Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA: Vehicular heatstroke 2019: 52 children have died so far

Baby Left In Florida Daycare Van Dies: Sheriff
    Officials said the death appears to be heat-related as temperatures in Jacksonville were forecast to reach a high of 90 degrees Wednesday.
    By Feroze Dhanoa, Patch National Staff | May 22, 2019 4:21 pm ET | Updated May 22, 2019 11:24 pm ET

JACKSONVILLE, FL ? A daycare employee is facing charges after the death of an infant who was left in a van for four-and-a-half hours in Florida on Wednesday when temperatures were forecast to touch 90 degrees, officials in Jacksonville said.

Officers responded to the Ewing's Love & Hope Preschool & Academy in Jacksonville around 1:08 p.m. on Wednesday, a spokesperson for the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office told reporters, according to a live broadcast of the briefing.

Officers arrived and assisted firefighters with an unconscious infant in a car seat who was not breathing. The spokesperson said first responders made efforts to resuscitate the baby and then immediately transported her to the hospital. The baby was pronounced dead at the hospital and the spokesperson said the death appears to be heat-related.
    Officials said the death appears to be heat-related as temperatures in Jacksonville were forecast to reach a high of 90 degrees Wednesday.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

52 children died in hot vehicles in the US in 2018.
    For further information: https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids...t/heat-stroke/

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

4-year-old child dies in SC?s first hot car death of 2019, Richland Co. coroner says

By Tanita Gaither | May 24, 2019 at 2:40 PM EDT - Updated May 24 at 6:17 PM
      COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - During a press conference on Friday, the Richland County Coroner?s Office announced the death of a 4-year-old child in the state?s first hyperthermia death of 2019.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts says Zion Akinrefon, of Maryland, was pronounced dead at a Midlands hospital on Wednesday of complications of probable hyperthermia.

Deputies responded to a call on Wednesday after Zion was found unresponsive at a home in Blythewood. By the time deputies arrived, the coroner?s office says, paramedics were performing CPR to the child, who was then rushed to the hospital.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vehicular heatstroke.png
Views:	170
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	812962

Comment

Baby dies after being left inside car for more than 12 hours
        Calverton Park Police say two people are in custody.
        Author: Ashley Cole, Jenna Barnes
        Published: 2:22 PM CDT June 3, 2019
        Updated: 1:40 AM CDT June 4, 2019
        CALVERTON PARK, Mo. ? Two people were taken into custody after an 11-month-old girl died inside a hot car over the weekend.

The Florissant Valley Fire Protection District said they got the call for help around 4:30 p.m. Sunday. When they arrived, someone was performing CPR on the baby in the house, spokesman Mark Flauter said.

Comment

3-month-old baby dies after mom left her in car for over 3 hours, Kansas sheriff says
          BY JASON TIDD
          JUNE 10, 2019 04:58 PM, UPDATED JUNE 10, 2019 05:01 PM

A 3-month-old baby girl died after she was left in a car Saturday afternoon near Rose Hill, officials said.

Emergency crews were called at around 4 p.m. for a child not breathing report in the 13000 block of Southwest 160th Street, about 3 miles northeast of Rose Hill, Butler County Sheriff Kelly Herzet said. Paramedics pronounced a 3-month-old girl dead at the scene.

Comment

4-Year-Old Boy Found In Hot Car Near Aubrey Dies In Hospital
            By Gilma AvalosJune 22, 2019 at 6:46 pmFiled Under:Aubrey, child, Dallas Medical Examiner, Denton County, dies, hot, hot car, Texas, Weather

PROVIDENCE VILLAGE (CBSDFW.COM) ? The 4-year-old boy who was found unresponsive inside a car this week died Saturday morning, police said.

Kaysen Neyland was pronounced dead at Children?s Medical Center in Dallas, where he had been airlifted after his family discovered him Thursday afternoon.

Child dies after being left in hot car for five hours
            8:05 am
            June 23, 2019

A one-year-old died in Galveston, Texas after being left in a hot car Saturday. This take the total deaths so far in 2019 up to 13.

