenza H5N1 (presumed low path) Found in Live Bird Market; Japan and Taiwan Halt Poultry Exports from New York (NCC, January 12 2013)

Since I am not really getting any answers yet from the Chicken Council or the USDA, I am going to start on New York city government.

Comment

Re: New York - Avian Influenza H5N1 (presumed low path) Found in Live Bird Market; Japan and Taiwan Halt Poultry Exports from New York (NCC, January 12 2013)

Since I am not really getting any answers yet from the Chicken Council or the USDA, I am going to start on New York city government.
        I talked to a guy in the environmental area within the city health department and he did not know anything about this event. He took the information I had and is going to send emails to their press people as well as some other public health personnel. He said to call him back if no one calls me. He did know what H5N1 was and seemed genuinely concerned about that pathogen, even low pathogenic, being in the food supply.

The chicken council news item does not mention what part of New York. At this point I am going to contact the state government.

Comment

I talked to a guy in the environmental area within the city health department and he did not know anything about this event. He took the information I had and is going to send emails to their press people as well as some other public health personnel. He said to call him back if no one calls me. He did know what H5N1 was and seemed genuinely concerned about that pathogen, even low pathogenic, being in the food supply.

The chicken council news item does not mention what part of New York. At this point I am going to contact the state government.
          It is lunch time here on the east coast so I will call New York state in about an hour. I am going to run some errands and take my note pad in case anyone calls me back.

Comment

I am also calling news people. One prominent organization is pursuing leads on this story.

Comment

It is lunch time here on the east coast so I will call New York state in about an hour. I am going to run some errands and take my note pad in case anyone calls me back.
              No one has returned any emails or calls. I left a message and email for a prominent New York journalist. Also, the New York state veterinarian in charge of this area is supposed to call me to discuss the item posted by the National Chicken Council.

So we have no confirmation and no denial either.

We are only talking about the food supply for New York - population 19 million.

Comment

It is an embarassing situation.

Despite repeated searches into FSIS/USDA newswires, reports, alerts and many other documents, anything else other the export requirements for Taiwan and Japan were found so far.

No OIE/FAO notification too, but this is understandable.

Media outlets, so speedy with seasonal flu news coverage are strangely silent on this issue.

But we are awating ...

Comment

Export Requirements for Japan (Egg Products)

EJA-111 (Jan 11, 2013)

Asterisks (*) indicate the most recent revision to these requirements. To search, click on your browser's "Edit" menu, then click on "Find (on this page)". Enter "*" in the "Find What" field, then click "Find" or "Find Next" until all asterisks have been identified.

Eligible/Ineligible Egg Products
                  Eligible Products
                  Egg products (except as restricted in the INELIGIBLE section below)
                  Ineligible Products

New York: Eggs laid on or after December 25, 2009, and before December 30, 2011 are eligible. Eggs laid after December 30, 2011 and before August 31, 2012 are ineligible. Eggs laid on or after August 31, 2012, and before December 12, 2012 are eligible. Eggs laid on or after December 12, 2012 are ineligible.*

Export Requirements for Japan

JA-228 (Jan 11, 2013)

Asterisks (*) indicate the most recent revision to these requirements. To search, click on your browser's "Edit" menu, then click on "Find (on this page)". Enter "*" in the "Find What" field, then click "Find" or "Find Next" until all asterisks have been identified.
                  Eligible/Ineligible Poultry Products
                  Eligible Products
                  Poultry and poultry products (except as restricted in the INELIGIBLE section below).

Note: Japan accepts chicken, turkey, guinea fowls, ducks, geese, pigeons, and ostrich.
                  Ineligible Products

Specific state restrictions:

New York -Poultry slaughtered on or after December 25, 2009, and before December 30, 2011, is eligible. Poultry slaughtered on or after December 30, 2011 and before August 31, 2012 is ineligible. Poultry slaughtered on or after August 31, 2012 and before December 12, 2012 is eligible. Poultry slaughtered on or after December 12, 2012 is ineligible.*

Export Requirements for Taiwan

TW-115 (Jan 11, 2013)

Ineligible Product
                  Beef and beef products of cattle from Canada other than those identified in A.2.
                  The following beef products: skull, brain, eyes, spinal cords, internal organs and ground beef.
                  Other ruminant products not identified in A.
                  Any poultry meat and/or meat products sourced from birds hatched and/or raised in Saskatchewan, Canada will not be eligible for export to Taiwan.
                  Poultry and poultry products slaughtered or processed in the States below must be produced and shipped in accordance with the effective dates below. Poultry and poultry products may not transit States currently under restrictions unless sealed.

