X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass: Turkeys take to cities, towns

Turkeys take to cities, towns

By Keith O'Brien, Globe Staff | October 23, 2007

BROOKLINE - On a recent afternoon, Kettly Jean-Felix parked her car on Beacon Street in Brookline, fed the parking meter, wheeled around to go to the optician and came face to face with a wild turkey.

The turkey eyed Jean-Felix. Jean-Felix eyed the turkey. It gobbled. She gasped. Then the turkey proceeded to follow the Dorchester woman over the Green Line train tracks, across the street, through traffic, and all the way down the block, pecking at her backside as she went.

"This is so scary," Jean-Felix said, finally taking refuge inside Cambridge Eye Doctors in Brookline's bustling Washington Square. "I cannot explain it."

Notify the neighbors: The turkeys are spreading through suburbia. Wild turkeys, once eliminated in Massachusetts, are flourishing from Plymouth to Concord and - to the surprise of some wildlife officials - making forays into densely populated suburban and urban areas, including parts of Boston, Cambridge and, most recently, Brookline.

Some Brookline residents have welcomed the birds, happy to see wildlife strolling amid the nannies with $300 strollers and Trader Joe's shoppers. But many others worry what the keen-eyed, sometimes ornery birds might do, prompting as many as a dozen calls to the police department every day.

"Some people are getting very upset," said Brookline police animal control officer Pierre Verrier. "One of the biggest things is, they're afraid. They don't want the turkeys to get hurt. And the other thing is, they're afraid of the turkeys around their children. They don't know what they'll do."

As such, Brookline police issued a statement last month, telling residents what they should - or should not - do if they meet a wild turkey in town. The basic advice: stay away from the turkeys. But still, people keep calling police headquarters to report the strangest sight: Turkeys in downtown Brookline...

Re: Mass: Turkeys take to cities, towns

This is funny!!!

Comment

We were in Maine two weeks ago. We were amazed to see how many wild turkeys there were throughout New England. We see nothing like that, even in rural Pennsylvania.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnW View Post
        We were in Maine two weeks ago. We were amazed to see how many wild turkeys there were throughout New England. We see nothing like that, even in rural Pennsylvania.
        John W, I am hearing that these turkeys are even running around in Pittsburgh! Of course, that is not a rural area. Maybe they do like
        towns/cities better.

I had just moved from Philly when I saw my first wild turkeys running across I95 just south of Freeport, Maine. I did not know what they were, just some big birds seen from far down the road. I thought, those are awful big for crows...

Comment

We have a large flock of wild turkeys that enjoy plucking any goodies out of the fields beside me. I saw them bring traffic on a main highway here to a dead stop as 20 or so leisurely crossed the road.

I think my neighbors have been enjoying wild turkey dinner from time to time.
          The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Working...
          X