According to NoHeatStroke.org, the air temperature was 92?. Once the temperature gets above 90?, it?s only a matter of minutes before the temperature inside the car (even with windows rolled down) climbs above 100?.

Comment

3 Texas Children Die In Hot Cars In 3-Day Period
              June 27, 2019 at 2:28 pm

TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) ? In the matter of three days, three Texas children have died as a result of overheating in cars.

Texas ranks first in the nation on the number of child hot car deaths with 128 fatalities since 1991. Last year was the worst year in history for child hot car deaths with a total of 52 children that died nationwide, according to the Kids And Cars organization.
              Just one day after Neyland was found, an 11-month-old girl was left in a heated car and found unresponsive in Bardwell.

The heat index, according to local weatherman Ron Vestal, got up to 107 at 3:52 p.m.

She was pronounced dead at the scene at approximately 7 p.m.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vehicular heatstroke.png
Views:	143
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	814397

Comment

3-year-old Tennessee child reported missing found dead in van hours later
                by WTVCFriday, June 28th 2019

Image: Pixabay via MGN

MORRISTOWN, Tenn. ? Tennessee police say a missing 3-year-old has been found dead in a minivan.

According to news outlets, an incident report from the Morristown Police Department says officers found the child Thursday evening while responding to a report that the youngster was missing. The report said the child had last been seen around 4 p.m. and was suspected to have wandered outside the home.

Police found the child a short time later in a minivan parked in the home's driveway.

Comment

Keeping your child safe in the car this summer
                  Author: Jacqueline Quynh
                  Published: 10:25 PM CDT June 29, 2019
                  Updated: 10:25 PM CDT June 29, 2019

NEW ORLEANS ? 15 children have already died this year from being left inside of hot cars. It's an alarming number that New Orleans Emergency Services says is a reminder to people to take extra steps to prevent a child's death.

Jonathan Fourcade, a public information officer for New Orleans EMS says it takes just 10 minutes for a child to pass out in a hot car.
                  "If it's 90 degrees outside on a typical day in New Orleans, after just 20 minutes inside that car we're looking at almost 120 degrees," Fourcade said.
                  Last year, there was a record 52 deaths since the Council began keeping a record in 1998. Fourcade said all the deaths were preventable.

Experts recommend that whenever you put your baby in the back seat, just take off one of your shoes, and leave it back there so you remember your child still needs to be taken out.

Jonathan Fourcade, a public information officer for New Orleans EMS says it takes just 10 minutes for a child to pass out in a hot car.
                  "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
                  -Nelson Mandela

Comment

# Date City State Name Age Sex
                    17 6/30/2019 Sioux City IA Girl 16 mos F
                    16 6/28/2019 Morristown TN Boy 3 yrs M
                    15 6/26/2019 Dothan AL Castiel King 2 yrs M

16-month-old child dies after being left in hot car in Sioux City

KETV Updated: 1:49 PM CDT Jul 1, 2019

SIOUX CITY, Iowa ?
                    A child died after being left unattended in a vehicle in Sioux City, Iowa, authorities said.

According to officials, Sioux City police officers responded to a call of an unconscious child around 4 p.m. Sunday.

When police arrived at the scene, officers found a 16-month-old child left unattended in a vehicle, police said. The child was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead, according to authorities.

2-year-old found dead in car parked at family home in Dothan
                    NEWS
                    by: The Associated Press, WKRG Staff

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 / 09:53 AM EDT / Updated: Jul 1, 2019 / 09:53 AM EDT

DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) ? A southeast Alabama 2-year-old has been found dead in a car parked at his family?s home.

Dothan Police Capt. Will Benny says a preliminary investigation suggests the child entered the car on his own sometime on Friday.
                    DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) – A southeast Alabama 2-year-old has been found dead in a car parked at his family’s home. Dothan Police Capt. Will Benny says a preliminary investigation suggests the…

Comment

Missing 2-Year-Old Denton Boy Sarbesh Gurung Found Dead Inside Vehicle
                      July 3, 2019 at 8:54 am

Correction: Denton police initially said the vehicle Sarbesh was found in belonged to a family member. They later sent a statement saying that information was incorrect and that the vehicle actually belonged to a neighbor.

DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) ? Police in Denton had been searching for a missing 2-year-old for more than 15 hours when a horrible discovery was made.

It was around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday when officers found little Sarbesh Gurung in the back of an SUV at the apartment complex where he lived with his family.

At a morning news conference Denton Police Department Chief Frank Dixon said, ?We stand here this morning heartbroken and it is with my deepest sorrow that I let you all know that we did locate Sarbesh this morning, just shortly after six o?clock. He was found in a vehicle and he was found deceased.?

Comment

Child dies after being left in a hot car, pushing national death toll to 19 this year
                        Olivia Sanchez, USA TODAY Published 7:22 p.m. ET July 9, 2019 | Updated 9:50 p.m. ET July 9, 2019

A 3-year-old boy died Tuesday in a parking lot at the University of Southern Indiana after being left strapped in a carseat all day, according to the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office.

Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear identified the child as Oliver Dill. Oliver's father discovered him and sought help from the University of Southern Indiana Children's Center around 1:45 p.m., according to the Evansville Courier & Press. The boy later died.

Oliver is the 19th child to die in a hot car in the United States this year, according to NoHeatStroke.Org, an effort to track vehicular heat stroke deaths backed by the National Safety Council.
                        The young toddler who died today in Indiana is the 19th child to die in a hot car in the United States this year, according to NoHeatStroke.Org.

Comment

Dad charged after 3-year-old left in car dies of heatstroke, marking 20th hot car death in 2019
                          Nelson Oliveira
                          By NELSON OLIVEIRA
                          | NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
                          JUL 12, 2019 | 12:18 PM

A Tennessee father has been charged in the death of a 3-year-old boy who police said was left unattended in a car for about two hours Thursday, marking at least the 20th hot car death in the country this year.

Officers found the child, identified as Daylin Palmer, alone in the vehicle about 5 p.m. in Smyrna, a Rutherford County town south of Nashville. Emergency personnel tried to save him, but the boy died of a heatstroke, police said in a news release.
                          A Tennessee father has been charged in the death of a 3-year-old boy who police said was left unattended in a car for about two hours Thursday, marking at least the 20th hot car death in the countr…

Comment

Baby girl dies after she?s left in hot car outside grocery store
                            POSTED 5:00 PM, JULY 16, 2019, BY JON BURKETT AND WEB STAFF, UPDATED AT 05:11PM, JULY 16, 2019

RICHMOND, Va. -- A baby girl left in a hot car died Tuesday afternoon in Richmond, Crime Insider sources told Jon Burkett.

The child, believed to be 10-months old, was left in the vehicle while the adult she was with went grocery shopping, those sources told Burkett.

The car was then driven to a home along the 4600 block of Britannia Road, between Broad Rock Boulevard and Warwick Road, in South Richmond. That's where emergency crews responded just before 2 p.m.

The child was left in the vehicle while the adult she was with went grocery shopping, Crime Insider sources told Jon Burkett.

Comment

Dad charged in death of twin babies he left in hot car
                              By Kenneth Garger July 27, 2019 | 1:10am | Updated

Juan Rodriguez, 39, was charged with two counts each of criminally negligent homicide and manslaughter for leaving his infant twins, Mariza and Phoenix, in the back seat of his Honda Accord while he was inside James J. Peters VA Hospital in Kingsbridge, where he works as a social worker.

The father, who lives in Rockland County, told cops he parked at his job at 8 a.m.

He only realized he left his kids behind once he drove off after work at about 4 p.m., police said.
                              The Rockland County dad who left his 1-year-old twins in the back of his car in The Bronx for hours, killing them, is awaiting arraignment on manslaughter charges early Saturday. Neighbors and a fr…

Comment

Working...
                              X