Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you take Vitamin D3 this winter - and did you catch the flu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you take Vitamin D3 this winter - and did you catch the flu?

Were you taking Vitamin D3 supplements and did you catch the flu?

If you were and you did catch the flu were you taking a small dose and were your symptoms mild? If you could post this information below it would be very helpful.
    Took Vitamin D3 and didn't catch the flu.
    50.00%
    Took Vitamin D3 and caught the flu.
    7.14%
    Didn't take Vitamin D3 and didn't catch the flu.
    39.29%
    Didn't take Vitamin D3 and caught the flu.
    3.57%

The poll is expired.

"The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Re: Did you take Vitamin D3 this winter - and did you catch the flu?

OK,I'll participate, although it's not relevant.

I wasn't exposed and I took a bit D3, but not much.
    So I voted 3.)
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Why don't you think it is relevant?

Comment

because I was not exposed. No contact with children or (potentially) sick people.
        And there was not much in our area anyway.
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Fair enough! Good you didn't get it either way!

Comment

Thanks for the reminder; I started to take Vit D and then forgot

I haven't gotten the flu (yet); although I did have some type of ILI last April before I started on the Vit D.
            The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

If any recall, my son had taken 50,000 units of D twice a week (because his blood work showed insufficient). He took it for approximately 4 months when he contracted the flu. My blood work showed just within the sufficient range, so I was not taking it. I did not catch it from my son or anyone else. I could only vote once, so I voted under "did not take and did not catch".

Comment

I did take some vd3 but never take vitamins anyway. I did take a few and have a big bottle of them. I havent caught the flu yet, and Brenda and I just did get the H1 shot 10 days ago for 10$ a piece. Finally!
                CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

My wife and I take 1000 units a day and have not had the vax (yet). So far, so good. She works in a doctors office exposed to sick people all day. Don't know if the vitamin D helped, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Comment

Last April when this whole thing emerged, I had to be hospitalized for pneumonia. I had flu , but they would not test as it was so early on in pandemic and that was when you had exposure to being in Mexico or had been around someone who had been there. However, my Vit. D levels were below normal. I believe Vit. D does help with the immune system.
                    Last edited by ms4920; February 14, 2010, 01:20 PM. Reason: can spell or write

Comment

I didn't take vit D3, and hadn't flu, but I get the flu shot.

Comment

Lit has it that one needs as much as 5000 iu per day.
                        That is estimated to be produced by 20 min of sunshine per day.

How much milk that is I don't know.

How much is needed for flu protection?

Comment

Originally posted by DrRugby View Post
                          Lit has it that one needs as much as 5000 iu per day.
                          That is estimated to be produced by 20 min of sunshine per day.

How much milk that is I don't know.

How much is needed for flu protection?
                          Per nutritiondata.com, fat free has NO vitamin D, 1% has 127 IU, & 2% has 98.
                          It would take 39 glasses of 1% milk to get 5000 IU/day!

I know I take over 5000 iu per day for lots of reasons in addition to protection against viruses.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Could the numbers be somewhat skewed because this is Flutrackers and members here know intimately what precautions to take to help avoid getting flu in the first place?
                            We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Yes - I think you are right Amish. Not a perfectly thought through poll! Perhaps we could do another - I should have ticked the box for multiple entries for families as well. It is interesting that only half of us were taking Vit D3 though! I wonder if people were taking other stuff - like garlic. I hadn't even thought about the vaccination either. It is only just recently available over here (NZ). Thanks for the info everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X