• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois - Bird flu could have huge local impact

Bird flu could have huge local impact

Aaron Eades

04/22/2015 05:20 PM04/22/2015 05:23 PM

UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS -- A nationwide outbreak of avian flu has already killed millions of birds. It isn't in Illinois yet, but if it gets here, it could cost the area millions of dollars. That's why one expert says people in the area should be on high alert.
    Chet Utterback manages the poultry unit at the UI's Research Farm. He says, if the flu makes it here, the effects could be devastating.

"We also do ovarian cancer research. This could set back our ovarian cancer research by as much as five years."
    Utterback says it's spread by waterfowl such as geese. Droppings the size of a dime can infect a million birds...
    "Viruses are one of the smartest things on planet Earth. They know how to be smart. They know how to mutate."

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Ovarian cancer research has a link to bird flu? Who knew?
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Working...
    X