• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Vibrio vulnificus 2016

Link to 2015 thread: https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...ulnificus-2015

2nd Texas man infected with flesh-eating bacteria
    USA TODAY NETWORK KVUE-TV, Austin 12:37 p.m. EDT June 25, 2016

KYLE, Texas ? For the second time in two weeks, a Texas man has been hospitalized with a flesh-eating bacterial infection after spending a day at the beach with his family.

Adrian Ruiz, 42, of Buda, Texas, and his family went on a Father's Day getaway to Port Aransas, Texas, near Corpus Christi. But Sunday he developed a headache and fever and noticed a red rash on his leg, according to Ruiz's family.

The cause of the infection was diagnosed later in the week as Vibrio vulnificus bacteria, commonly known as flesh eating because its toxins kill skin cells they come in contact with through existing cuts and scrapes. Ruiz was admitted Monday to Seton Medical Center Hays in Kyle.
    On June 17, doctors at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital in Houston had to amputate the right leg of Brian Parrott, 50, of Jacinto City, Texas, after he contracted a severe Vibrio infection on a June 12 beach trip to Galveston.

Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria while surf fishing off of Louisiana

BY
    KERI BLAKINGER
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Updated: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 4:19 PM
    A woman in Louisiana is sounding the alarm about underwater dangers after she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria while surf fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

The problems started on May 12, when Kelly Kohen Blomberg was in the Gulf of Mexico near Grand Isle, a barrier island known for fishing.
    Instead of healing, the small scratches had turned into an oozing, gaping wound ? and Blomberg had to head back to the hospital to get a skin graft and have dead tissue surgically removed. She's now had two surgeries and there's still a gaping hole in her foot, though doctors are hoping the skin graft will take so the wound can start healing over.
    A woman in Louisiana is sounding the alarm about underwater dangers after she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria while surf fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. The problems started on May 12, when Kelly…

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Texas

State releases vibrio health advisory

By Laura Garcia
    June 27, 2016 at 11:21 p.m.
    Updated June 28, 2016 at 6 a.m.

Each year during the warmer months, there are reports of people contracting "flesh-eating" bacteria after visiting Gulf Coast beaches.

State public health officials have released an advisory on the prevention of vibriosis and urge people to take preventative measures.

Vibrio can be contracted when an open wound is exposed to the bacteria, which lives in warm seawater or through the consumption of raw oysters, clams or other seafood.

The bacteria naturally lives in coastal waters and are in higher concentrations between May and October.

As of Friday, 27 cases of Vibrio, including both wound infections and gastrointestinal illnesses, had been reported in Texas.

In 2015, there were 102 cases reported, according state health services.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Florida
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibrio.png
Views:	85
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	756656

Mississippi

JULY 5, 2016 2:26 PM
      Hancock County man has state’s first 2016 case of vibrio

JUSTIN MITCHELL AND JEFF CLARK
      Sun Herald

A spokesperson for the Mississippi State Department of Health has confirmed one case of vibrio vulnificus in Hancock County.

The person with the bacterial infection is a Hancock County man who has not been identified.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/news/health...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Florida

Views:	86
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	757032

Comment

Virginia

Flesh-eating bacteria strikes Richmond man
          Monday, July 18th 2016, 8:32 pm EDT
          Monday, July 18th 2016, 8:50 pm EDT
          By Curt Autry, AnchorCONNECT
          Source: NBC12

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -
          Like most people in the Richmond area, Charles Ballard Jr. and his dad Charles Ballard Sr. didn?t give it a second thought when it comes to wading in the ocean. That would prove to be a mistake.

While fishing in Virginia Beach on June 11, both Charles Sr. and Jr. got tiny cuts on their feet from stepping on jagged rocks. Three days later, Charles Sr. saw those cuts become open sores. He was rushed to Chippenham hospital, where he was diagnosed with a rare, flesh-eating bacteria - Vibrio Vulnificus.
          While fishing in Virginia Beach on June 11, both Charles Sr. and Jr. got tiny cuts on their feet from stepping on jagged rocks. Three days later, Charles Sr. saw those cuts become open sores.

