X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be you in the future?

Italian recluse taken from apartment after 26 years
    Mon Sep 11, 2006 09:33 AM ET

MILAN (Reuters) - When Italian health officials came to remove a woman from the apartment she has not left in more than two decades they had to don respirators against the stench, newspapers reported Sunday.
    The woman, named only as "Carmela," was in her late 50s, weighed about 30 kg (66 pounds) and had hair two metres (seven feet) long when officials came to take her to hospital, La Repubblica, Il Giorno and La Stampa newspapers reported.
    Firefighters and health officials in Macerata, a city about 200 km (120 miles) northeast of Rome, found the apartment's windows sealed with adhesive tape and the shutters jammed shut.
    A bout of influenza 26 years ago terrified Carmela so much that she tried to seal herself off from germs by barricading herself in her home, the papers said.
    Her plight came to the attention of Italian authorities after her brother, who leaves tinned food outside her front door, called police to say that upcoming medical treatment would prevent him from carrying on.
    "Adamo" has not seen his sister in 10 years, La Republicca reported.
    Carmela's main contact with neighbors has been to shout a single message through her door. "Shut the window on the landing!"

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jh...ddlyEnoughNews

with a hat-tip to pocketfullaposies
    http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Re: Could this be you in the future?

Stench? Why would there be a stench? Did she give up bathing too? If I have to give up bathing I'm taking my ball and going home. :p
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Re: Could this be you in the future?

Bump this just for the of it.

May we remain sane.

Comment

Working...
      X