Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

States with highest population-based death rates - what's going on out west? Posts from 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: States with highest population-based death rates - what's going on out west?

With the latest deaths reported in Montana, the total is 17 for a death rate of 17.6, putting it 5th behind Arizona. Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming are contiguous to one another and are all in the top five for population-based death rates.

I'm still waiting on Week 46 data from South Dakota and Wyoming.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: States with highest population-based death rates - what's going on out west?

The highest fatality rates are among Hispanics and Pacific Islanders in Alaska according to Alaska Denise. Well that would jibe with lower availability of vitamin D. As for native American populations that number would be very hard to track. How many of us have at least a small amount of indigenous blood? You would have to do a very large DNA sampling to find out that statistic. Sounds like a valuable research paper.
      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
      Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

If looking at contiguous states of South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana then one has to ask why are the rates for Nebraska and North Dakota so low in comparison?

Comment

I'll throw out an idea, dont have enough info to determine the actual residential location of the victims- but those states probably have some of the lowest population densities, and this may relate to distance to healthcare facilities,and the likelyhood that individuals will wait longer to seek medical treatment, and thus be sicker when finally reaching the doctor or hospital. In my own experience, the more rural (and thus, more self reliant in general) the population, the less likely they are to seek medical treatment early in a disease.
          Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
          Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
          Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
          Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
          Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
          To weave it into fabric..
          Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
          All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
            The highest fatality rates are among Hispanics and Pacific Islanders in Alaska according to Alaska Denise. Well that would jibe with lower availability of vitamin D. As for native American populations that number would be very hard to track. How many of us have at least a small amount of indigenous blood? You would have to do a very large DNA sampling to find out that statistic. Sounds like a valuable research paper.
            I didn't explain the situation well.

The highest rates/100,000 are among AI/AN (American Indian/AlaskaNative and A/PI (Asian/Pacific Islander). There are no stats for Hispanics because there are so few in Alaska. Blacks (even less Vit D) have lower rates than AI/AN and A/PI. The lowest rate/100,000 is for Whites. The actual DHSS says "the race-specific hospitalization rates were highest for AI/AN and A/PI persons, particularly those aged <25 years."

Blacks had 100&#37; underlying conditions (only 4 cases), A/PI - 89%, AI/AN - 73%, whites - 63%. So underlying conditions don't have the same ranking as attack rate.

Based on my personal observations, obesity is directly related to those rates.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by kiwibird View Post

Are people who have no medical insurance more likely to take over the counter pharmaceuticals like cepacol? which has benzocaine?

Easy-to-read patient leaflet for Benzocaine Lozenges. Includes indications, proper use, special instructions, precautions, and possible side effects.

http://healthcare.utah.edu/pharmacy/alerts/147.htm
              Do they still use benzocaine as a topical anaesthetic for ECMO patients ( and intubation)? https://www.ctvnews.ca/health-canada...caine-1.633352

"The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

• kiwibird
                kiwibird commented
                Editing a comment
                I would like to make clear that this is a post and question from 2009 and I wonder if it is still used/relevant. Original posts are on page 2 of this thread.
            Working...
            X