Virginia/Maryland

Flesh-eating bacteria killed retired Philly cop
          Updated: JULY 20, 2016 ? 1:08 AM EDT

by Sam Wood, Staff Writer
          There were few things that Jerome Rodio, a retired Philadelphia police officer, loved more than fishing.

On a dock last week on Chesapeake Bay, Rodio watched as an older man worked to bring up several crab traps. Rodio, 75, offered to help. A trap scratched the inside of Rodio's arm as he lifted it out of the shallow water.

Three days later, Rodio, of Oxford, Chester County, was dead.

"At one point he showed me the scratch and we laughed about it," said son Gene, who accompanied his father on a boat that morning to reel in perch. "It was only two inches, like a nasty cat had taken a swing at him."

The injury wasn't deep. Jerome Rodio washed it out with bay water, which apparently harbored the bacteria that led to his death.
          There were few things that Jerome Rodio, a retired Philadelphia police officer, loved more than fishing. On a dock last week on Chesapeake Bay, Rodio watched as an older man worked to bring up several crab traps. Rodio, 75, offered to help. A trap scratched the inside of Rodio's arm as he lifted it out of the shallow water.

Comment

Florida Click image for larger version

Views:	75
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	757432

http://www.floridahealth.gov/disease...cus/index.html

Mississippi

MSDH confirms Vibrio case in Forrest County
            Thursday, July 21st 2016, 3:39 pm EDT
            Thursday, July 21st 2016, 3:52 pm EDT
            By Amanda LaBrot, ReporterCONNECT

FORREST COUNTY, MS (WDAM) - The Mississippi State Department of Health confirms a Forrest County resident has the second state's second case of Vibrio vulnificus of 2016.

Liz Sharlot with MSDH said she could not give any details about the person with the infection, but did confirm the person contracted the bacteria in Mississippi gulf waters.
            http://www.wdam.com/story/32501041/m...5OLhEQz0.email
            Last edited by Ronan Kelly; July 24, 2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Florida

Views:	75
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	757888

Comment

Florida

Views:	66
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	758392

Comment

Florida

Views:	60
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	758764

Comment

Alabama

Mobile County man contracts Vibrio Vulnificus from Dauphin Island
                    BY TAREN REED MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12TH 2016

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) ? UPDATE 9/13: Health officials tell Local 15 News the man contracted the bacteria in waters around Dauphin Island. An exact location was not given.

ORIGINAL STORY

A 71-year-old man from Mobile County has been diagnosed with the bacterial organism vibrio vulnificus and is recovering in a local hospital, officials with the Mobile County Health Department (MCHD) said Friday. Because of patient privacy rights, no additional information has been released.
                    WPMI NBC 15 provides local news, weather forecasts, notices of events and items of interest in the community, sports and entertainment programming for Mobile and nearby towns and communities in the Mobile Bay area including, in Alabama: Mobile, Prichard, Saraland, Satsuma, Creola, Bay Minette, Spanish Fort, Daphne, Fairhope, Irvington, Theodore, Tillmans Corner, Semmes, Loxley, Robertsdale, Chunchula, Grand Bay, Bayou La Batre, Point Clear, Foley, Elberta, Lillian, Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Atmore, Brewton, McIntosh, Thomasville, Citronelle, Chickasaw, Dauphin Island, Mount Vernon, and Summerdale; in Florida: Perdido Key, Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach, Cantonment, Pace, Brent, Gulf Breeze, and Milton; and in Mississippi: Pascagoula, Moss Point, Gautier, Ocean Springs, and Biloxi.

Florida

Views:	105
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	760480

Comment

Source: http://www.pulseheadlines.com/fleshe...an-city/53233/

Flesh-eating bacteria kills a Man in Ocean City
                      By Maria Fernanda Guanipa / Sunday, 23 Oct 2016 03:33PM

On September 11, when Michael Funk was cleaning his crab pot, little could he imagine that he would be dead in just four days out of a flesh-eating bacteria which came in contact with a cut he had on his leg.

The bacteria he got is the Vibrio Vulnificus, more commonly known as a flesh-eating bacteria...

Comment

Working...
                      X