New York - All poultry meat and poultry meat products loaded on-board vessel on or after January 10, 2013 are ineligible. Any poultry meat or poultry meat products loaded on-board vessel on or before January 9, 2013, are eligible for export to Taiwan.*

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
                  The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Export Requirements for Cuba

CU-61 (Jan 14, 2013)

Ineligible Product

Fresh/frozen poultry derived from birds raised or processed in the following States or State Counties are not eligible for export to Cuba:

New York, Kings County (on or after January 10, 2013).*

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

No one has returned any emails or calls. I left a message and email for a prominent New York journalist. Also, the New York state veterinarian in charge of this area is supposed to call me to discuss the item posted by the National Chicken Council.

So we have no confirmation and no denial either.

We are only talking about the food supply for New York - population 19 million.

The prominent New York journalist emailed me back and is looking at this issue too.

Comment

Kings County is Brooklyn - google search finds several poultry markets;

Comment

If the current incident is in Kings Co., then it looks like it's not the first time this has happened, although this report doesn't mention that it was found in a market.

U.S. Meat Export Federation: FSIS Export Library Updates

"January 2012

New York-based Poultry Exports Suspended for Taiwan ? Due to a confirmed case of avian influenza (LPNAI H5) in Kings County, N.Y., APHIS is required ? per a bilateral agreement ? to restrict poultry exports from the state of New York to Taiwan. Therefore, all poultry meat and poultry products loaded on-board vessel on or after January 24, 2012 are ineligible for export to Taiwan. Any poultry meat or poultry products loaded on-board vessel on or before January 23, 2012, are still eligible for Taiwan. "

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention, and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon

"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government." - Sam Houston

Comment

The National Chicken Council representatives just phoned me and I will post my notes in a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Giuseppe Michieli View Post
                              [Source: National Chicken Council, full page: (LINK). Extract.]
                              Avian Influenza Found in New York Live Bird Market; Japan and Taiwan Halt Poultry Exports from New York

On January 11, 2013, in Avian Influenza

USDA’s National Veterinary Services Laboratories has confirmed H5N1 (presumably low pathogenic) from a live bird market in New York. According to USDA’s agreement with Taiwan, FSIS has been notified to amend the FSIS Export Library to state that the export of poultry meat and meat products from the State of New York to Taiwan is prohibited effective immediately.

(…)

-
                              -----

Two representatives from the National Chicken Council phoned me back. Their names are Tom Super and Bill Roenigk. They can be reached at 202-296-2622 for further questions.

The USDA notified them of a laboratory confirmed low pathogenic H5N1 trace picked up from routine surveillance from a live market in one of the boroughs of New York City. This occurrence was approximately 2 weeks ago and they characterized this market as some type of neighborhood venue that sells non-commercially grown poultry i.e. not from a large commercial grower.

Comment

Re: New York - Avian Influenza H5 (presumed low path) Found in Live Bird Market; Japan and Taiwan Halt Poultry Exports from New York (NCC, January 12 2013)

Two representatives from the National Chicken Council phoned me back. Their names are Tom Super and Bill Roenigk. They can be reached at 202-296-2622 for further questions.

The USDA notified them of a laboratory confirmed low pathogenic H5N1 trace picked up from routine surveillance from a live market in one of the boroughs of New York City. This occurrence was approximately 2 weeks ago and they characterized this market as some type of neighborhood venue that sells non-commercially grown poultry i.e. not from a large commercial grower.

UPDATE

I just received an email four minutes ago from Mr. Super and he told me that the test was positive for H5, not H5N1. He said the N1 gene was not found on the test and that his organization reported this event incorrectly on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X