• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many workers fear losing jobs if flu pandemic strikes

Hat-tip to russell family!

11/3/06 8:15 AM
    <!--Public-->Many workers fear losing jobs if flu pandemic strikes
    By Bill Leonard
    Nearly one-fourth of working Americans say they probably would lose their job or business if forced to stay home for seven to 10 days during a severe flu pandemic, according to a study released on Oct. 27 by the Harvard School of Public Health.

The study found that most U.S. citizens would cooperate during the early stages of a pandemic or health emergency. However, after a week to 10 days, financial needs and worries about losing their jobs or businesses would force nearly 25 percent of the survey respondents back to work. More than one-third (35 percent) of the respondents reported that they would still go to work if public health officials told them to stay home but their employers wanted them to report to work.
    ?The findings of this survey are a wake-up call for business, that employees have serious financial concerns and are unclear about the workplace plans and policies for dealing with pandemic flu,? said Robert J. Blendon, a professor with the Harvard School of Public Health and co-author of the study.
    While the study found that workers are willing to make major changes in their lives and routines to help prevent the spread of the flu, confusion over how to respond to the crisis is evident.
    ?I believe awareness and planning for a pandemic crisis is better than the survey actually shows, but there is still much that needs to be done and questions answered [about] how the federal government will respond, such as when and how do schools, airports and port facilities close when a pandemic strikes,? said Ann Beauchesne, executive director of the homeland security division of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
    Beauchesne says several large global businesses have taken leading roles in planning for a flu pandemic. She says the leadership from the multinational corporations makes great sense from economic and public health standpoints.
    ?It?s in these businesses? best interest to help reduce the economic impact of a pandemic,? Beauchesne said. ?And one of the best ways is to make sure that businesses have emergency plans in place that keep our supply and economic chain intact.?
    Few aware of employer plans
    Only 19 percent of the 1,700 respondents to the Harvard survey reported that they were aware of their employers? plans to respond to a flu pandemic. Approximately 22 percent stated they are very or somewhat worried that their employer would make them go to work even if they were sick. And half the respondents believed that their company would stay open if public health officials recommended the shutdown of some businesses in their community.

Beauchesne believes that awareness and planning for a flu pandemic are higher than the report indicates. She says that awareness about the challenges posed by the flu pandemic is strong among the U.S. Chamber?s member companies.
    ?Large numbers of employers have conducted training and planning sessions, and I believe workers are aware of the issue and what their organizations are planning to do when a flu pandemic strikes,? Beauchesne said.
    However, others disagree and believe the report may understate the problem. The real challenge is carrying the message to the millions of medium- to small-sized businesses throughout the United States and getting them to buy into the notion that raising awareness and planning for a pandemic crisis make good business sense.
    ?The message just has not reached smaller and mid-sized companies,? said Philip Deming, president of Philip S. Deming Associates, a human resource and risk management consulting firm in King of Prussia, Pa. ?A major natural catastrophe like Hurricane Katrina clearly has shown that it makes great business sense to have crisis plans in place. However, many smaller businesses just don?t have the luxury or resources to shut down during a crisis for a long period of time, So, the economic and financial concerns highlighted in the study make sense.?
    Deming is a member of the Society for Human Resource Management?s Employee Health, Safety & Security Special Expertise Panel and acts as chair of the panel?s crisis management working group. The group of HR professionals is discussing ways to engage small- and medium-sized businesses and get them to buy into the value of developing crisis management plans.
    ?Once employers recognize something makes good business sense, then you get buy-in, and that?s what is needed here,? Deming said.
    Beauchesne agrees, saying that the Harvard report should be a great reminder that the public and private sectors need to prepare for a pandemic crisis.
    ?I believe this report will generate some interest and discussion. Any report or information that helps to keep our focus on this critical issue is a good thing.? she said.
    Bill Leonard is senior writer for HR News.

http://www.shrm.org/hrnews_published...080.asp#P-11_0
    http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Re: Many workers fear losing jobs if flu pandemic strikes

If there were a serious decline in customers, I can't imagine many businesses staying open. Will these jobs actually continue to be there for the duration of a pandemic wave?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

My benchmark for how Americans will react to a pandemic is Katrina. I doubt, with even a 2% fatality rate, that Americans will be clamoring to go to work.
      Last edited by sharon sanders; November 5, 2006, 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
      Judith --

What the method does not allow for cannot be proven or disproven using it.

Comment

I wish I knew the answers to this- I imagine that CFR will have a great deal to do with what businesses stay up and which dont.

In anything serious (ie, similar to 1918 or worse) I think all non-essential services will take a hit. A few things may suddenly be perceived as esssential that are now not in that category- such as TV and radio, and internet providers, cable providers, etc.

One thing Ive heard bandied about for awhile is a goverment mandated holiday on bills, such as was done for the Katrina victims. How that could possibly work, for the whole country and for a longer period of time- I dont know if its feasible. I hope some planning work in high places is being done that does include some facet of this.

People will fear losing their homes if they cant pay the mortgage and other essential bills. Remove that fear, and many will stay home as directed. I think the survey shows that.That could potentially slow the spread, and might be a valuable way to decrease the M/M (morbidity/mortality) until an effective vaccine is produced and ready for distribution. Another possible inducement is an order that all people stayign home as directed by the relevant official cannot be terminated or disciplined, and create penalties for any employer who does so.

How to make that possible? I'd love to hear our financially savvy members discuss this. I dont think its unprecedented, Ive been told there have times something similar has been done in the past-though I'm not personally familiar with the situations. How could somethign like that work, without everything falling apart?
        Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
        Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
        Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
        Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
        Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
        To weave it into fabric..
        Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
        All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

With the emergency powers act and other legislation there will be a "grace" period established for payment of debts.

Frankly, the financial institutions do not want the assets that are secured. They will "make payment arrangements". The important thing to remember is to be truthful with your lenders if you lose your job. Most will work out a schedule, with or without, a government mandated order.

It is also important for people to not "freak out" if they lose their jobs. There will be food banks, and many neighborhood groups and church organizations are beginning to address these issues. Many utility companies will also work out arrangements.

Try to figure out what skills you have that you can utilize in a pandemic.

Look at this thread for ideas:

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123

Comment

Originally posted by DRJJ
            ...... I doubt, with even a 2% fatality rate, that Americans will be clamoring to go to work.
            ditto

Osterholm's remarks about the airline industry - who would want to get on an airplane?

I could see some businesses that handle essential supplies operating a "call ahead, come to the door and pick it up" service.....or some such thing. BUt even then, many may feel safer doing without or begging neighbors.

Walking down aisles filled with people may disappear for months.

Florida1 is right - the last thing banks want is a bunch of homes to sell.

The government paying for utilities might be cheaper than more people filling hospitals and businesses loosing their workers (when they finally reopen).

It will be interesting to see what creative solutions arise.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Working...
            X