• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioethicist to offer insights on avian flu

Bioethicist to offer insights on avian flu
    College of St. Scholastica

4/9/2006

DULUTH ? If avian flu strikes North America it will create ethical issues that we are not prepared to answer. Who should receive vaccines ? if one that works is available? If people become ill, who should get access to life support? Should people be required to stay home?

Dr. Jeffrey Kahn, director of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Minnesota, will examine these and other issues in a free talk at 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 26, in the Mitchell Auditorium at The College of St. Scholastica. A question-and-answer session will follow the presentation.

Kahn?s talk is the fourth and final talk in a series of free public presentations, ?Avian Flu: Your Questions Answered.? The series is sponsored by the Center for Leadership and Innovation in Healthcare, an outreach initiative of The College of St. Scholastica.

Kahn holds the Maas Family Chair in Bioethics. He is a professor in the Department of Medicine, School of Medicine; Division of Health Services Research and Policy, School of Public Health; and Department of Philosophy at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. The Center for Bioethics at the University of Minnesota is one of the leading research centers for bioethics in the nation. It focuses on bioethics at the policy level, working closely with policymakers, health care professionals and universities. For details see www.bioethics.umn.edu/faculty/kahn_j.html

Previously Kahn was director of the graduate program in bioethics and assistant professor of bioethics at the Medical College of Wisconsin. In 1994-95 he was associate director of the White House Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments. His degrees are in microbiology (B.A., UCLA, 1983); health policy (M.P.H., Johns Hopkins, 1988); and philosophy/bioethics (Ph.D., Georgetown, 1989). He was co-editor of ?Beyond Consent: Seeking Justice in Research? (Oxford University Press, 1998) and wrote the biweekly column ?Ethics Matters? on CNN.com from 1998 to 2002.

Earlier presentations in the ?Avian Flu: Your Questions Answered? lecture series are available at www.css.edu/clih.xml.

The Center for Leadership and Innovation in Healthcare at St. Scholastica focuses on healthcare education, community partnerships, policy formulation and applied research. For more information contact Dr. Cecelia Taylor at (218) 723-6180 or ctaylor@css.edu.

Re: Bioethicist to offer insights on avian flu

I wrote to the email address posted above. If you think it will help, please email them as well, urging that this talk be accessible as a download:

Will you please post this as an online, downloadable item?

There are thousands of people who want to hear what your prof has to say. We participate in online discussion groups on the topic of pandemic influenza. We are from every walk of life, with many in the medical and management fields. We are guides and concerned individuals.

I realize you cannot put this up live on the internet without an effort, but your purpose is to inform the world. We are the world. We want to be informed.

Please consider recording the speech and then posting it as a downloadable file. There are services which will do this for very little money, like I believe, audible.com.

Please reply and I will post your reply at www.flutrackers.com, and www.thefluclinic.com, and www.fluwikie.com. As I said, thousand of people will listen if you will make this available.

Regards,
    Gaudia Ray
    Ojai, CA
    tel: (if you wish to raise a question with me: )

Dr. Jeffrey Kahn, director of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Minnesota, will examine these and other issues in a free talk at 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 26, in the Mitchell Auditorium at The College of St. Scholastica. A question-and-answer session will follow the presentation.

Comment

Working...
    X